Why is HBO Even Bothering With Zibik-Chavez Jr. in June?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Jack1000, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Boxing Fanatic

The criticisms of this fight have been dutifully noted by the public and press for many months. From the WBC making Sergio Martinez an Emeritus Champion just to pave the way for Julio's kid to get a title shot against the potential game, but not a puncher Zbik.

Is this a fight were one could say, "The fix is in" for Chavez Jr. to win? No matter what happens, the prognosis is that Zbik could win every round and the best he gets is a draw? Zibik is going to have to KO Chavez Jr. to win. Moving the fight from Mexico to California is not going to make that much of a difference. The huge LA Latin-American, Hispanic contingency will be out in full force to support Chavez Jr. Sure, he's a crowd pleaser, However, the real boxing fans know that the real Middleweight Champion of the World is King Sergio Martinez who will damn near murder Chavez Jr.

Just for insurance the WBC could resurrect Dalby Shirley and Gale Van Hoy as judges. But that won't be necessary. The point being, why televise something with an obvious forgone conclusion? There's no way that Sebastian is going to win this thing barring a KO and let's say he shocks everyone and unofficially wins something like 116-112 with good boxing, and Chavez walks away with the inevitable win around 115-113 on all cards, just because it's Julio's kid.

This is even worse than the accusations around the Net that Joshua Clottey was bribed to look bad for Pacquiao. Boxing is going so well with the classic fights that we have had with Morales-Maidana, and Ortiz-Berto, great action fights with very fair and impartial judging in many fights exciting fights.

Is it wrong to televise a fight that has such a strong possibility of being a robbery before the bell even rings?

Jack

2. Carlos

Carlos ---

Chavez wont need a robbery to beat Zbik, who is easily as ordinary as chavez..probably even more.

3. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

I agree it's bullshit that HBO is going to legitimize this fight in the eyes of casual viewers. It's all about money and business unfortunately. They know Chavez Jr., as limited a fighter as he is, will bring in ratings and media attention. Canelo supposedly did great ratings for them already so maybe they're hopping on the mexican supporters bandwagon finally. It'll do a lot better than the ratings of Dawson, Berto and every other Al Haymon fighter.

4. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

HBO has been known to not do fight's that are not competitive. Assume that this fight is competitive and Chavez Jr. could lose. If Chavez Jr. wins well that's better for him and Boxing Fans. I think HBO is a step-up from the PPV's that Chavez Jr. has been on. What I mean by that is I have never seen a Chavez Jr. PPV listed on TW Cable. At least on HBO it would reach more subscribers. There will always be some demand for The Son of a Legend. That's a gimmie.

Bottom line is don't really expect Chavez Jr to become something better than he already is.

Can't really understand all the hate. Hope Chavez Jr. does well. We all no Jr. is not on par with any of the champions. I mean Jr. woud get killed by Martinez. We all know that. That's what the WBC does it's all about money.

5. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Chavez has a name and the bout is for a world title. As Tysonfan, stated. It's about money and this bout is another paycheck for the powers that be.

6. El tanke

El tanke Member

Make te real champion a SUPER champion and make a bum the regular champion, so chavez jr would at least have a chance of winning. What kind of bullshit is that?
    And the sad thing is that people in Mexico actually buy into that WBC/sulaiman bullshit.

7. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Hey, no one ever said it was right. Disgusting, isn't it?

8. El tanke

El tanke Member

Its beyond disgusting, its sickening. It makes me sick when people say Canelo alvarez is a world champion and soon people will also say Chavez jr is a world champ too. When neither one would even stand a chance vs the best in their respective divisions.

Talk about beign a paper champion. All my respects to Abner Mares for fighting the best and if he wins, he will be a real world champion, not a WBC bitch.

9. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

No need to worry. Doubt that Chavez Jr. will have that long of a career. Jr. already talked about quitting if he lost a rematch. I think it was the Vanda fight.I could be wrong but it appears that Jr. doesn't have the psyche to be a better fighter after suffering a defeat. If Jr. loses he'll probably quit the Sport. Canelo though will probably be around longer. Canelo at least has a chance to be a better fighter.

10. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I'm with you. What does it say when you're a titlist and 10-15 other fighters in the division are better than you? :slaphead:

I've liked Mares since the first time I saw him. Hopefully, he'll kick off a great run beginning with Saturday.

11. El tanke

El tanke Member

Canelo does have a chance of beign better, but he needs to improve his defense and pronto. and he needs to get his temper under control because he doesnt have that good of a chin.
    Chavez jr is destined to be a bum, and I agree, first time gets knocked out, hell probably quit.

12. El tanke

El tanke Member

It means you are a paper champion, and that you have connections in the sanctioning bodies.

Mares, is a great young fighter, and I hope he beats Agbeko.

13. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Out of curiosity, what level do you guys think Chavez Jr. actually fits into? For example: Is he as good as Daniel Jacobs? I don't.

Methinks a prime Manfredo would've devoured Chavez Jr. on neutral territory. Chavez Jr. isn't even a C+ fighter in IMO. He's more
    like a C -, D level fighter.

14. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

Chavez Jr. best win was against Duddy who probably was a B minus fighter. So I'd say B minus. That's being kind. Don't shoot me.

15. Rebel

Rebel Admin

You think Duddy is B minus? That's being way too kind! I'd say Duddy is a C while Chavez is C minus.

16. El tanke

El tanke Member

I dont, I think hes a solid C fighter.
    A B minus to me is guys like Manuel Medina, William Joppy, and Tommy Morrison.
    Chavez jr isnt as good as those guys once were.
    B minus to me is Canelo alvarez, people say hes the Mexican phenom. Me thinks hes the Mexican protected joke.
    But he is better than Chavez jr, Ill admit that.

17. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

Ok you guys convinced me Jr. is a C fighter. Canelo is a B- fighter. That's reasonable. I agree as well that Canelo is better than Jr.

18. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

I think I agree with that assessment as well. To call Chavez Jr a B- fighter would be way too generous. He's struggled with in the ring with anybody who's had a pulse. He's got good size and reach that's about it. He doesn't have great power, chin, footwork, defense or speed. What else can you call him? At least Alvarez seems to have good power and some boxing ability at this point.

19. El tanke

El tanke Member

Indeed, Jr seems to struggle with EVERYBODY.
    Canelo does have good power and somewhat decent boxing skills, but hes far from the mexican phenom people think he is. Most people can look formidable fighting stiffs, but at times Jr and Canelo fail to deliver, specially Jr.

20. BKING

BKING Pound 4 Pound King

Chavez is a C-/D+ fighter with a name, who is fighting for an alphabet soup title. HBO is clearly picking up this fight for the paycheck based on the name value and the title fight. I said a while back the kid should shit or get off the pot.