Saul Alvarez Calls Out Juan Manuel Marquez

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Alvarez has issued a challenge to JMM very likely due to the fact that JMM recently criticized the WBC's decision to allow Alvarez to face junior welterweight, Matthew Hatton, for the vacant WBC super welterweight title.

Alvarez is still a prospect in my eyes, but if he wants to call fighters out, he should at least focus on fighters from 147-160.

2. HOMICIDE

HOMICIDE 2011 Super Bowl Champs

Yeah that is weak as hell, stay in your own division but don't be calling no guy out who just fought at 135, that's BS right there even if block head deserves it :P

3. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

fuck the wbc. the list of former super-welter champs include benitez, hearns, rosi, curry, mugabi, norris, brown, de la p4p, nosley, and floyd.

now, alvarez is going to fight m. hatton for it.

my, how the mighty have fallen.

4. Rebel

Rebel Admin

It sure has.

What are you personal impressions of Canelo?

5. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

over-hyped like julito by mesko. they are no talent frauds.

so far, canelo has fought a blown up brother of cotto and will fight a blown up brother of hatton.

since he already called out juan manuel marquez, he'll probably end up fighting rafael instead.

here's to perro angulo knocking his ass out cold.

6. Rebel

Rebel Admin

JCC Jr. will never even be a real contender in any division he fights in. He's quite slow and lacks pop. He also looks like he's going to crumble when he faces some real adversity against a quality opponent.

Alvarez has much more potential than JCC Jr.

7. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

What do you expect? JMM talked trash about the fight that had nothing to do with him, so Alvarez challenged him.

8. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

it had everything to do with him. both marquez and alvarez are with GBP, so any hype is better than no hype.

read between the lines, nigga.

9. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

Yeah I could see if he was just trying to pick on old little guys but Marquez opened his mouth first. Seems like Marquez has been doing a lot of crying lately. No way the fight would actually happen. It would have to be at 147 where neither of them has a belt so there would be no incentive to make it other than some money in Mexico. Unless ofcourse Marquez really wanted to piss off Oscar by beating their new golden boy.

10. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

Canelo is about 10 times the fighter JCC Jr is. He has some potential as well as charisma and work ethic which means he'll go pretty far. I don't think he'll be as great as Oscar is hyping him up to be. Popular sure but his speed is ordinary, defense is ok, doesn't have great size for welterweight or superwelterweight. He better hope his KO strength increase as he matures cause that's going to be his biggest weapon.

JCC Jr on the other hand is as big a fraud as I've ever seen in boxing. I can't wait to see him get ko'd and run away from the sport forever.

11. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

so pretty much summed up a very average fighter.....with all his hype, that = a fraud.

12. Rebel

Rebel Admin

He was on a Mexican sports show and was asked what he thought about it. Is he suppose to lie and say it's a legit championship bout he can't wait to see?

13. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

You say JMM is such a good speaker in spanish so maybe he should have tried to be a little more politically correct instead of the asshole that he is. I hope they fight and Alvarez kicks his teeth in.

14. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

^^^^ufff, que corajudo!!!

15. Rebel

Rebel Admin

JMM could heal the world yet Valdosta would still find a way to rip into him. :mexsmiley:

16. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

Tired of seeing Canelo protected. After he destroys Hatton, its really time to start taking on the world class.

I'm sure Mike Jones wouldnt mind stepping up and fighting Canelo for that belt.

Or better yet... lets see Alvarez vs Erislandy Lara in 2011(fat chance..... they would NEVER put him in with Lara).

The ONLY non-world class fighter Canelo would get excused for fighting is Chumpez Jr. That little pimple faced fraud has to be excused.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  17. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Well he'll be turning 21 in a few months, and if he and his people are going to advertise him as a Champion, he should definitely step up.

Gary Shaw is trying to get the WBC to enforce Perro Angulo as Canelo's mandatory after he disposes of Hatton. That makes sense to me, particularly since Canelo has a huge following in Mexico and Angulo can only fight in that country for the time being. Canelo won't have an excuse to not face Angulo.

18. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

Agreed. Canelo vs Angulo in Mexico is definitely an attractive fight.

Its time we know the answer about Canelo's chin. Perro would DEFINITELY answer the question. And the answer might not please the Canelo fans... but on the other hand, I'm in the minority cause I DO think Angulo is a winnable fight for him.

Most ppl seem to think that Angulo will kill him.

19. Rebel

Rebel Admin

From what I've seen so far, I would call that a 50/50 type fight. Angulo is slow and limited but he's got whiskers and he can bang a bit. He's a big step up from Cotto's brother.

20. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

Fuck yeah I'd pay to watch that fight! I agree with you if GB is going to get him this bullshit title shot and tout him as a champ then he's going to have to step it up right after this shit. You can't say that "oh he's only 20 he needs time" then go around and try to have him grab world titles around his waist. Can't have it both ways.