Wlad vs Lewis

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by zboxz, Nov 26, 2008.

1. zboxz

zboxz Member

Yes they are still trying to make this fight.

Lewis said he might do it for 100 million. And the sick thing is he just just might get that much. The fight has world wide buy all over it.

I never thought a 100 mil was possible but I guess you can never say never.

2. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I read he was already offered 40 million but turned it down. 100 million is nuts. I doubt anyone would fork over that type of money. I mean you'd still have to pay Klitschko a ton of money and it's not going to be cheap.

3. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

No chance, that's just an unrealistic number.

4. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Pretty much.

5. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

the guy has retired. anyone would come out of retirement if offered something as ludicrous as 100 million tho

6. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Wlad KOs Lewis now.

7. Carlos

Carlos ---

Wlad..isn't it Vitali:headscratch:

8. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Yeah...I was thinking about that one too...lol.

9. witton_lane

witton_lane Boxing Fanatics All-Time Great

Yeah it's Vitaly that's still calling out Lewis and dragging up the comeback talk....it's never going to happen. The division died a death the day Lewis retired and has been a bag of shit ever since I'm afraid. Lewis knows it and there's no mileage to be had in coming back to smash the other side of Klitschkos face up.

I can't believe the way Klitschko is still sore about that, losing on cuts is still a TKO and regardless of the scorecards there was only going to be one winner that night - Klitschko hit Lewis on the chin with everything he had and nothing happened, Lewis caught Klitschko with one decent uppercut and he held on for dear life for around 20 seconds at the end of round 6. Lewis was right on the money in the post fight interview, Vitaly would have lasted another 2 rounds MAX before he got knocked out.

10. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Maybe, and I say maybe because under the current structure of PPV it will never work. When Ali fought Frazier the first time in 1971 the fight grossed 20 million in the U.S. alone and a very large percentage of that 20 million was taken in by closed circuit showings of the fight at over 300 locations. 35+ years on at todays prices you can gross that 20 million six or seven fold easily. Thats the only possible way it will work, under traditional marketing it will work like this, if you and I are neighbours or friends and we are going to watch the fight I'm going to your place or you're coming to mine and two people will be watching the fight for the price of one, but if both of us wanted to see the fight and the only way to see it is go to a theaster or a location then both of us have to pay our way. Break down the numbers at say $50.00 a head that would mean you would need 2 million people to line up and pay.

Obviously the two fighter involved aren't of the mystique and aura of Ali and Frazier and the circumstances involved that bought them together, but I might not be going to far out on a limb here in saying that the fight could draw 2 million viewers outside of the United States. The Klitchko's are a marketing machine and Lennox certainly while not an Ali or Frazier does retain a certain mystique so from that point it is doable. Question is , is it really worth the effort.