Top 10 LATINO fighters in history!

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Xplosive, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

Rank em(I'll give my list later).

2. Valentino

Valentino Member

It is hard to come up with a top 10 list. And for that matter with an order...

The first five are, IMO (and in NOT particular order):

Duran, Joffre, Monzon, Arguello, Chavez

The remaining are, IMO, five of the following fighters listed below (and in Not particular order):

Ricardo Lopez, Sal Sanchez, Felix Trinidad, Mantequilla Napoles, Eusebio Pedroza, Luis Rodriguez, Oscar de la Hoya, Vicente Saldivar, Kid Gavilan, Kid Chocolate, Wilfredo Gomez, Carlos Ortiz, Miguel Canto, Ernesto Marcel, Wilfred Benitez, Carlos Zarate, and the amateur Teofilo Stevenson.

3. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

my unofficial list:

1 jorge luis gonzalez :D

2. sal sanchez/dlh

3 finito lopez

4. who cares

4. dmille

dmille Guest

1) Eder Jofre
    2) Carlos Monzon
    3) Roberto Duran
    4) Pascual Perez
    5) Manuel Ortiz
    6) Miguel Canto
    7) Panama Al Brown
    8) Vicente Saldivar
    9) Salvador Sanchez
    10) Ruben Olivares

Honorable mention: Alexis Arguello, Wilfred Benitez, Victor Galindez, Kid Gavilan, Jose Napoles, Carlos Zarate

5. Rebel

Rebel Admin

No Chavez? Please explain this. :eek:

6. supacal

supacal Member

arguello should be on every single list.

7. Valentino

Valentino Member

Chavez is not even in his top 100 ALL TIME GREAT fighters.

8. Valentino

Valentino Member

I cannot believe that I forgot Pascual Perez and Panama Al Brown.

9. Valentino

Valentino Member

I agree.

10. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

ooops, nevermind. sorry.

[ March 23, 2003, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: mex fighter ]

11. Yori Boy

Yori Boy Member

I don't get like to go too far back in time....

1. Roberto Duran
    2. Carlos Monzon
    3. Julio Cesar Chavez
    4. Eder Jofre
    5. Ricardo Lopez
    6. Alexis Arguello
    7. Carlos Zarate
    8. Ruben Olivares
    9. Salvadore Sanchez
    10. Felix Trinidad

Actually, looking back at it, perhaps Trinidad should be a notch or two higher???

[ March 23, 2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Yory Boi ]

12. I know that this is a very subjective question but I don't see how it is possible to make a selection of guys I have never seen boxing. Of the ones that I have been able to watch at least 4-5 fights and base on meaningful accomplishments, challenges, risks taken and results against quality opposition (Probably there are some other fighters that deserve more to be in that list but they are from another era before mine) :

1- Chavez
    2- Duran
    3- Trinidad
    4- Arguello
    5- ODLH
    6- Monzon
    7- Olivares
    8- Benitez
    9- Gomez
    10- R. Lopez

13. Erratic

Erratic Member

I am with Casanova on this one...Many of the aforementioned greats are indeed before my time, although I have had the priviledge to see quite a few. I will post my list a little later when I have more time.

One serious question I do have...On what basis do some of you guys consider Trinidad on all time top 10 Latino fighter?

14. HOMICIDE

HOMICIDE 2011 Super Bowl Champs

MAN FOR THE SHORT TIME U HAVE BEEN HERE IT SEEMS U HAVE PICKED UP ON THE MEX-FIGHTER/MEX-CREW HATERATION OF TITO TRINIDAD, OR ANYTHING THAT IS PUERTO RICAN....

15. Valentino

Valentino Member

On the same basis that I consider Chavez and Lopez...they are the ONLY THREE fighters in the HISTORY OF THE SPORT to have the 20-10-8 that I have mentioned above.

I figure that top 10 P4P fighters like Duran, Robinson, Amstrong, Ali, Pepp, etc. didn't accomplished such a feat. But Trinidad did.

That in my book makes him Top 10 all time Latino. Also, he is top Puerto Rican All time fighter.

A top 10 Latino List without a Puerto Rican fighter on it is NOT a top 10 Latino List.

Puerto Rico has more champions in the History of Boxing per sq. mile of country.

16. Erratic

Erratic Member

LOL...just cuz i am not a post whore doesn't mean I havent been here for a while...my Pops was one of the O.G. posters here and I would come and read what was on the forums ALL the time, but for a while Rebz wasn't letting any new blood in...since I registered I haven't really had to post very often since there are so many literate Boxing Fans here that there is no need to be redundent and beat a dead horse.

BTW: Anything P.R? Which other Puerto Rican have I questioned bro?

Hater??? It's not like I cap on The Macho Camacho's, Miguel Hotto's, and Pito Trinidad's of the world. :D

17. Erratic

Erratic Member

I already posted what I thought about your 10-10-220 theory of Trinidad's reign in another thread. Acheiving that FEAT against mediocre opposition does not hold the same water. Trinidad has not earned the right to be mentioned with the fighters you named.

Btw: I'll acknowledge Puertican Champions when it is warranted...I just can't do that with Trinidad though. In my book he hasn't earned it.

18. g-man

g-man Guest

Once again..
    I will explain why Chavez is not on Dmille's list at all....

I said it before, Dmille, while knowledgeble doesn't think much of chavez since chavez campaigned in three weight classes..
    two of which Dmille has stated in the past he does not recognize....
    he aknowledges only the original eight, thus he does not reconginze anyone who achieved anything at miniflyweight, superflyweight, superbantamweight, superfeatherweight, superwelterweight, supermiddleweight...

thus, chavez is not accredited for anything he did at superfeather and superlight.. :rolleyes:
    which also means why...

wilfredo gomez is not mentioned..
    arguello..
    de la hoya
    barrera
    morales
    etc...

[ March 25, 2003, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Hell... ]

19. dmille

dmille Guest

I recognize those divisions. I just don't think of them in the same way that I think of the traditional divisions. I think that 99 per cent of the time the junior divisions are for ordinary fighters.

I consider every all-time rating to also be a pound-for-pound all-time rating. Each of the fighters I rate number one in the eight traditional weight classes is IMO also one of the top ten of all-time p4p.

Adding the junior divisions, we have seventeen divisions total. IMO the best junior/super weight class titleholders are not amongst the top 17 of all-time p4p.

Every fighter that I listed including the honorable mentions are in MY all-time pound-for-pound top 100. Any fighter (Chavez, Gomez) that is not listed is not IMO an all-time great.

I don't like to rate fighters on an all-time basis unless they are retired or clearly past their primes. IMO it usually takes between five and ten years to put a fighter's career into its proper historical perspective. That is why Oscar, Tito, MAB, Morales, etc. are not on my listing.

20. g-man

g-man Guest

ok, fair enough..
    but then why isn't gomez in there? HE is an all time great..
    most everyone agree's he is the still regarded as the BEST SUPERBANTAMWEIGHT OF ALL TIME...

? :rolleyes:
    to leave chavez out and put in saldivar, canto and el puas in place of chavez does not make any sense....