Your thoughts on Paul Williams, now?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Ron Champ Miller, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Valentino

Valentino Member

I knew Martinez would beat him. I always considered PW and for that matter the other fool at 175 lbs (forgot his name - he is black and has little punching power) as overrated fighters.

2. Joe King

Joe King Member

You picked by 2nd round KO? If not, don't get high and mighty because you didn't know this would happen.

3. Valentino

Valentino Member

I knew he was going to win to the point that I didn't even bother watching HBO. That's how sure I was.

4. Valentino

Valentino Member

The other guy I was referring to was Chad Dawson. I remember writing about Dawson and Williams being a bit overrated...IMO.

5. Erik

Erik Member

Haha I said this last night but because of the way Martinez didnt even see the punch land. Had his head down. Reminded me of how McCall landed and was not looking.

6. Erik

Erik Member

Not sure of any boxing fan that wouldnt watched this rematch going in. Unless they really had some important plans etc.

7. Erik

Erik Member

You think with all these experts they would play the prediction league. Would be an easy cash prize for guys that are rarely wrong.

8. TyrantT316

TyrantT316 Member

This two fight series reminds me a lot of Corrales/Castillo.

Great first fight with Corrales pulling it out. Even though Corrales had the weaker chin, he still fought his heart out in that first fight and won. Then in the second fight, just got caught in between punches.

Paul Williams, had shown a decent chin, but never looked like someone who COULDN'T be cracked. He fought his heart out in that first fight and won. Then in the second fight, just got caught in between punches.

I still don't know who would win a third fight. This also reminds me of Jones Jr/Tarver. The first fight, Jones took some shots, and fought to win. The second fight he just got caught with a perfect left. The third fight, he fought safer and barely lasted the decision.

I think Williams has a bit more confidence and is fresher than Jones was in that third Tarver fight. So while Martinez would be the favorite in a rubber match, I wouldn't be surprised if Paul Williams somehow was able to win. But right now, I would pick Sergio in a third fight.

Anything can happen though.

9. mikE

mikE Member

If there is one thing boxing fans cannot remember, it's that.

No need for a 3rd fight because we know who's better now?? Geesh.

10. Erik

Erik Member

So was PW overated when he went 12 close rounds with Martinez and won a SD? Or he was still a solid top 5 guy then but after beating Martinez he became overated? What does that make Martinez then? So is Martinez a joke since he lost to an overated fighter? Not sure where you guys are going with this?

11. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

Anybody that thinks Paul Williams is overrated is overreacting to a bad loss. This loss shouldn't discredit everything else he has done in boxing.

12. Valentino

Valentino Member

The issue is that I ALWAYS thought he was overrated. I also thought Dawson was overrated.

13. I dunno about over-rated. I guess I wasn't paying that close attention but it seemed to me Williams was appropriately rated. He had a belt and some good wins. Was anyone calling him Paul Williams, World Beater while I was away?

14. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

Paul Williams was not overrated. He was a top 10 P4P figher, maybe borderline top 5 because of his wins in the ring. He beat very good fighters and showed excellent qualities in all his matches. anyone calling him a fraud off of this KO is a numbskull

15. handolo

handolo Member

just saw the fight for the first time on hbo replay. :eeeeeky:

he may not be overrated but GODDAMN he got KTFO! i don't think he's gonna regain mentally from that, which sucks. he was exciting to watch, for a tall lanky guy he was never shy about mixing it up but expect to see a new cautious pwill after this fight, he still has the skills to compete but he'll never be able to get that image of being face down on the mat with his eyes open out of his head which in turn will make him a safety first BORING fighter from now on.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  16. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Like i said, he hit the ground like Big John Tate and if you remember Tate adopted a "new" safety first approach for his next fight against the pre Ali and Holmes version of Trevor Berbick and got kayoed in 9. It's over.

17. gushiken

gushiken Member

True,no matter who his next opponent is ,it will be his toughest fight.

18. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

Is there any black fighter in history who Tino DOESNT think is overrated? But in this case.... he's right about Williams. Dawson is a very good fighter, but lazy. Even still, he was robbed of a KO against Pascal.

But Williams is FAR more overrated than Dawson, because the hype train for Chad was NEVER as big as the Williams hype train.

Paul's a good fighter, but not good enough to deserve the enormous hype he recieved. The Tommy Hearns comparisons were comical! Paul is closer to the level of Milton McCrory than Hearns.

His defense has always been horrible, and it was just a matter of time before someone caught him with the right shot and cleaned his clock.

And furthermore.... no I dont think he'll ever be the same again. A fighters chin is almost NEVER again the same after getting KO'd like that, and Paul DEPENDS on his chin, because like I said.... he has no idea how to spell defense.

19. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

EXACTLY why he's overrated! In no way, shape, or form was Paul Williams EVER a top 5 P4Pder.

20. Erik

Erik Member

To Explosive and Valentino , how do you explain beating Margarito when he was considered avoided by Floyd and one of the best at WW? Then fought and won a close fight with Segio Martinez.

Was he overated then? A slightly better then average boxer can beat Margarito and Martinez? Cant say his chin was weak because he went 12 with both.

He was and still is a really good fighter. Throw in the great size and reach and he is still a top guy at 154.