This Weekends Fights.

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

A couple of cards on television tomorrow, first up on Fox at 7:30 pm ET is and there is no way to dress this up is a battle of has been's featuring Devon "Da Yawn" Alexander vs Andre Berto. In their last 13 fights combined they are 5-7-1. No matter who wins it won't be a step further ahead but rather a step closer to the end. Speaking of has been's in the co-feature we have the return of Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin who goes up against J'Leon Love. Quillin is 35, has only had one fight since 2015 when he got starched by Daniel Jacobs in less than a minute. I expect Quillin to go quietly.

On HBO at 10 pm ET we have the return of Sergey Kovalev as he defends his title against unbeaten Eleider Alvarez of Colombia. Alvarez has been the number one contender for Adonis' Stevenson's WBC light heavyweight title for over two years but of course the WBC and Stevenson have manged to avoid him so he jumped ship to challenge Kovalev for the IBF title. Alvarez has an impressive record but most of his fights were in Colombia against no names and his two victory of notes were against a pair of has been's in Jean Pascal and Lucian Bute. With that being said Kovalev hasn't been the same since his back to back losses to Andre Ward even though both were controversial and Alvarez may find himself in a good spot. In the co-feature WBA light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol takes on one time Kovalev victim Isaac Chilemba. The thought is that both Kovalev and Bivol will secure victories setting up a unification fight later this year providing both opponents cooperate. I doubt if Chilemba will throw a spanner in the works but Alvarez may be another story.

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

I only care about bivol and I hope to see love twerking on the mat again the way he did when porky starched his ass.

3. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Look's like the only way we will both be satisfied is a double knockout.

4. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

I have my fingers crossed.

5. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

So, they interviewed jc superstar. He insisted canela is better than mikey. He said, "look at the opposition".

What say you regarding who's better?

6. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Pbc=pretty boring crap

7. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

The good news is thatAlexander-Berto turned into a decent scrap, the bad news was you had to sit through seven rounds before it did. Quillin-Love was awful.
    Told you Alvarez may find himself in a good spot vs Kovalev.

8. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

They both beat who they are supposed to beat

9. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

So who do you think is better?

10. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

I thought the Alexander-Berto decision was shit. The Kovalev fight sucked. Guys like him always make boxing more interesting, now he probably retires. He was doing well until that right hand changed everything, that’s boxing.

11. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

As much as mex and matos hate the ufc Garbrant vs Dilishaw 2 was a barn burner of a fight. Very similar to the first fight. Lots of fireworks.

12. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

You guys might be happy to know nate diaz is back in action. And Connor Mcgregor vs Khabbib is happening in sept.

13. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Mikey is very talented but how would he defend a leg kick or an ankle pick in the octogon? Maybe hes not as tough as you think?

14. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Why would he enter an octagon? He's not gay, you know.

15. TIP

TIP Member

Chuck Liddell wasn't a boxer but had a punch and would just use constant movement against his opponent and was knocking guys out on a regular basis was champ for a while. A boxer like Ray Leonard would have had some success in the octagon. It isn't easy to shoot on someone or kick them if movement is used. But it would take someone like that. TIP

16. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Not much on the fight calendar this weekend. A coupe of fights on ESPN2 tonight at 11 pm ET. Tomorow night at 10 pm ETon ESPN former heavyweight title challenger Bryant Jennings will continue on the road back to relevance when he takes on Alexander Dimitrenko in a 12 rounder. In the co-feature Jesse Hart and Mike Gavronski square off in 10 round super middleweight bout.

17. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Crap....

But Rosado vs Angulo might be exciting. Both washed up hasbeens with nothing to lose. Always makes for good fights.

18. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Bryant Jennings came back from being knocked down in the 4th to stop Alexander Dimitrenko last night in Atlantic City. Dimittrenko used his 5 inch height and 30 pound weight advantage in the early rounds to control Jennings and dropped him with a right hand in the 4th. Jennings adjusted well after that and by the 8th was dominating Dimitrenko and capped off the 8th by decking Dimitrenko twice. THe Jennings revival continued in the 9th until a right uppercut dropped Dimitiranko heavily and the referee waved it off without a count. In the co-feature Jesse Hart the som of former middleweight cintender Eugene "Cyclone" Hart stopped an over matched Mike Gravanski in the 3rd . Gavranski was dropped twice in the 3rd and the second knockdown led to the stoppage as Gavranski although making it to his feet was in no condition to continue. The win sets up a rematch between Hart and Zurdo Ramirez.

Across the pond yesterday Tyson fury shutout another no-hoper over the 10 round distance setting up a title shit against Deontay Wilder tentatively scheduled for October. In the main event Carl Frampton set up a unification fight against IBF featherweight champion Josh Warrington when he stopped Luke Jackson in the ninth round. Jackson hung tough but Frampton's unrelenting body attack eventually led to the finish.

19. TIP

TIP Member

Was that a typing error or a "tongue in cheek" comment regarding a title shit with Fury and Wilder? TIP

Remus likes this.
  20. Remus

Remus Member

2 things i noticed about fury. he has alot of nervous energy. the nervous twitches in his gloves, shoulders and upper body last the entire fight.
    secondly, i will concede that the man moves on his feet pretty damn well. his clockwise rotation and the way he defends off the left shoulder surprised me alot. he is going to be hard to hit unless wilder is good at cutting off the ring. my understanding of widler is basically zero so i have no idea if he is capable of doing that.