Your thoughts on Paul Williams, now?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Ron Champ Miller, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I don't believe Valentino has anything against black fighters. If I'm not mistaken, he's previously stated he has a lot of black Puerto Ricans in his family.

2. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Margarito wasn't relevant when he faced a green Martinez in 2000 because he too was green. Floyd was still at 130-135 during that time. Margarito didn't even become relevant at welterweight until 2003-2005.

Margarito has never been a top fighter at 154. Who has he ever defeated at 154 to give us the slightest indication he'd be successful up there? Maurice Brantley?

3. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

154 is devoid of any real elite guys at the moment, besides the faded Cotto. I will say however that Dzinziruk would whup Williams's ass and Paul is lucky that fight never happened.

4. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

Being the key words.

I was partially just busting his chops however.

5. Erik

Erik Member

I was referring to when Williams fought and beat Margarito at 147.

6. Valentino

Valentino Member

I will answer your question on the black fighters:

RJJ, PBF, Williams, Dawson and Lewis are overrated.

Everybody else are not.

Considering that thousands of black fighters have fought in this sport...ranking 4 or 5 as overrated is not such a big deal.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  7. Valentino

Valentino Member

And then went on getting schooled by Quintana of all people about 6 or 7 months later.

I would argue and say that Quintana had a better argument at a tie-breaker than Williams has now against Martinez.

8. El tanke

El tanke Member

I agree with you, I thought Williams was overrated before this and now everyone is gonna be gunning for his chin.
    He kind of reminds me of Terry Norris, great skills weak chin spells disaster.
    But I think Norris was better than Williams is.
    IMO Williams is a B+ fighter, but we will see what kind of fighter he becomes after this loss.

9. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

No he didn't, Williams is much more established as a fighter. Quintana had 1 big win over Williams and got smashed in the rematch. He did nothing after that. Williams has done a LOT more than Quintana in his career and is more established thats a fact. Not that it really matters, I think Williams is moving down in weight and don't want a 3rd fight anyways.

10. Valdosta

RJJ,PBF and Lewis are 3 of the best fighters over the past 20 years or so and this is coming from someone who is only a fan of 1 of them.

11. Joe King

Joe King Member

Thanks for clearing that up for them.

12. Valdosta

Also when you have bad defense it's going to catch up with you sooner or later. Williams never has been a smart boxer with his size, nor has he improved his defense. Regardless, he still had quite a few good wins. I hope Juan Manuel Lopez was watching the fight because he has that type of KO in his future if he don't improve his defense.

13. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Most of them don't believe Williams defeated Martinez in the first fight. Therefore, it's easy to see why they perceived him as being a bit overrated.

14. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

Yes he was and he had the wins to back it up. Good call on him being overrated, it only took 41 fights against excellent opposition and ten years as a pro, multiple years as a world champion in multiple weight classes for you to be proven right! :thumb:

15. Valentino

Valentino Member

Williams was overrated.

Overrated does not mean bum. It means that he is rated higher than he should.

16. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

Xplosive's words were "overrated hype job" i believe. And i guess we are splitting hairs... i think it was fair to rate the guy #5 overall (with martinez right ahead or behind him), and i strongly believe he deserved a place in the top ten.

17. Joe King

Joe King Member

Even if he had lost that fight, he would be in the top 10 P4P, just like Martinez was.

18. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I'm sure some people would've still kept him there due to the closeness of the fight. But where is he now?

Regarding p4p or top 10 lists as I refer to them, there's one thing you should know by now. Lists are subjective. One can't really determine whether a fighter deserved his top 10 ranking to begin with, until the decade is over. Looking back over the last 10 years, there were several top 10 staples in all fan's lists and reputable publications throughout that span of time. That's a top 10 fighter. Examples: PBF, Mosley, Pacquiao, Marquez.

19. Joe King

Joe King Member

You should know by now that KO losses remove fighters from the top 10 but they can return with some success. Yes, it's subjective.That is obvious.

20. Valentino

Valentino Member

If the fighter losses by KO against a BIGGER (size wise) top 5 then he should not be removed if he was in the top 5 too. I would not remove Pac if he was to lose by KO against Martinez.