Your thoughts on Paul Williams, now?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Ron Champ Miller, Nov 20, 2010.

1. At least winky wright (another guy "avoided") never got knocked the fuckkkk out.

where does he go from here? do you put him in against a cream puff?

was he overrated? can he come back at nearly 30?

was the cintron fight the beginning of the end?

your thoughts????

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

he probably needs to take some time off and learn to use his size more resourcefully . . . he probably has 3-4 more good years in him . . . he can make some waves if he learns some defense and how to use his reach

3. I'm wondering if he made a mistake in not boxing martinez, taking him deep into the fight, where perhaps sergio's stamina could have been tested

going toe to toe was obviously a mistake...

4. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

It's over. He hit the canvas like Big John Tate.

5. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

To me it seemed he was going out to try and pull another Quintana blowout.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

I was thinking the exact same thing . . .

7. i suppose he could go down in wt....

8. El tanke

El tanke Member

IMO he has always been overrated.
    And tonight it was clear, that he is decent but not as good as some people though he was.
    He needs to take a coupe of easier fights and go from there.

9. Erik

Erik Member

See I thought Martinez was making the mistake and trying to trade with PW. I thought Martinez shoulda been boxing early on. Guess it worked out for Sergio.

10. Erik

Erik Member

Cant really say he was overated. He beat Margarito when margo was in his prime. Has a few other solid wins. I mean we knew he wasnt indestructible when he lost to Quintana right?

He probably should try to stay at 154 and make another run. Like you guys say box and use his size early then throw alot later in the fight. He doesnt have that 1 punch Ko power to be standing and trading. Its the accumulation of punches in bunches etc

11. BKING

BKING Pound 4 Pound King

My thoughts are:

Sergio Martinez is an underrated puncher. In reality, he KOed Cintron with one punch in the 10th of their fight. Cintron whined his way back into the fight. Martinez can crack.

Williams rushed Martinez wrecklessly and didn't have any respect for that underrated punching power. Martinez waited for Williams to make a mistake and capitalized big time. Williams didn't have any respect for Martinez's handspeed. Didn't learn anything from the first fight, when he was hurt and dropped in the first round. This time, he didn't get back up.......

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  12. Joe King

Joe King Member

Wiliams was not overrated at all. This would have happened a long time ago if he was. They were both suitable opponents for one another. It was a great matchup.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Sure, suitable, but I don't think there needs to be a third fight. I don't think it's good for either career and frankly, the question of who is better has been answered. I would like to see Martinez go for the best between 154 and 168. He has already beaten some great competition in a short period of time.

14. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

Sometimes when fighters get KTFO like they can surprise and come right back to form. Meaning they don't remember being KTFO.
    Hearns
    Duran
    Terry Norris
    Starling (after the bell)
    Those fighters come to mind. Came back and won titles. So Williams maybe alright. Or maybe not. Time will tell.

15. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

No need for a third fight Martinez proved he's the better fighter. Williams should stay at 154. His style leaves him open to get hit a lot and he won't last too long doing that at 160. I would rematch him with Cintron at 154 then have him try to fight one of the champs there preferably Cotto where he'd tower over him and could outbox him. It's not the end of the road for Williams he can come back. And as always in boxing the best way to stop being "The Most Avoided Man" in boxing is to lose badly. :lol:

16. BKING

BKING Pound 4 Pound King

I think it's stretching it to call Williams overrated. Lets remember, anything can happen on any given night. The guy was caught with a clean shot, coming in wrecklessly, as Martinez waited for him to make a mistake. Going in, this was a fight between the #3 and #4 best P4P fighters in the world. They went heads up for 12 rounds in a classic almost a year ago. This one ended in a quick, brutal KO. Anything can happen. Martinez is a great fighter and deserves all that he has coming to him from here on out. As for Williams, it's a question of whether or not he will ever be the same after a KO like that. Many fighters who get taken out in that fashion are never the same. RJJ is a prime example.

17. Erik

Erik Member

Funny thing is all these experts that claim they knew Williams was overated all along. You think one of them woulda picked Martinez to crush and PW. Didnt see any of those posts on here before the fight.

18. Jack1000

Jack1000 Boxing Fanatic

Now the question is, will Williams be able to bounce back after that KO?

If he bounces back OK, than it could be that he got caught. This was sort of like when Oliver McCall when he KO'ed Lennox Lewis the first time in terms of it's unexpectedness.

Jack

19. BKING

BKING Pound 4 Pound King

Good point. A lot of people were picking Williams to beat Martinez more convincingly than he did the first time. Younger guy, athletically gifted, wasn't prepared for Martinez the first time, etc. Most of the picks I saw, especially from reputable boxing fans and analysts, were actually going with Williams.

20. BKING

BKING Pound 4 Pound King

Right now, I'd say it's 50/50 whether or not Williams can recover. Some fighters never recover; others are able to do so. I think the Lewis KO is a little different from this KO. McCall got a questionable stoppage over Lewis. Lewis was up at 6 and the referee stopped it. Williams was KOed cold to the point where people thought he might've been dead. That KO was very similiar to the career-ending KOs that Pacquiao scored over Hatton, Glen Johnson scored over RJJ, etc.

Some fighters can recover though. Amir Khan has mounted a nice little comeback, albeit with some careful match making against some feather fisted opponents, after Breidis Prescott almost took his head off a couple years ago. We shall see what happens.