Why is Jones Jr. the greatest of all time?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Aymaco, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by REED:

BRAITHWAITE...

Who Cares where REED's Secretary Got her Info From???... :D

R U Saying that he HASN'T Fought the Cats that he's Credited w/Fighting???...

MOST of his Opponents Records R ATROCIOUS,2 Put it Mildly...

No,REED has NOT Seen him Fight...But What Relevance Does that Hold???...

If a Person has POWER,his Record USUALLY Reflects this,Does it NOT???...

The 100% KO Ratio Guys Don't Last Long...Not w/that %,Anyways...

Vitali Klit,Freitas,Even FEROCIOUS,Came CLOSE 2 the Record Munoz Now Has...

REED [​IMG]
    <hr></blockquote>

Check the guys amateur record as well :D I forgot about that in my last post but he even had a very high KO % in the AM's. As I have said he koed or stopped a couple of credible opponents. He stopped Krattingdym (the guy morel beat to win his title) and he stopped Celes Kobayashi to win his championship. He is the only guy to stop and KO both of them. His power is very legit IMO. Of course, maybe I will take your word for it even though you haven't seen the guy fight ;)

BTW- No,I am not saying that he didn't fight all those guys that you mentioned but I GUARANTEE you there records are not what you stated them to be. Boxrec is not always accurate on guys who fight in other countries.

2. Valdosta

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Diesel:
    If anyone doesn't think Roy is the greatest, they are using personal prejudice and emotions. All you have to do is watch him. He is amazing. No one ever has done what he does, and does so easily!<hr></blockquote>

Anyone who says he is the greastest ever is using personal predjuduice and emotion. I need things proven to me. I don't like to assume anything.

3. Flex "Diesel" Dusty

Flex "Diesel" Dusty Natural Born Kingpin

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Valdosta:

Anyone who says he is the greastest ever is using personal predjuduice and emotion. I need things proven to me. I don't like to assume anything.
    <hr></blockquote>

What better proof that with your own eyes? All you have to do is watch, and if you know anything from a high diddle dow, to a damned if I know, you will have to admit that Roy is the best ever. No one, and I mean no one has done what he has. Name one other fighter who did the behind the back, one punch KO, like he did to Kelly after slipping THREE punches. He was also the first, and only one of two fighters EVER, to be in a championship fight and go a ENTIRE round without getting hit. He also set a record by going the MOST rounds EVER without losing a round.
    Not proof enough? Then you don't know didily squat about boxing.
    Perhaps, you can look into a scrotum biting rugby site for discussions.

4. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Because Roy Jones is FASTER & Hits HARDER Than Both,While Being Just As,if Not BETTER Defensively...

Roy has Accomplished Just as Much,N Terms of Titles & has Been Consistently MORE Dominant,Against Good Competition...

Any MORE Questions???....

REED [​IMG]
    <hr></blockquote>

Roy is much better because he hits harder and is faster? Is that seriously one of your gauges of greatness?

I guess a prime Mark Breland, Terry Norris, and Meldrick Taylor are all greater than all-time greats such as Willie Pep and Pernell Whittaker because they hit harder and faster, right? Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? :rolleyes:

Sweet Pea won titles from 135-154. That's 4 different weight classes. He dominated very good to great competition while rarely ducking ANYONE. He tested himself against his era's best and he was dominant against that opposition. Sweet Pea also happened to defeat a couple of great fighters while they too were in their primes or close to it. This is something that Roy cannot lay claim to.

Ray Leonard won title in 5 different weight classes against GREAT opposition. I shouldn't even have to tell you how many all-time greats he defeated during his career. He too tested himself against his era's best and for the most part he dominated that opposition. Again, this is something that Roy cannot lay claim to.

What you have to understand is that RJJ's lack of desire to clean out his divisions and average resume don't allow him to compete with Sweet Pea and Ray Leonard in terms of greatness. He has a long way to go before he can even be mentioned in the same sentence as those two.

Top 20 greatness is defined by accomplishments and or mass longevity against good to great opposition.

Matos brought up a very good point a few days ago. He asked, what has RJJ accomplished that other great fighters before him, haven't? What has he done to separate himself from the pack?

Let me guess. RJJ hits harder and is faster than most of the all-time greats. He knocked out a washed up Virgil Hill with a bodyshot and he KOd an ex-LW named Vinny Pazienza, therefore he merits to be mentioned alongside the aforementioned greats as well as all the others? We all musta fogot. :rolleyes:

I acknowledge that RJJ is a very gifted fighter. I don't think anyone would dispute that. My beef with his groupies is that I don't think he should be given so much credit because he never fought the very best from 160-175 and for the past 5 years he's done nothing but hide behind the ridiculous ABC soup mandatories. This is the same man who went before congress and testified that the alphabet soup organizations are ruining boxing. This is the same man that claims that the fighter makes the belts and not the other way around. All the while, this same man continues to use these belts to protect himself from facing REAL competition.

RJJ could be something special if he'd only show us. I'm not going to assume he's as good as you claim he is based on the fact that he looks great fighting chumps. Didn't Shane Mosley look better than RJJ while fighting stiffs?

I don't think you even understand your own argument. Maybe you mean to say that in your opinion RJJ would defeat any fighter in history in a P4P battle. Ok, it's one thing to say that but please don't say that he's the greatest. That's not the measure of greatness. That's like me saying that Wladimir Klitschko is a greater fighter than Rocky Marciano because IMO he would defeat him in a one on one match. Even if that were a certainty, that still would not make Klitschko a greater fighter.

I don't expect you to comprehend this post because it's not USHER enough for you. Comprende?

5. Rebel

Rebel Admin

What better proof that with your own eyes?
    <hr></blockquote>

Damn, how I wish Mosley would've ducked Forrest and fought Mayorga and Lewis. Imagine if he then would've moved up to 154 and whooped Oscar and Santos while ducking Wright. Imagine if he would've defeated Joppy at 160 and then retired? He would've retired undefeated while looking spectacular against 99% of his opposition. Move over Sugar Ray Robinson. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bro, I don't care how he looks. These are stiffs he's fighting. Let's see him look that dominant against the best available opposition. Roy lives in one of boxing's weakest divisions. Of course he's going to look spectacular.

6. Valdosta

What better proof that with your own eyes? All you have to do is watch, and if you know anything from a high diddle dow, to a damned if I know, you will have to admit that Roy is the best ever. No one, and I mean no one has done what he has. Name one other fighter who did the behind the back, one punch KO, like he did to Kelly after slipping THREE punches. He was also the first, and only one of two fighters EVER, to be in a championship fight and go a ENTIRE round without getting hit. He also set a record by going the MOST rounds EVER without losing a round.
    Not proof enough? Then you don't know didily squat about boxing.
    Perhaps, you can look into a scrotum biting rugby site for discussions.
    <hr></blockquote>

I don't know shit about boxing?? This coming from someone who only comments about Jones 95% of the time?? I am 100% sure I know as much and probably more than you in just about any division you can name. You do know other divisions besides 175 right??.

As far as your Bullshit about Jones beating up a garbageman and a lightweight?? Sorry but I am not extremely impressed by that. Where is this record for not losing rounds kept track of at?? I think I might need something for a reference. Your word is not good enough for me.

[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Valdosta ]</p>

7. Flex "Diesel" Dusty

Valdosta, perhaps you can go on and on about specs. Like a armchair quarterback. Sitting in from of your 13" TV during monday night football yelling out plays. The mighty Diesel on the other hand is a licensed coach and works with many fighters. My knowledge wins.

[​IMG] DIESEL

Back to the matter at hand. If you watch HBO boxing you will hear the little add ins by Lampley. Specs and so on. His unbeating round streak lasted from De Valle, (really got hit on a slip) to Harding. Add up the rounds your self. Quite a streak. or www.boxingrec.com

8. Flex "Diesel" Dusty

9. Valdosta

Valdosta, perhaps you can go on and on about specs. Like a armchair quarterback. Sitting in from of your 13" TV during monday night football yelling out plays. The mighty Diesel on the other hand is a licensed coach and works with many fighters. My knowledge wins.

[​IMG] DIESEL

Back to the matter at hand. If you watch HBO boxing you will hear the little add ins by Lampley. Specs and so on. His unbeating round streak lasted from De Valle, (really got hit on a slip) to Harding. Add up the rounds your self. Quite a streak. or www.boxingrec.com
    <hr></blockquote>

What knowledge?? All I ever see you post about is Roy Jones. I've never seen any proof that you know all that much about the current scene. I already knew you was a trainer BUT that don't matter to me since I don't know what you train. amateurs, low level pro's or whatever. Don't take that the wrong way but I am just saying I've never seen any proof you really follow to much besides Jones.

I'll look at your link when I get home, I can't do it from work.

[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Valdosta ]</p>

10. Flex "Diesel" Dusty

Don't get emotional. Jeez! I feel like handing you a tissue. Relax and we can discuss this proper. I KNOW boxing. Not specs. I can look at a fighter and tell you he is for real. Roy Jones Jr. is realer than a heart attacked. He is incredible to watch. I am from Chicago. I used to hear Michael Jordon haters all the time. MJ and Roy. People hate what they should be excited about being able to watch. I wouldn't miss a round of this incredible Roy Jones Jr. while we are still lucky to have him. Just like MJ. I was so happy to be on hand at the stadium watching him do what he does best!

11. BJ*

BJ* Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rebel:

I guess a prime Mark Breland, Terry Norris, and Meldrick Taylor are all greater than all-time greats such as Willie Pep and Pernell Whittaker

Sweet Pea won titles from 135-154. That's 4 different weight classes. He dominated very good to great competition while rarely ducking ANYONE. He tested himself against his era's best and he was dominant against that opposition. Sweet Pea also happened to defeat a couple of great fighters while they too were in their primes or close to it. This is something that Roy cannot lay claim to.

<hr></blockquote>

:eek:
    WTF? for some reason i never expected rebel to praise the pea so much...you must have watched him recently on tape whoopin JCC [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Valdosta

Don't get emotional. Jeez! I feel like handing you a tissue. Relax and we can discuss this proper. I KNOW boxing. Not specs. I can look at a fighter and tell you he is for real. Roy Jones Jr. is realer than a heart attacked. He is incredible to watch. I am from Chicago. I used to hear Michael Jordon haters all the time. MJ and Roy. People hate what they should be excited about being able to watch. I wouldn't miss a round of this incredible Roy Jones Jr. while we are still lucky to have him. Just like MJ. I was so happy to be on hand at the stadium watching him do what he does best!<hr></blockquote>

LOL, I am not being "emotional". That's just my posting style [​IMG] I have been trying to figure out what "specs" is though. What is that??

Back to the matter at hand. Roy simply does not have the resume to say he is the best ever. He has a good resume but I wouldn't compare it with the VERY best fighters. Jones and Jordan is a HORRIBLE comparison IMO. Jordan played the best every night and proved how good he was. I don't think Jones has done that.

13. BJ*

BJ* Member

specs means stats

14. Valdosta

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BJ*:
    specs means stats<hr></blockquote>

Thanks [​IMG]

15. Valdosta

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rebel:

Damn, how I wish Mosley would've ducked Forrest and fought Mayorga and Lewis. Imagine if he then would've moved up to 154 and whooped Oscar and Santos while ducking Wright. Imagine if he would've defeated Joppy at 160 and then retired? He would've retired undefeated while looking spectacular against 99% of his opposition. Move over Sugar Ray Robinson. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bro, I don't care how he looks. These are stiffs he's fighting. Let's see him look that dominant against the best available opposition. Roy lives in one of boxing's weakest divisions. Of course he's going to look spectacular.
    <hr></blockquote>

Agreed, I can't believe someone wants to call him the best ever based off some things he did against a blown up lightweight and a garbageman [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rebel:

Roy is much better because he hits harder and is faster? Is that seriously one of your gauges of greatness?

I guess a prime Mark Breland, Terry Norris, and Meldrick Taylor are all greater than all-time greats such as Willie Pep and Pernell Whittaker because they hit harder and faster, right? Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? :rolleyes:

Ray Leonard won title in 5 different weight classes against GREAT opposition. I shouldn't even have to tell you how many all-time greats he defeated during his career. He too tested himself against his era's best and for the most part he dominated that opposition. Again, this is something that Roy cannot lay claim to.

What you have to understand is that RJJ's lack of desire to clean out his divisions and average resume don't allow him to compete with Sweet Pea and Ray Leonard in terms of greatness. He has a long way to go before he can even be mentioned in the same sentence as those two.

Top 20 greatness is defined by accomplishments and or mass longevity against good to great opposition.

Matos brought up a very good point a few days ago. He asked, what has RJJ accomplished that other great fighters before him, haven't? What has he done to separate himself from the pack?

Let me guess. RJJ hits harder and is faster than most of the all-time greats. He knocked out a washed up Virgil Hill with a bodyshot and he KOd an ex-LW named Vinny Pazienza, therefore he merits to be mentioned alongside the aforementioned greats as well as all the others? We all musta fogot. :rolleyes:

I acknowledge that RJJ is a very gifted fighter. I don't think anyone would dispute that. My beef with his groupies is that I don't think he should be given so much credit because he never fought the very best from 160-175 and for the past 5 years he's done nothing but hide behind the ridiculous ABC soup mandatories. This is the same man who went before congress and testified that the alphabet soup organizations are ruining boxing. This is the same man that claims that the fighter makes the belts and not the other way around. All the while, this same man continues to use these belts to protect himself from facing REAL competition.

RJJ could be something special if he'd only show us. I'm not going to assume he's as good as you claim he is based on the fact that he looks great fighting chumps. Didn't Shane Mosley look better than RJJ while fighting stiffs?

I don't think you even understand your own argument. Maybe you mean to say that in your opinion RJJ would defeat any fighter in history in a P4P battle. Ok, it's one thing to say that but please don't say that he's the greatest. That's not the measure of greatness. That's like me saying that Wladimir Klitschko is a greater fighter than Rocky Marciano because IMO he would defeat him in a one on one match. Even if that were a certainty, that still would not make Klitschko a greater fighter.

I don't expect you to comprehend this post because it's not USHER enough for you. Comprende?
    <hr></blockquote>

N a LB 4 LB Sense,Roy Jones is FASTER & Hits HARDER than Sweet Pea & Sugar Ray Leonard...& He's as Good,or BETTER Defensively...

Everything THEY Had(as Fighters),Roy Has...

Mark Breland,Terry Norris & Meldrick ALL Had Weaknesses that Were EXPLOITED,2 the Point of Them LOSING...

Plus,they Didn't ACCOMPLISH as Much as the Other Fighters,that U're PATHETICALLY Trying 2 Lump them w/...

WHY They were Even Brought N 2 this,is BEYOND REED...PLEASE,Stick 2 the Fighters we R Addressing...

Roy Jones has Won Titles N 3 Weight Classes,DOMINATING Good Opposition,Along the Way...The Problem is U CONSTANTLY Sleep on RJ's Resume...

That Doesn't Work w/REED...James Toney WAS "N his Prime",When he LOST 2 Roy...So Much 4 your Theory...

Leonard & Whittaker BOTH have BETTER Resume's than Roy,But Roy's Career AIN'T Over w/Yet...He's Got Time 2 Add Another Couple Notches & he Will...

Against Good Comp,Roy has Been MORE Consistently DOMINANT Than Whittaker or Sugar Ray...Whittaker Dominated N Similar Fashion,But he's NOT as Versatile as Roy(Lack of TRUE Power)...

Sugar Ray DIDN'T Have the Longevity,Had some Near Losses,Losses & Controversial Verdicts...

Roy Jones has Had NONE of That...While Being Every BIT as Talented(& MORE,N REED's Eyes)than Sugar Ray Leonard...

RJ Has CLEANED Out the Light Heavy Division,Save 4 Michal$HITski(Who REFUSES 2 Come 2 America) & Tarver(Who's a Mandatory)...

If Roy BEATS johnny louise,there is NO LONGER ANY Doubt that He's Top 5 or 10,ALL TIME...He Will have TESTED Himself 2 a Higher Degree than ANY Former Middle,N Recent Memory...

So All this "Long Way 2 Go" $hit,is Just That...$HIT...U're Trying 2 Convince Yourself & It's OBVIOUS...

Even a Good Showing vs a 230 Lb Man,Will ONLY ENHANCE Roy's ALREADY Legendary Status...THIS is What Will "Separate him from the Pack",Cause the ONLY Former Middle CHAMPION,that MATOS Could Name,Who's WON the Heavy Title is Bob Fitzsimmons...

A Company of 2 is SEPARATE From the Pack,N REED's Opinion...

Virgil Hill was NOT "Washed Up",as his Title Winning Effort,N his NEXT Fight(after Roy),PROVES...So Save it...

If Vinny Paz is a "Blown Up" Lightweight,then Roy is a "Blown Up" Middle...Which Makes his DOMINANCE @ Light Heavy ALL the MORE Impressive...Along w/the FACT that Cats Like U WOULDN'T Give a "Blown Up" Middle PROPS 4 Beating a Heavy...

Roy has a VICTORY Over the BEST Middle,Since Marvin Hagler...That DOES Count 4 Something,Especially Considering Roy Won TWICE as Many Rounds(@ LEAST)vs the Best Middle Since Hagler...

Roy BEAT The Best Super Middle N the World,N James Toney...The 2nd Best Super Middle,Nigel Benn,was CONCERNED 4 his Well Being if he was 2 Ever Fight Roy,so he Didn't...

As 4 your "Last 5 Years" FALLACY,Griffin,Hill(NOT a Mandatory),Del Valle(NOT a Mandatory),Johnson(NOT a Mandatory),Telesco(NOT a Mandatory),Harding & Gonzalez(NOT a Mandatory)...

THIS Is Where U Show your BIAS...ANYBODY Else w/Names like These,from the Last 5 Years,& U Wouldn't B Sweating Them...

As 4 Roy's "Statements",What the Phuck Does THAT Have 2 Do w/What Goes On N the Ring???...NOTHING...So WHY Dwell On it,or Hold it Against a Fighter???...

The Shane Mosley Analogy is EQUALLY TIRED,Redundant & Bogus,Cause Shane HIMSELF Would Tell U that he's NOT N Roy Jones' Class...ISN'T & NEVER Was...

He's a VERY POOR Man's Version of Roy Jones,Minus the Unorthodoxy & Defensive Prowess...

Roy WOULD Beat Cat's N Mythical Matchups & That IS Part of What REED is Arguing...But When U Factor N Accomplishments & Roy's UNDERRATED Resume,he Makes a VERY STRONG Case Overall...

Certainly MORE of a Case than U'll EVER Give him Credit 4...

Tingos dos Palabras,Chupelo....Comprende??? [​IMG]

REED [​IMG]

17. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

As If REED Ain't Forced 2 Repeat Himself Because of U...Based on That,REED Wouldn't Go Tooting his Horn as a Renowned REEDing Comprehensionist,if he was U...

While U're "Rolling on the Floor",U Need 2 Re-REED that Thread,Cause REED Provided his OWN Analysis...

Yori's Criticism was Based Strongly on Whittakers Resume & he was WRONG...He Asked REED 2 Name WHO Whittaker Fought,that was WORTHY @ 135,REED Did & Yori Boy has YET 2 Respond...

The "Biased Mexican" Thing was the LEAST of REED's Point,N those Posts...

Check Yourself...

REED [​IMG]
    <hr></blockquote>

Don't push it off on me and avoid what i am saying. You insinuated that i was arrogant (or not the most modest person) because i was calling you a bad reader! How on earth does that make me arrogant? I explained to you that i have to repeat myself with you often and that is why i questioned your reading skills and you go turning it around and pushing it off on me.

Either way, i acknowledge all your points and usuallky try to respond to most of them..... you just ignore things i type and pull the same crap- forcing me to re-type shit.

THe mexican bias WAS your point! That's all you had, fact is that whitaker's two best wins (DLH aside) came over guys that never had any success at the weight they were fighting at (nelson at 135, Chavez at 147- compared to all time greats Whitaker;s resume does not compare favorably. Yori may have thought being southpaw benefitted him and that was one of the only reasons for his success but he broke down pea's resume..... logically without spewing BS about how someone is or isn't a biased mexican (or african-american) fan.

Hitman

18. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

But w/the BEST Fighters...REGARDLESS Of Weight...

Bottom Line...

Not 2 Mention ALL the OTHER Divisions,Higher than Diaperweight,that U're CONVENIENTLY Leaving Out...

REED [​IMG]
    <hr></blockquote>

Just because those divisions have one or two excellent fighters doesn't make the talent pool deeper. That's the whole point- some of the lower weight classes are much deeper in talent- so your assessment that higher weight = deeper talent pool is 100% inaccurate.

Hitman

19. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hitman:

Don't push it off on me and avoid what i am saying. You insinuated that i was arrogant (or not the most modest person) because i was calling you a bad reader! How on earth does that make me arrogant? I explained to you that i have to repeat myself with you often and that is why i questioned your reading skills and you go turning it around and pushing it off on me.

Either way, i acknowledge all your points and usuallky try to respond to most of them..... you just ignore things i type and pull the same crap- forcing me to re-type shit.

THe mexican bias WAS your point! That's all you had, fact is that whitaker's two best wins (DLH aside) came over guys that never had any success at the weight they were fighting at (nelson at 135, Chavez at 147- compared to all time greats Whitaker;s resume does not compare favorably. Yori may have thought being southpaw benefitted him and that was one of the only reasons for his success but he broke down pea's resume..... logically without spewing BS about how someone is or isn't a biased mexican (or african-american) fan.

Hitman
    <hr></blockquote>

REED Ain't "Pushing" $hit Off on U...REED READILY Admits his Arrogance...REED Has NO NEED 4 False Modesty...

REED was Just Saying that U yourself CAN'T B Mr. MODESTY,4 Coming @ REED on Some "Can't Read" $hit...Not Time After Time...

U've Been Repeating yourself & SO Has REED...REED has had 2 Reiterate his Diaperweight Points 2 U REPEATEDLY...

REED Doesn't Intentionally Leave ANY Stones Unturned...If U Have a Point or Question,that U Feel REED has "Avoided",BRING IT...

The "Mexican Bias" Thing was a STATEMENT w/N my Post...The CRUX of REED's Post CENTERED on Sweet Pea's Skills...

& 2 Say that "All I Had" was the "Mexican Bias" Point,SHOWS That U HAVEN'T Read REED's Post...

REED Addressed ALL of YORI BOY's Points & the 1's U Just Made N this Post...

Do Yourself a Favor & REED it,B 4 Responding...

REED [​IMG]

20. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hitman:

Just because those divisions have one or two excellent fighters doesn't make the talent pool deeper. That's the whole point- some of the lower weight classes are much deeper in talent- so your assessment that higher weight = deeper talent pool is 100% inaccurate.

Hitman
    <hr></blockquote>

Look,EVERY Division has Good & Bad Periods...GENERALLY Speaking,the "Pool of Talent" IS LARGER,N Weights HIGHER than Diaper...

Right Now that MIGHT Not B True,But HISTORICALLY & GENERALLY Speaking,It IS...

REED [​IMG]