Strikeforce - Diaz vs. Daley (April 9) - Predictions and Discussion

Discussion in 'MMA News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Strikeforce Welterweight Championship
    Nick Diaz vs. Paul Daley

Strikeforce Lightweight Championship
    Gilbert Melendez vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri

Shinya Aoki vs. Lyle Beerbohm
    Gegard Mousasi vs. Keith Jardine
    Hiroyuki Takaya vs. Robert Peralta
    Brett Albee vs. Virgil Zwicker
    Saad Awad vs. Joe Duarte
    Casey Ryan vs. Paul Song
    Edgar Cardenas vs. Rolando Perez

2. TFK

TFK Clutch

This should be a good card. I'm looking forward to it.

As much as I can't stand Nick Diaz, I just don't see him losing to Daley. Daley is overated as a striker, and is completely worthless on the ground. Diaz may be a dumbass, but in the cage, he's not dumb. He's not gonna stand there and let Daley hit him. He'll take Daley down at will, tire him out on the ground, and either GNP him, or he might let him up and just tee off on him after he gasses in the championship rounds. Diaz by KO 4.

All things considered, Kawajiri is a better fighter than Melendez. But apparently with everything going on in Japan, Kawajiri hasn't been focused in his training, and from what I hear, hasn't done any training in a cage. That could be big trouble for him. Granted, he could still win and it wouldn't surprise me if he did, because like I said, Kawajiri is better than Melendez, but look for Gil to win a pedestrian UD.

Mousasi vs Jardine could be brutal. I like Jardine because he leaves it all in the cage, but he is limited as a fighter. Unless somehow Jardine is able to slow down Mousasi with leg kicks, I see him falling prey to a highlight reel KO. Mousasi KO 1.

Aoki vs. Beerbohm may be the most interesting fight of the night. It's a crossroads fight with Aoki, who was once the concensus #1 lightweight on the planet, is on his way down, and Beerbohm, in spite of losing his last fight, is on the rise and has loads of potential. Aoki didn't look comfortable at all in the cage against Melendez, and I'm guessing he won't be allowed to wear his ridiculous long pants that give him an advantage on the ground. Look for Fancy Pants to win in an upset by UD.

TFK

3. Black Gatti

Black Gatti Member

I'll be at this fight on Saturday and the weigh in tomorrow.

4. TFK

TFK Clutch

Cool. How good are your seats?

Ever been to an MMA show before?

TFK

5. Black Gatti

Black Gatti Member

Yea, been to about 4 UFC's and a shitload of local MMA shows.

One of my amatuer boxers is the graphic designer for Clinch Gear (Hendersons co.) so we get access to their shows, weigh ins, media events etc..

You been to alot?

6. TFK

TFK Clutch

I used to go to a lot of the local shows before I got married, but not so much anymore. I think the last UFC show I saw live was UFC 67. Before the MMA explosion you used to be able to get really good seats for cheap. These days, you're paying out the ass for nosebleeds.

For as much as I love MMA, I don't like the way it translates live, especially if you're not up close, and even more so if it's in a cage as opposed to a ring. When the fight goes to the ground, it's really not easy to see what's going on. The atmosphere is awesome though, especially if it's a big event.

There used to be a place not far from me called The RexPlex that used to host a lot of MMA, but they went out of business. Now, if I want to see a show I have to go to Atlantic City, and I hate Atlantic City. Plus, it's a bit of a trek for me. I do miss getting to see fighters before they make it big though, as I saw a lot of fighters long before they ever made it big, like Eddie Alvarez, Josh Koshcheck, Ben Rothwell, Frankie Edgar, the Miller brothers, Chael Sonnen, etc.

TFK

7. Black Gatti

Black Gatti Member

You said it perfect. MMA is actually better to watch at home like you said but the atmosphere is good live.

The weigh in yesterday for this STRIKFORCE tonight was a real intense atmosphere as well. We were all in just a small room and a who's who of MMA guys. I don't recognize most the MMA guys, my boy had to keep letting me know who's who. I'd be like "Mike who was I just talking to? ... He'd be like "Domink Cruz". haha

let me see if I can recite off the top of my head all the guys in the room yesterday:

Josh Barnett, Nick Diaz, Paul Daley, Dan Henderson, Dominik Cruz, Gilbert Melendez, Phil Davies, Strikeforce announcers(forgot their names), Keith Jardine, Mousasse(sp), Rob & Big(from Rob & Big show), Jimmy Lennon jr., Aoki, Nate Diaz & about 50 others that I'm forgetting or don't know their names.

8. R_jay

R_jay Member

Unfortunately this is not shown on TV here, if anyone felt the need to PM me a stream it would be appreciated.

9. TFK

TFK Clutch

Aoki ain't dead yet. Quick submission win against a very good Beerbohm.

TFK

10. TFK

TFK Clutch

You gotta love Keith Jardine. Comes in overmatched, on short notice, gets bludgeoned, but still makes it a fight and hangs in there for the distance against a top 10 205er.

TFK

11. TFK

TFK Clutch

WTF? A Draw?

I know Mousasi lost a point, but c'mon.

TFK

12. TFK

TFK Clutch

Wow. Questionable stoppage. Melendez was winning the fight, but Kawariri was by no means hurt by those elbows.

TFK

13. TFK

TFK Clutch

Another questionable stoppage, and Diaz wins again after almost getting stopped by fringe contender Daley.

TFK

14. R_jay

R_jay Member

I wouldn't really call Daley a fringe contender.

15. TLC

TLC Member

Truly amazing performance from Melendez.

ME was a good show as well.

16. TFK

TFK Clutch

Like I said earlier, Daley's stand up is very overated, and he's clueless on the ground. He had Diaz all but out on the ground and had no clue how to capitalize on it.

TFK

17. Trplsec

Trplsec Member

Wow, your dislike of Diaz really distorts your view. Diaz was never 'all but out'. I agree with you about Daley not being a very good fighter overall but his stand-up, and especially his power, can't really be questioned. The guy has 38 MMA fights and Diaz is the first one to stop him with strikes. That's pretty impressive. Again, Diaz beats a fighter at their own game.

But as I told TLC months ago, Daley's biggest problem is lazy training. The dude was gassed after 4 minutes. The reason he couldn't finish Diaz on the ground was because he ultimately needed a breather. And if you don't think it has to do with cutting 12.5 pounds the day before the fight, your crazy.

18. Trplsec

Trplsec Member

I had it a draw. I gave Jardine the first round due to the 4 take downs and he got the extra point for the foul. Obviously Mousasi got the 2nd and 3rd but that equates to a draw.

I don't think Mousasi won either the 2nd or 3rd big enough to get a 10-8 round with current MMA scoring standards. Personally I think 10-8 rounds and even rounds should be given a little more liberally. But they aren't.

19. TLC

TLC Member

Show had a weird vibe to it with Dana being there and all of the UFC vs Strikeforce talk. Especially considering Dana said he really wasn't going to do the co-promotion thing.

Also, big big slops to Takaya for losing to a complete unknown.

Absolutely unreal. I've always been down on the guy, but it is boggling to the mind how Flash lost to this guy. Poor day for JMMA all around with the exception of Aoki making quick work of his grossly overmatched opponent.

Kawajiri getting absolutely hammered in 1 was a real stunner, most thought that fight would be a competitive decision. Melendez looks on another level at 155.

20. Trplsec

Trplsec Member

Do you think he's changing his mind? I agree that the constant talk, especially in the cage after the Melendez fight, really shocked me. How do you continue to promote Strikeforce separately if you keep bringing up unification?