(Showtime PPV) Miguel Cotto vs. Ricardo Mayorga, Zappavigna/Vasquez, Foreman/Wolak: Final Predictio

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Boxingfanatics.com

Boxingfanatics.com Administrator Staff Member

Round 11

Cotto boxing, using lateral movement. Mayorga misses wildly and taunts Cotto for not standing with him. Mayorga continues to miss wildly. Mayorga doing a lot of talking but not enough punching.

Cotto 10-9

2. Boxingfanatics.com

Boxingfanatics.com Administrator Staff Member

Round 12

Mayorga comes out firing and gets countered with a big left which sends him to the canvas. He beats the referee's count while complaining that he injured his left hand. After a brief delay, he continues. Cotto pours it on. After absorbing another big punch, Mayorga motions to the ref that he's had enough.

Cotto retains his title via 12th round TKO.

3. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

But for a cheater and a freak, Cotto is undefeated. Methodical in his boxing and breaking down as ever. Gotta love him. Ringo

4. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Cotto can be happy he didn't fight Martinez, that would be an ugly fight for him.

5. El tanke

El tanke Member

well its clear Cotto can beat most fighters, but he will never beat great ones (or cheaters)
    Do you think cotto would beat Canelo Alvarez?

6. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Yeah I still think he would beat Alvarez although maybe not for to much longer. Cotto doesn't have a long time left IMO.

7. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

foreman sucks. what a fuckin joke.

8. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

yes did foreman quit? what happened

9. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Didn't see this particular fight...but I don't need too...Martinez would murder Cotto at this point.

10. Rebel

Rebel Admin

He really doesn't. I had him beating Mayorga decisively, but it wasn't easy for him. He looked a bit tired towards the end and both of his eyes were pretty marked up. I'm not even sure he's top 5 at 154 right now.

11. El tanke

El tanke Member

Im surprised he struggled with Mayorga, he should have KOd him in 7 rounds. yet he went 12 and had a tough fight.

I think Cotto has 2 or 3 fights left in him, then he will be done.
    Then the Chavez jrs and the Canelos will start calling him out.

12. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I'm surprised Mayorga retired. Perhaps it won't last very long. He was competitive tonight and can probably still make a few good bucks if he sticks around for a little longer.

13. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

About the only thing i got right today was that Cotto wouldn't take Mayorga out easily.

Cotto is going to struggle at 154 imo.... he isn;t quite big enough and he doesn't have the stamina to volume punch the way he needs to in order to win decisive rounds with pure speed combination punching.

does anyone agree with me that they don;t want to see a Cotto-Margarito rematch? I think Margarito might win again... and i am not sure he would have won the first match without the plaster. i don't want margarito to win the rematch

14. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I think Margarito wins again. As you pointed out, Cotto is just not big enough for 154. Margarito would very likely walk him down again because Cotto doesn't have the speed or power to tame him.

15. Black Gatti

Black Gatti Member

Pretty entertaining fight!!

I agree Margarito would beat Cotto again.

16. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

I want Margarito to beat Cotto again...I'm one of those people that believes he didn't know about the wraps. If he decisively beats cotto again will he get credit this time?

After watching Mayorga I feel that he showed dignity in retiring. I wish more fighters would follow that example. I see the same thing happening next week. Shane takes an unnecessary beating and retires.

17. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

i think that if they have a rematch Cotto should be allowed to have plaster in his gloves

18. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

by the way, did anyone get the impression that Tommy Brooks had a serious axe to grind with Yuri Foreman?

19. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

You know for a fact Margarito had plaster in his gloves in that fight? no you don't, unless one was there how do we know for sure.

20. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz