Top Ten European fighters

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by The Hitman, Dec 23, 2003.

1. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

i was watching Lewis-Ruddock yesterday and merchant's ramble right afterwards "lennox lewis may turn out to be, not only the greatest heavyweight in british history, but the greatest FIGHTER in EUROPEAN history!"

now we can safely throw out the last statement... but does anyone have a top ten euro list? Wilde and Buchanon would have to rate pretty high...

Hitman

2. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

AAAAHAHAHAHAHA [​IMG] ask the top ten latin fighters and you are near 200 responses. i would have thought dmille would have a list for this... where are all you list-freaks at?!?!?! oh well i'll try and make one later i suppose... see if anyone cares

Hitman

3. Rebel

Rebel Admin

More Names:

Jim Driscoll
    Marcel Cerdan
    Nino Benvenuti
    Howard Winstone
    Freddie Welsh

4. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Georges Carpentier
    Max Schmeling

5. Joonie73

Joonie73 Guest

Benny Lynch

6. MSteudle

MSteudle Guest

Dont forget Barry McGuigan

7. Crocodillo

Crocodillo Guest

Nino Benvenuti was not consistent enough

8. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Very true. [​IMG]

9. Joonie73

Joonie73 Guest

In what ways was Benvenuti inconsistent? He won (or should have won) his 1st 72 fights. He never lost a fight before he turned 30 but for a majority decision to Griffith (which I haven't seen; but I do have the 1st meeting between these 2).

10. Rebel

Rebel Admin

It's an inside joke. He was being sarcastic.

I once said that I wasn't impressed by him feeding on Italian fodder for the bulk of his career. I said he was inconsistent in his title reigns. He never could put together a decent one. But to his credit, he was fighting some tough ass competition and he did rack up some good wins.

[ December 24, 2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Rebel ]

11. dmille

dmille Guest

I do have to work for a living.

1) Jimmy Wilde
    2) Bob Fitzsimmons
    3) Johnny Dundee
    4) Owen Moran
    5) Lennox Lewis
    6) Marcel Cerdan
    7) Benny Lynch
    8) Jim Driscoll
    9) Ted Kid Lewis
    10) Laszlo Papp

12. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I don't claim to be an expert of European boxing but I have to ask, why Wilde over Fitzsimmons? I've read a great deal on both and I'm more impressed by Fitzsimmons. Wilde appears to be more of a myth and he never won titles in 3 original eight divisions like Fitzsimmons. Further, who did he beat? Fitzsimmons has more than a few great wins on his record. I just don't get all the fascination over Wilde. No one has offered a great explanation. Maybe you could? I'm all ears.

[ December 24, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Rebel ]

13. dmille

dmille Guest

I always love that question, "Who did he beat?". He beat the guys that he fought.

He scored wins over flyweight kings Sid Smith (three time) and Joe Symonds (twice).

He was the 112 lb world flyweight champion when his normal fighting trim was around 99 lbs.

He beat top banties Joe Lynch, Memphis Pal Moore and Jackie Sharkey when his own career heaviest weight was only 109.

His known record according to the (86-87) Ring Record was 130-3-1 99 KOs and 11 NDs. He learned the sport by fighting in booth bouts, where you fought all comers regardless of size. It is estimated that he had at least 200 of these fights.

He was unbeaten in his first 98 pro fights. His first (and only prime) loss was to Tancy Lee for the Brit and Euro title. He was stopped in the 17th round. He reversed that loss with an 11 round tko after winning the world title.

He lost much of his prime due to WW1. He was averaging 20 fights a year, but had to sit out almost half of 1916. He had only two fights in 17, three in 18 and five in 19.