Wilder vs Ortiz

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by "Bangin'" Dick Bravado, Feb 23, 2018.

1. "Bangin'" Dick Bravado

"Bangin'" Dick Bravado Half-breed , Half Steed

Not only the afro sheen flying... But when he was knocked out, his eyes were literally "x's"... Like on the cartoons when somebody gets hit with an anvil.

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

why did booze bottles always have 3 x's on them in cartoons?

3. Ringside

Ringside El Padrino aka Boxing Fanatics Legend aka The Godf

The best fight I ever saw in that era of 1985 or so to 1999 was one of my favorites(Despite his record) was Derrick Jefferson vs. Mo Harris. It is on u tube and if you never saw it please check it out. Freakin awesome fight. If Derrick had not started fighting at 28 and a doc left a bullet in his body cause it was hard to get to ,from before his fighting days..he could have clocked Wilder with a haymaker if they were in same era(follow me..lol). Unfortunately I made the mistake in going to a fight at the garden looking forward to seeing him in an undercard and he was clocked in what I remember was the first round...flattened. I doubt if he fought after that.

4. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

great fight....better fight was simon brown vs vince pettway

5. Ringside

Great fight. I'm trying to remember ..what other fights maybe even in the last decade or sooner? was a fighter knocked out senseless like that and still boxing away with his hands? I seem to know I've seen it other times or at least one other time since this fight.

6. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

that's the one...he was boxing while on his back but besides that, the fight was non-stop action.

let's not forget the best fight in the last 30 years.....corrales vs Castillo 1.

7. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

speaking of derrick Jefferson, I've said this story many times and i'ma say it again....who cares.

I liked what he said after a fight he had just won once. he said and I'm paraphrasing, "I come here to fight and give fans their money's worth. I bring my lunch pale to work because I know that most fans do the same and they need to get a great fight for their hard earned money".

made me a fan for life because he really fought that way.

8. "Bangin'" Dick Bravado

What about Frank "The Animal" Fletcher vs James "Hard Rock" Green?? STILL.. TO THIS DAY.. The only sanctioned boxing match to EVER go into overtime! (Jack Johnson era excluded)

9. TIP

TIP Member

Frank the animal Fletcher vs Rondon was a vicious ko. TIP

10. sanchito

sanchito BF Resident Douchebag

McClellan v Nigel Benn was one of my favorites. Chiquita v Carbajal. Ugh...and yes agreed regarding Lennox Lewis. He could have beaten any heavyweight in any era at his height. He was just so..."clean"...movement, mechanics, etc.

11. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Really? I think a prime Tyson destroys Lewis. Joe Frazier and Even prime George Foreman. Its interesting that time changes how we look at things. 20 years ago I followed boxing and the hw division religiously now it's just like oh there's was boxing this weekend let me catch the highlights on YouTube. 1990 seems do ancient now.

12. Ringside

I've said this a million times but at his height, the same as mine standing side by side, between 5,9 to 5 10 tops he is pound for pound the best at his prime.. Even a smaller heavyweight like Chris Byrd is taller than Tyson by as much as a few inches. Shit, he is shorter than even Marciano by at least an inch..Marciano was 5 11 and considered now a" light heavyweight" by some.. Joe Lewis? 6 '2''. So...pound for pound in his prime with size factored in gotta be the best in his prime As far as the total career not looking at size factors Lewis has to be perhaps the best. He lost to Rahman because he was doing Oceans 11 remake..lol..but made up for it. He also lost once early in his career. I sat right next to Lewis once at ringside in the garden and he is very huge(also quite goodlooking and very quiet and polite). Very classy guy. I believe he met his mother later that day...which made me wonder that day what's up with him

But in terms of impact on the world, brashness, and guts I will always pic Ali as my personal all time champ!!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  13. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

I get a kick when people say Tys0n lost because he was past his prime. Journeyman Buster Douglass was 6 years older than him. Much more war-worn Evander Holyfield was 4 years older older than him. Lennox Lewis was one year older than him. Mike Tyson got his ass handed to him by all those older fighters. The reason he got past his prime is because he got pummeled by all three of them.

The best fighter Tyson ever fought and beat? Razor Ruddock? Pinklon Thomas? Frank Bruno? Donovan Ruddock? Trevor Berbick? Tony Tucker? Light-Heavyweight Michael Spinks? Thousand year old Larry Holmes?

Tyson was a damn good fighter, but his overall career was a tad overrated.

14. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Joe Frazier would’ve gotten bounced around by Lewis like in his fight with Foreman, lol...

15. Ringside

I myself can't help but factor in the fact he was raised with his mother being a hooker in the floor upstairs from his apartment. His days with Cus showed what he culd have been. But I just saw Buster Douglas a few weeks ago on tv and he looked very affected by the women in his life who screwed him over. I am know was hustled a lot by them I actually like him a lot..maybe the Brooklyn in me and I am a woman supporter for sure but the women like that Robin Givens and her family were the worst. I'm still not positive there was more to the story in that Miss America thing....He was a bit bad through little fault of his own based on how he started..but he was not bad to the bone. Just thoughts...

I forgot he is also a great Broadway actor. I saw the play on HBO I believe it was and he was funny hell and a great relaxed actor. Told a GEAT story of himself as well. Therapeutic.

16. "Bangin'" Dick Bravado

I've gotta agree with all that.

I think Holmes is possibly the guy that would give Lewis the toughest fight.

And I personally THOUGHT Michael Spinks, at the time, would do to Tyson what Holyfield would later do. I had movin' pictures of it running through my mind and everything...
    BUT...Wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

17. "Bangin'" Dick Bravado

I remember back in the 90's , right after "The Atomic Bull", Oliver McCall's stunning kayo of Lewis , and I was thinking , "Wow! This is the best the Heavyweight division's been since 1975.. You have Tyson, Holyfield, Duke, Bowe, Mercer and now this McCall kid who just knocked out the best of the bunch!"

And that's not even mentioning Foreman, Moorer, Golota, etc

18. Ringside

Golota's crowd was the most rowdy crowd I ever saw at a fight. They would destroy everything even if he won. They attacked his wife's law office in Chicago and eventually chased him out of the country for I think it was a year in exile The incident with Bowe was only a sample what happened when his followers got warmed up. Golota himself was a very nice person , the opposite of his fans Just loco when he fought. Great fighter. I said this before but at Trump Taj, Trump ran out with his bodyguards after Golota's fans starting throwing chairs all over the place when the fight was over. Golota won! Trump left the behaved fans behind to fend for himself. This was not the first time he avoided a conflict.:winky:

Fought Carlton West...T shirts said "a lotta Golota" on them. Just found some stuff from that fight. I remember seeing Holyfield Bowe2 on tv with that parachute guy landing in the ring.Once in a lifetime!