Saul Alvarez vs. Alfonso Gomez Added to Mayweather/Ortiz Card

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Jul 26, 2011.

1. sanchito

sanchito BF Resident Douchebag

I think Canelo is a champ in name only. Also Canelo is doing things the traditional Mexican way in that he is learning on the job. I think they are pretty equal in terms of development with Canelo have better talent but with Angulo having fought better opponents by way of his one fight with Cintron. Other than that, even....

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

angulo is a crude version of a crude pipino cuevas.

3. sanchito

Wow. You think he hits THAT hard?

4. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

up to this point in his career, yes. he can only improve his power, too.

5. sanchito

I have seen a few of his fights where he looks like he has cumulative power. Not as many one punch KO's like early in his career. Makes sense, no? As opponent quality increases the harder it's going to be to catch someone, but when he does land they are not falling like they used to either...I dunno. Cuevas was Cuevas, true one punch KO power. This guy seems like he has a mix.

6. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

too me, watching canelo is like watching juan diaz or tim bradley....lots of supposed power but nothing but decisions. i hate that shit.

with angulo, there is always a chance he'll tear someones fucking head off like he did to yorgey.

7. sanchito

I feel ya there...although I always thought Canelo's power was more cumulative (like Chavez)...he just has to figure out when to step on the gas pedal to finish...Where's Buffalo Martin when you need him? Oh yeah, dead. Anyway, I understand your point. I still believe that Canelo handles Angulo if/when they fight.

8. El tanke

El tanke Member

Im positive Angulo KOs hypejob Canelo, he isnt on anyone radar outside of Mexicali and Calexico? LMAO, there you sounded like a true canelo fanboy.
    Angulo has fought and defeated better fighters, is seasoned at 28 and if lightweight JM Cotto was able to hurt Canelo badly, imagine what superwelter Angulo does.
    Theres a reason why Canelo is beign matched up againts non punchers, like Baldomir, Gomez and Hatton. Angulos chin has been tested, and he has passed with flying colors.
    Angulo isnt a ticket seller? was Rhodes a ticket seller? is Gomez a ticket seller? LOL. Nacho bereinstain asked the question, why didnt Canelo fight Angulo for the vacant title?
    They use the same excuse for not matching Chavez jr vs Sergio Martinez "hes not a ticket seller" Worst excuse us mexicans use now a days.
    Angulo is meaner, stronger, has a better chin, has more heart, hits harder, has more experience, and is a man not a boy. Im sure, that if they fought tomorrow Angulo would KO canelos ass. And Im willing to put 100 bucks down.

9. El tanke

El tanke Member

And Yorgey is the same guy who beat Chavez' next opponent, Ronald Hearns. Perhaps we should ask ex KO artist Kermit Cintron why he failed to trade punch for punch with Angulo. Angulo lost that fight, but Cintron is better than anyone Canelo has fough to date, or is it safe o say that tata baldomir was better? or Alfonso Gomez, or Matthew Hatton? LOL

10. sanchito

You're right in that Angulo is a man and Canelo a boy. I don't understand the hate for Canelo. He needs to come up slowly and they are bringing him along just fine. Is he a champ? Not in my eyes, of course not. I don;t think he deserves all of the hate he gets from people on this site though. Angulo and Canelo is a toss up. If you were handling Canelo would you have him go up against someone that is high risk, not a champ, not a high payday, and someone who adds no silverware? Seriously, would you? If you say "yes" you are crazy.

11. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

"Angulo and Canelo is a toss up."

It sounds as if you now don't think canelo would destroy angulo as you said in your first post.

12. sanchito

This is the thing....Angulo eats WAY too many punches and throws wide. I am basing my prediction on what I have seen, it sounds like you and Tanke have seen more of him than I have and I respect your opinions. You all think Angulo destroys Canelo I think Canelo destroys Angulo, but the truth is that the reality is most likely somewhere in the middle.

13. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

after seeing all of canelo's opponents, i'd say that none of them have half the power that angulo has, and canelo was rocked by jose miguel cotto. i actually still don't understand why they stopped that fight in the first place.

14. sanchito

Cotto was getting landed on repeatedly with only weak punches coming in return...it made sense to me.

Everyone brings up the Cotto fight as evidence that Canelo's chin is weak. Could it be that Cotto just landed a nice almost homerun punch?

15. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

difference being that cotto's homerun punch would get a squibber to third while angulo's would go to left-center, and he'd land many of them.

there is also a reason why canelo hasn't been matched with a fighter that drops bombs. i'm thinking his trainer knows something we don't.

16. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Canelo vs. Angulo would be a very good fight. Considering all the ring rust Angulo has right now, I'd take Canelo in a close scrap if they fight within 6 months. Angulo needs to shake the rust off quickly. I'm guessing GBP won't give him enough fights to do that and Canelo will win a lackluster albeit convincing decision when/if they fight anytime soon.

17. davemurphy

davemurphy Member

I think it's a great fight, on paper at least, but I fear Roach would have Canello fighting a safety first style and just outpointing Angolu, without the fireworks that we really expected to see when we sat down to watch it.

18. El tanke

El tanke Member

Thats what Ive been saying all along, hes been matched against soft punchers, and still has managed to look hittable and just a little better than ordinary. He keep getting matched against welterweights, who do not punch very hard. Angulo has already fought Cintron and Julio and we know his wiskers are just fine.
    If they were to match them right now, Id give Canelo a chance, if they match them in a year, Id pick Angulo by KO. Canelo is very slow of feet and doesnt have the defense or mobility to stay away from Angulo for 12 round, and doesnt hit hard enough to KO Angulo.
    I mean, lets look at the people they have been fighting. Eventhough Canelo is the "champ" and has twice as many fights than Angulo, his opponents arent near as good as Angulos. Period, the hate for Canelo comes from him beign a hype job, who is famous for beign a red headed Mexican pretty boy and not for his fights.

19. El tanke

El tanke Member

Im going to angulos fight this weekend, Ill report on the ring rust.

20. El tanke

El tanke Member

It took Canelo almost a minute and a half to recover, I mean he wasnt just stunned, he was almost out on his feet. Did you see how Mares was rocked by Agbeko? Well Mares was firing back hard within 30 secs. Canelo was trying to move, but his legs looked very heavy and his eyes looked confused, if he wasnt KOd right then and there is because Cotto is lightweight soft puncher. Imagine what a hard hitting true super welterweight, would do to Canelo if he has him in that kind of position. Did you see what Angulo did to Yorgey and Rosado when they were hurt? He was on them like a DOG until they were KOd.