What happened to Valentino?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Xplosive, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

Sorry if I'm waaayyyyy late on this one, but what ever happened to Tino? Did he just vanish from this forum?

I must say, I miss my old nemesis - circa 2001-2003 we would spend hours on here going back and forth on RJ debates. Ahhh, the good ole days.

Hope nothing bad happened to him, health wise.

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

AHHHH, good ol' Bal.

He's probably meeting with important people even as we speak. Other than that, who knows.

3. TIP

TIP Member

Miss Val wish he'd come back. How about Dubblechin had back and forth with him on RJ. TIP

4. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

Dubblechin is still around. He posts on Eastside.

I just got into a debate with him a few days ago on Donald Curry.

What did Tino just suddenly disappear one day?

5. TIP

TIP Member

I think Val left gradually posts became less and less and then nothing as I recall.

6. TIP

TIP Member

So what's your take on Donald Curry?

7. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

My take on curry is that his and Fernando Vargas' careers were similar. They won their first title pretty early in their careers. They beat good opponents but got ko'd by the big fish in the pond.

8. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

My position is that Curry was an excellent fighter who burnt out early and was never the same again.

Dubble argued that he was no better than Danny Garcia and Keith Thurman, which was a true head scratcher for me.

9. TIP

TIP Member

I agree with you and Mex. Curry had a very large number of amateur fights as I recall. I think Curry would have beaten either Garcia or Thurman handily. tip

10. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Tito vs curry?

11. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

I'd take Tito by late KO.

El Profesor likes this.
  12. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

With or without loaded gloves? Its funny once Hopkins called Tito out for being cheating cunt he was a totally diffrent fighter. His punches had no effect on Hopkins. What a coincidence? Thinks that make you go hmmm?

13. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

No one could ko Hopkins in those days, though.

14. TIP

TIP Member

I'd take Curry, I think Tito was a little mechanical and Curry would exploit that.

15. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Curry was a brilliant welterweight. Amateur record of 400-4 and was considered a lock to win gold at the 1980 Olympics.

16. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Last thing I remember from Valentino was he suffered a severe back injury and was in rehab.

17. Rebel

Rebel Admin

He seemed to lose interest in the sport once Tito retired and Roy Jones Jr. became a punching bag. He no longer had anyone to worship or hate. :winky:

18. Mark G

Mark G Member

Those were good days. RJJ, Tito, who was pfp #1.

Valentino was also interesting and a fun poster, I hope he is doing well.

19. Remus

Remus Member

from a pure boxing standpoint the golden days imo were the late 70's and 80's. the talent on display was just phenomenal. leonard, hagler, hearns, chavez, arguello, duran, pryor. im sure im missing some. with the splintering of combat sports, i doubt we'll ever see another era that saturated with raw talent ever again.

but yeah, from boxing as a spectacle, as a hype machine. the 90's and early 00's were the golden age. you had shit happening everywhere in any division at every level. but more importantly, you had alot of casual fans watching and while we may scoff at them they add the hype and atmosphere that makes it a spectacle. every pub we went to on a sunday afternoon in the 90's was packed to the brim watching the fights. nowadays you'll barely find a pub even televising boxing.

Michael Matos likes this.
  20. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

mma brah, mma!