YES OR NO: DOES PACQUIAO DESERVE TO HAVE COTTO'S BELT ON THE LINE?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by lb 4 lb, Jul 31, 2009.

?

Should Cotto-Pacquaio fight be for the WBO welterweight title?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Member

Doesn't negotiating for weeks to reduce the welter champion to drop 3 pounds here 2 pounds there mean the fight is no longer for the welterweight championship?

Or does Manny deserve a pass because he started out as a strawweight?

Personally I say fuck where you started, you want to make history, then fucking make history. You either do it or you don't, you can't negotiate your way to making history, you have to earn that shit. Now if Manny wins I hope they put an asterisk by his record.

2. TLC

TLC Member

Not at a catchweight. I think too much emphasis is put on weight. If you make 147, then do it, if not your problem. Boxing will never go anywhere if fighters and fans alike blame weight for everything.

3. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

The fight is above 140 and Cotto only weighed 146 for his last fight. Yes, his belt should be on the line.

4. BKING

BKING Pound 4 Pound King

Manny Pacquiao is the best P4P fighter in the world, so belts don't make or break him. All that matters is he wins his fights. Cotto is just acting like a little bitch.

I'm starting to believe Margarito beat the confidence and fighting spirit out of him. If the fight is above 140lbs, it is a WELTERWEIGHT fight. Miguel Cotto is the WBO Welterweight Champion, therefore his belt should be on the line in this 12 round welterweight fight. He can weigh 146lbs for Clottey and put his belt on the line, but at 145lbs, no can do for Pacquiao?

My belief that Pacquiao is going to rape him is growing stronger and stronger. EASY WORK. Cotto is going to lose, but he doesn't want to lose his belt in the process.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  5. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

I'd be a hypocrite if I said no. Oscar negotiated B-Hop to come down to 158 I think it was. Ofcourse it turned out the weight didn't matter anyway. This may be the same case. Its all mind games they're playing with each other. The weight won't be the deciding factor in who wins this fight. Put the belts on the line.

6. Always issues and debate with regards to weight. 20 years ago we never had the sheer number of multiple weight classes like what we have now, but I guess this just adds another excuse if a favorite fighter loses.

7. TLC

TLC Member

Agreed! The weight excuse is the most tired and lame excuse in the sport.

X fighter signed a fight to fight X fighter at a certain weight. They both made the weight and fought. Weight is not an excuse to lose. If Bob Foster is stupid enough to fight Joe Frazier at 186, that's his own damn problem, Joe gets full credit for the win.

Some fans think they know some fighters bodies more than they do. :slap:

8. Joe King

Joe King Member

Yes. Any fight between 141 and 147 is a welterweight fight

9. Arben

Arben Member

The welterweight limit is anywhere between 140lbs and 147lbs. This is a welterweight fight.

10. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Member

Well if that is indeed the case I must say I stand corrected.

11. Alabama_Man

Alabama_Man Guest

This is the dumbest thread I've read in 6 months.

12. BKING

BKING Pound 4 Pound King

Pacquiao is on the A-side of the equation in this fight. He's Arum's bread and butter super star. If Cotto loses, he's still a star in his own right, but he knows he'll still have the WBO title as leverage for future fights if he loses to Pacquiao without it being on the line. Afterall, Cotto's stock diminishes considerably after losses to Margarito and Pacquiao (esp if Cotto losses in a BLOW OUT to Pacquiao). Pacquiao's already on the A-side, so that could be a reason why Cotto may not want to put his belt on the line.

13. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard as Fuck

I agree with you on everything else. Having Cotto come in anywhere under 147 is weak.

Who gives a shit if some paper title is on the line? This is Pacquiao vs. a legit, world class (albeit slightly on the other site side of his peak), top five welterweight contender.

It's common knowledge that the further down Cotto goes in weight the weaker his punch resistance is. Even though it's only two pounds, it taints the fight for me.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  14. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

I agree. Also what does Manny lose if Cotto beats him..what does Cotto gain?? Folks will say Cotto was to big anyway so he gains nothing by winning and for all that he has put a belt on the line for a no win situation. Manny will look good for losing unless Cotto clocks him fast which even I do not think is likely...even then the excuse is Cotto too big. You are right the title thing here has no meaning. Ringo

Also for the others...Manny is a big draw but Cotto is huge also especially on the East Coast. That is one of the resons Margo at the end of the day was not given a fight in Mexico...Arum knew that he was better off staying with Cotto...

15. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard as Fuck

I don't know man, the way Pac has been killing guys? I think a win over Pacquiao is worth a TON right now for Cotto. It would be his biggest and most important win to date by far. He has plenty to gain, IMO.

16. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

Normally I agree but lately lots of folks make excuses if their fighter wins or loses. Last time I saw an increase instaure of the nature you speak was Tito/Hopkins..now THAT was huge...Ringo

17. Valdosta

Cotto has tons to gain. He's fighting the champion at 140 who just fucking demolished ODLH and Hatton. A lot of people already think Cotto is on the decline this fight can change that perception and give him some more huge fights.

18. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

Well then I hope Cotto smashes him..and you make tons betting on him..lol..Ringo

19. Valdosta

Timing is everything my friend.:beer: If Cotto hadn't lost to Margarito in brutal fashion and if Pac was moving from 135 to 145 for this fight I would say Cotto has nothing to gain. HOWEVER, Pacquiao has established he can fight with the bigger guys so a Cotto win gets him huge props IMO.

20. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard as Fuck

:haha: I try to learn who the fanboys are quickly so I can just skip their posts.