Top Ten Winners And Losers

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Thought this might be of interest.

In the Hall Of Fame the fighters with the most fights against top 10 ranked opponents are Archie Moore with 63, Ray Robinson with 62, Ezzard Charles with 58, Emile Griffith with 55 and Manuel Ortiz with 52.

Those with the least. Lazlo Papp 0, Galaxy 3, Johansenn 5, Pryor 7, and Jose Torres 8.

2. Tam-Tam

Tam-Tam Member

Very interesting. It does also further back up the theory that some hold, that none of those fighters actually deserve recognition in the hall.

3. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Yes indeed take a look at those with the most Moore with 63 out of 218, Robinson 62 out of 202, Charles 58 out of 122, Griffith 55 out of 112 almost half of his career fights agsinst top ten or champions and Manuel Ortiz 52 out of 127. THats going to the post a lot. They talk about Joe Louis Bum Of The Month campaign but 20 out of his 25 title defenses were against top 10 opposition.

4. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

I did not realize Johanson was in the HOF. Pathetic! Say it is not so. Ringo

Now you all see why I love watching Griffth so much. Good post. GodFather [​IMG]

5. Tam-Tam

Tam-Tam Member

This was all in the day of one title for each division as well. Now, you have anywhere between 20-30 fighters that are classed as "top ten", with the ABC's all ranking whoever pays.

Roy Jones will come away sparkling from this, as fighter like Lennox Lewis, who I sort of place with Louis, in that his opposition, while nothing special at times, are all top ten fighters. It's just the depth of the talent pool at the time.

Emile fought everyone and Im glad this paints him in a favourable light. He deserves it. And Charles? The Muderer's Row will all have impressive lists of opposition, just like his stellar one.

6. Joonie73

Joonie73 Guest

ROFL. And Galaxy defended his title how many times?

7. Joonie73

Joonie73 Guest

Papp is in largely on account of his amateur career, which many deem the greatest ever.

8. Tam-Tam

Tam-Tam Member

I know why Papp is there Joonie and I don't remember saying that it was my argument that I was voicing.

Still, Papp shouldn't be there IMO. Its a professional hall and he didn't do enough. Be it his own fault or not. Guys like Sanchez, Cerdan and Ketchel didn't do a HEAP, but they certainly did enough to show what they were made of.

I've heard reports that Papp wasn't near as good pro as he was in the AM's.

9. Hawktime

Hawktime Guest

Makes you wonder if Mark Breland will eventually get in.

10. dmille

dmille Guest

Says who?

11. Tam-Tam

Tam-Tam Member

12. dmille

dmille Guest

It is NOT called the International "Professional" Boxing Hall Of Fame.

It should honor ALL international boxing.

13. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

I have tried so hard to emphasis that every time a Hall Of Fame discussion comes up. It's about personal achievement.

14. Tam-Tam

Tam-Tam Member

I guess Stevenson can start preparing his speech now then.

15. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

It's a bit late now. He can get started on it in the morning.

16. TIP

TIP Member

Perhaps Igor Vysotsky will introduce him. TIP

17. Joonie73

Joonie73 Guest

If Papp is in, why not Stevenson?

18. TIP

TIP Member

Probably because Papp fought with success as a pro. BTW Vysotsky was Stevenson's daddy.

19. Joonie73

Joonie73 Guest

Papp had a successful pro career but he never managed to win a title though. Have you seen him as a pro? If so, how would you rate his chances v. all-time greats at the weight?

By the way, I know who Vysotsky was [​IMG]

20. TIP

TIP Member

Papp turned pro to late
    age, wear and tear (over 300 amateur bouts) would have been against him. In his time he would have had Downes, Pender, Tiger and Giardello as possible championship opponents from 60-64 when he was 34-38 years old. Good shot at Pender and Downes. TIP