Saul Alvarez Calls Out Juan Manuel Marquez

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

honestly rebel I don't understand why you rate JMM so highly. He was a very good fighter but great he is not. It seems like he has always been the dark horse. When Barrera and Morales were having their epic battles he was nowhere to be found... fighting fighters.

Whats his claim of fame almost beating Pac? He got whipped by Mayweather, he got bullied by Pacquio. he is one of those underachievers that had the talent to have been so much more. He is the epitome of mediocrity.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Lots of guys beat up inferior competition easily, like I said JMM established himself later. Way later. I am sure you remember what I think of Alvarez though, he's not very good.

3. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

In his last two fights he koed baldomir and walked through Ndou...He did what he should have done with that caliber of opposition. The same Baldomir that beat up Arturo Gatti and one of your favorite fighters Zab Judah. I know you like flashy boxers but styles make fights. Canelo has an ugly style but he wins fights.

4. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

I always read that Canelo has a big following in Jalisco Mexico. is that the only place that likes him. Or what. What's up with that.

5. Valdosta

I like all kinds of fighters. Alvarez beat a shot Baldomir coming out of retirement and undersized Ndou. Those were hardly any kind of great wins. He got rocked badly by Jose Cotto and wasn't to impressive there. Overall Alvarez has a lot to prove against better competition. He wins? That's nice because he's supposed to be beating this level of competition especially when they are smaller guys.

6. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

Where did you hear that? I live in Baja and everyone here is big on him... a little too much. I'm somewhere in the middle with him, I'll wait and see what happens. But unlike some critics in here I see more pos than neg things about him.

7. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

In this corner. Robert Morales columnist. Daily News Sports. In LA,Ca. It said Canelo had a rock star following in Jailsco. Don't know if its true or not. Just what I read.

8. El tanke

El tanke Member

and you go suck an inmates dick, you fucking Homo. Hope you read this before rebel deletes it.

9. El tanke

El tanke Member

In agreement 100% and yes, Cotto had him really hurt. Eventhough Cotto is a lightweight, can you imagine what happens when a guy his own size who can punch lands on him?

10. Valdosta

He's a KO waiting to happen, that's why he's fighting a guy like Hatton to win a title. His defense is shit IMO.

11. El tanke

El tanke Member

He is better than JCC jr, but I just dont understand why guys like Abner Mares, Giovanni Segura and Alfredo Angulo are not known in Mexico. Yet Canelo is a superstar, I think it has to do with his looks, seriously though. Nobody in Mexico knows who those other guys are, yet every one and their grandma knows Canelo.
    I hope he fights some one in the top 10 @ 154 for petes sake, but Im guessing his defenses will be vs has beens, unknowns and lightweights who cant punch.

12. Valdosta

People talk crap about some of the types of fighters I like but I like the 3 guys you just mentioned. Mares and Segura are unquestionably better than Alvarez. I think Angulo would smash him also. It is annoying though that those guys don't get the attention that Alvarez does. He's not a bad fighter, but he shouldn't be headlining a HBO card.

13. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

Okay you out of all people should know that in boxing it takes more than raw talent to get the attention of boxing fans. In the end of De La Hoya's career Oscar was not even a top ten fighter, he simply didn't have it anymore. Yet he was the biggest draw hardly an empty seat in his fights. Did he deserve all that attention? There was guys more deserving yet he was always the top attraction in boxing. There's too many examples of this. That's what you and Tanke can't understand about boxing.

14. Valdosta

I understand it just fine but it don't make a fighter any better than he really is. You could ask Gatti, well if he wasn't dead. Hype and ticket sells don't make you a better fighter, especially if you have some BIG flaws like no defense. All that makes you is a fighter who will be exposed when he quits being coddled.

15. Mark G

Mark G Member

I agree that his defenses will be against exactly those kinds of people you are talking about.

But hey, he's 20 years old. How many 20 year olds are out there fighting Manny Pacquiao?

Go to boxrec, pull up some records of some superstars and see who they were fighting when they were 20. De la Hoya fought Renaldo Cater and Troy Dorsey, Vargas, who most believe was moved to quickly, was fighting Eduardo Vargas and Jose Fernandez, Mosley hadn't even turned pro yet, Roy Jones turned pro at 20 and was fighting Ricky Randel and Stephan Johnson.

FUCK, Alvarez has a damn good resume for this stage in his career. Find me a list of fighters who have a better one at 20. He has two wins over current IBF lightweight champ Miguel Vazquez, Jose Cotto, Baldomir, Matthew Hatton, N'dou - sure. they aren't superstars but this is very good comp. for his age.

For his age and his stage in his development, he's doing fine. If he is still fighting these guys THREE YEARS from now, then its time to start bagging on him. But for now, his level of comp. has been right where it should be, if not advanced.

16. TIP

TIP Member

I agree Mark. Good post. TIP

17. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

Fuckin A...I couldnt have said it better myself. I was too lazy to look it up. In comparison to those guys you mentioned Canelo is doing pretty good at this point.

18. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

Another thing, I also remember when Oscar was coming up many Mexican men hated him because they thought he was too pretty to be a fighter. Old fat mexican boxing fans hate Canelo for the same reasons. Not every Mexican fighter has to look like Chavez, Morales and Barrera to be good. Canelo has the look that attracts the casual boxing fans just like Oscar De La Hoya. Young Mexican girls love Canelo and they don't give a fuck about Segura or that mutt Angulo.

19. Rebel

Rebel Admin

A fight fan who believes Saul Alvarez is the future of Mexican boxing doesn't understand why Marquez is highly rated by hardcore boxing fanatics? Why am I not surprised?

20. Rebel

Rebel Admin

DLH had already put in the work though. Even early in his career he was facing quality fighters, who were smaller but in their primes or close to their primes.

I never thought I'd say this, but if you compare Alvarez's competition to JCC Jr's competition, both have thin resumes but at least JCC has faced fighters from his own weight class. The powers that be just wanted Alvarez's name attached to a title so he can be more marketable thus becoming an even bigger cash cow for GBP/HBO.

The talent he has displayed does not come close to justifying the hype behind him.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011