Why is Floyd being so overrated going into the ODLH fight?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Valdosta, May 3, 2007.

1. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

I see way to many people saying that ODLH has no real chance. Huh? Floyd has never fought at 154, never fought anyone as big as ODLH and fought anyone with ODLH's power and speed combination. Floyd HAS to fight an absolute perfect fight to win and even then he could lose. Sure, speed kills but ODLH does not have slow hands. Floyd has gotten hit by slower guys than ODLH before. :555: He's been hurt by littler guys than ODLH as well. :555:

2. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

I just saw Floyd

on a local Philly interview. his face is abnormally swollen looking compared to its normal appearance. He may not be carrying the weight well. I am starting to revisit my pick for him as if he just does not look right. Also after the interview with the camera not quite off of him he went from a pose smile to a blank bored stare. Oscar of course carries thisweight perfectly. Ringo

3. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

Corley actually for three rounds or so had major pressure put on Floyd here in A.C.before Floyd turned it around. Oscar would be tougher in this regard. Maybe I will cahnge my pick...Ringo

4. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Agreed.

5. Smokin

Smokin Member

what are you going by?

If you read through the predictions thread on the fight, heaps and heaps are tipping Oscar! Im actually shocked the opposite way.

We will see what happens in about 50 hours now!!

6. Punchy

Punchy Pimp

7. BJ*

BJ* Member

what's funny is that its the "mainstreamers", casual fans, people who probably have never even watched more than one pbf fight, are the ones going pbf all the way. its interesting that many here think about things like the size difference, Oscars handspeed, his jab, etc and lean towards DLH.
    its pretty backwards when you think about it.

8. Oscar is older, rustier, has had many injuries, is slower and hasn't really had his head in the fight game for a while.

Come on. I think the only reason you're overrating Oscar is to make Floyd look better when he wins.

9. Exactly. In the predictions thread lots of people were picking Oscar. Someone should take a tally (feeling lazy right now, not it!)

10. Here's the tally so far

I got bored, here's the tally from SuperJ's thread give or take:

Oscar to win: 19

Draw: 2

Floyd to win: 15

Looks like Oscar is the favorite by a bit here.

SuperJ DLH VIA KO / R9
    neo_wolf floyd will win clearly 8 rounds to 4.
    Bouffant_Spectacular Floyd UD
    andrew Floyd UD
    Rabid Kimba Golden Boy decisions Pretty Boy in a one-sided beating.
    handolo pbf ud
    BKING DLH KO 10
    sanchito DLH tko 9
    Mark G DLH TKO 8!
    Remus it'll be floyd by UD.
    Michael Matos De La Hoya.....KO6
    TysonFan Mayweather Jr by rounds 8 to 4
    TIP Oscar by KO mid to late rounds.
    Rebel Oscar via a close decision that perhaps some will deem controversial.
    Black Gatti Draw!!
    Valdosta I got oscar by KO or corrupt decision
    Erratic DLH by TKO7.
    EBIHARA63 PBF 8 rounds to 4.
    Mofongo DLH 8-4
    Hut*Hut Mayweather by domination.
    Big Bear Oscar by late stoppage 9-12 rds
    Lemus PBF in a boring UD.
    Punchy Mayweather by unanimous decision,
    Ludovico DLH by questionable MD.
    The Hitman Controversial draw
    Diesel Oscar, by wide decision or stoppage.
    hazza odlh tko10 pbf
    El Profesor End result - a Mayweather "win"
    BJ* Oscar via a close decision Ditto
    minkyboodle DLH via Wide UD with PBF going down once.
    Jack1000 Delahoya by UD
    Ringside I have to pick PBF 9 to 3. Decisive.
    zboxz Mayweather will easily beat Oscar
    Keiko I think FLoyd with win by UD.
    Tug Floyd by UD
    BKING I still pick Oscar by KO in 10 rounds.

11. R_jay

R_jay Member

Unfortunately this is all true, and why I think De La Hoya will lose.

12. Valdosta

Oscar is older but only by 4 years and really hasn;t been injured in a while. When I think about it Floyd has injury issues as much as ODLH and Floyd's are more likely to come into play in this fight. Oscar looked like Oscar in his last fight, no more or less. Another thing, I have never saw Oscar decisively lose at 154. I have never seen Floyd fight at that weight period.

13. Valdosta

I bet on Alexander Munoz and ODLH figuring that at least 1 of 2 would hit. I don't bet on guys though unless I think they can (or will) win. I bet more on ODLH than a lot of people make in a week. I really don't care about "making Floyd look better when he wins".

14. Rene

Rene Member

Shit, how much did you bet and on what exactly did you bet on? Oscar win, Oscar win by decision, ko, etc.? What kind of odds did you get?

15. Valdosta

I took garbage odds which was stupid of me but I put 1k on Munoz and 1k on ODLH. I just took him to win outright. In my eyes, Floyd has to dominate to win which makes this at worst for ODLH a pick'em fight.

16. Rene

Rene Member

Wow, that's a big bet, good luck.

17. Valdosta

I might lose but the odds made it worth it to me. That's the advantage of taking 2 +numbers (Munoz already won). 1 guy wins and no matter what happens to the other I profit. However I like Oscar's chances or else I wouldn't have made the bet in the first place. :smiles::

18. Remus

Remus Member

i'm sick of explaining this fight to you dosta. do a search. oscar will get spanked.

19. BJ*

BJ* Member

why? you think dlh will get the benefit of the doubt?

i see it completely opposite. dlh has been on the short end of close ones before. also, its in the best interest of boxing that floyd wins...boxing needs a new star to hang its hat on. oscar winning is meaningless for everyone other than oscar's own legacy.

if oscar wins, then what? an old timer bout with mosley again?

no sir, a close fight goes PBFs way for sure.

also think about early rounds...in round 1 and 2 if not much happens - a feeling out round, stalking... a few flicked jabs... the defensive fighter ALWAYS gets credit for those meaningless rounds that no one remembers but have a big impact in the final scorecard.

20. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

I don't want to hear it, Oscar is past prime remember. Don't try to hype it up if Floyd wins and make excuses if he loses! Coming in you were saying that Floyd would dominate him.

But seriously I can see where all the second guessing comes from. This fight has been building up for so long and everybody and their mama has been writing articles and pleading their case about who's going to win. It can drive you crazy! I've played every scenario in my head and I can justify each one happening somehow. I'm ready for Sunday morning already.