Thoughts on possible Judah-Marquez, other potential opponents?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, May 9, 2012.

1. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Marquez needs an opponent for July 17 at Cowboys Stadium. Rios was the favorite until he was awarded a controversial decison against Richard Abril last month. Therefore, Rios as an opponent has lost its luster. Rios doesn't figure into the picture anyways since Marquez is looking for a southpaw opponent to help prepare him for a possible fourth fight with Manny Pacquiao in the fall.

Out of the southpaw names that have been mentioned, which opponent would you like to see Marquez face next?

Zab Judah - Battle-tested multi-divison champion who continues to rack up an important win here and there to keep him relevant from 140-147.

Mercito Gesta (25-0-1, 13 KOs) - Up-and-coming Filipino fighter who has fought limited opposition up to this point.

Cesar Cuenca (42-0, 1 KO) - Unknown light-punching Argentinian with no notable wins on his record.

DeMarcus Corley (39-19-1, 23 KOs) - Journeyman workhorse who is coming off two upset victories (WUD10 Gabriel Bracero, WTKO10 Paul McCloskey).

2. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Who he fights is not the important question, the important question to ask is this. Should the promotors dress up the empty seats to look like spectators or dress up the spectators to look like empty seats. A friend of mine is going to be in Dallas on that date, he called Cowboy Stadium to ask what time the fight starts. They asked him what time can he get there.

3. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

Judah is a loser by old school standards..hope Hopkins does not fall into that category although Judah does not hold a candle to Hopkins...El PADRINO

4. Mark G

Mark G Member

I'm not interested in seeing Marquez fight Judah or Corley. Corley had recently lost 8 out of his last 9 fights before winning two in a row. As far as I'm concerned, he can keep pretending like he's Versace and can keep designing clothes. Yes, I would watch Marquez fight these guys, because I'm a hard core fan. But I want to see Marquez take on an aggressive fighter, not an aging "boxer" (that obviously nixes the Argentine with 1 KO in 42 fights). Rios obviously doesn't have the skills to beat Marquez after seeing him fight Abril. I hope they come up with some more possible names that sound more appealing. His last opponent jumped around and boxed, I don't want to see a chess match, I want to see a great fight.

5. joey83

joey83 Banned

Maybe robert guerrero or is jmm scared of him lol.

6. Raging Bull

Raging Bull Member

I hear Judah is pricing himself out.

To be honest, I'm not interested in Marquez vs the other 3 guys. I'm sure I'm not alone. If I had to pick I'd take Marquez-Gesta.

7. TyrantT316

TyrantT316 Member

Judah should be 100% grateful for the opportunity. If he thought ahead and where to beat Marquez, he could put himself in line for a shot at Pacman simply by relation of an common opponent/Pacquiao's rival.

8. Mayoman79

Mayoman79 Member

Does a Judah victory really earn him a shot at Pacquiao? I think Pacquiao is beyond Judah unless it's a comeback fight after a loss.

9. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Guerrero is already scheduled to challenge Turkey's Selcuk Aydin for the interim WBC welterweight title on July 28 in San Jose, CA.

10. Mark G

Mark G Member

I don't think it does. Pacquiao should be on to bigger and better things. Judah being stopped by Khan is still fresh in my mind, I can think of a LOT of fighters I would rather see Pacquiao fight. Also, from a matchmaking point of view, I was setting up a fight for Pacquiao, it would be a come forward kind of fighter who brings the fight, tailor-made for Pacquiao's attributes, especially his big punch and attacking.

With Judah's chin, Pacquiao might produce a highlight reel knockout, but still, Judah is WAY behind on the list of people I would like to see Pac fight.

11. Goyo

Goyo Member

i dont like the judah fight for marquez. i think he might lose. he should face rios

12. Mark G

Mark G Member

If I was his handler, I'd put him up against Rios instead. Less risk, but more excitement and a fan's fight.

13. joey83

joey83 Banned

Judah wont beat jmm no way, judah is a bum these days, he feasts on c level fighters then gets eaten by a graders.

14. TyrantT316

TyrantT316 Member

Because of the business and politics of Boxing, it's less about him really "earning" a shot at Pacman and more promoters finding a way to sell it.

"Former Undisputed Welterweight Champion Judah stops #1 P4P Pacquiao rival Marquez after Pacman struggled 3 times. Can Judah pull off the upset? Will another fast and powerful southpaw be Pacman's kryptonite? Does Judah have ONE MORE left in him? Is Judah more mature? Is Pacman on the downslide?"

They can sell anything.