Win Mike Matos' Money

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

It's the first of the month again and once again we have two questions. The poster who answers both questions correctly within 48 hours of the questions posting will receive $300.00(three hundred dollars).

1. When 1968 Olympic Gold Medalist Ricardo Delgado fought Davey Vazquez on October 5th 1970 it was the first time this had happened in Madison Square Garden in 43 years. What was it. Please note: There are two correct answers to this question I will accept either one.

2. Kid McCoy, Tommy Burns and Sonny Liston are Boxing's only champions to have done this. What is it.

2. BJ*

BJ* Member

something about armed robbery??? nah...more guys did that right? plus can't find anything that says Burns ever did it :lol:

3. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Gotta love Burns.

"I will defend my title as heavyweight champion of the world against all comers, none barred. By this I mean black, Mexican, Indian or any other nationality without regard to color, size or nativity. I propose to be the champion of the world, not the white or the Canadian or the American or any other limited degree of champion."

4. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

A couple of things about Burns. He never had a manager and was known as one of the hardest negotiators of purse deals. Jim Jeffries immediately after he retired did some promoting of heavyweight title bouts a couple of which involved Burns and once said that Burns was so adept at negotiating that by the end of it all Jeffries felt like he was working for Burns. He was also the first champion to openly negotiate perks, he could literally wring every last cent out of a promotion/contract. The "Tommy Burns Model" was followed by Gene Tunney and Sugar Ray Robinson who along with their skill inside the ring could literally wring every last cent out of a promotion/contract.

5. BJ*

BJ* Member

I am bigger than Burns is when he fought Johnson (both height and weight...its true Rebel)

6. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Yes, I know David.

7. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

He was 5'3"?

8. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

1. The Delgado-Vazquez fight in 1970 was the first time in 43 years that a flyweight bout was fought at the Garden.

2. McCoy, Burns and Liston all refereed a world title fight while they were reigning world champions themsleves.

9. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

1. The Delgado-Vazquez fight in 1970 was the first time in 43 years that a flyweight bout was fought at the Garden.

2. McCoy, Burns and Liston all refereed a world title fight while they were reigning world champions themselves.

Did I get both of them right?

I'll message you for my addy...personal check is ok...

:mex:

10. Joe King

Joe King Member

Nice bit of history.:clappy:

11. Carlos

Carlos ---

What was the other correct answer for question 1?

12. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

The flyweight bout that was fought in 1927 at the Garden also involved an Olympic gold medallist, Fidel La Barba. So if someone would have answered a flyweight bout involving an Olympic gold medallist I would have accepted that as well.

13. Valentino

Valentino Member

Very good questions. More doable than your first set several weeks ago. But tough nevertheless.