RIP Jake LaMotta

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rabid Kimba, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

The forum has been dead for a few days...so maybe this thread will get posters going again...

https://sports.yahoo.com/boxer-lamotta-immortalized-raging-bull-dies-95-152919130--box.html

Amazing, dude got hit throughout his career like nobody's business, especially from six fights with by Sugar Ray Robinson, including the infamous St Valentine's Day Massacre fight, yet still lived to the ripe old age of 95, baddass till the end...you never knocked me down, Ray...

:thumby:

2. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind but my disdain for LaMotta is well documented. Average fighter who lucked out to win a title, his claim that he was ducked by by a succession of middleweight champions is rubbish, his admittance of throwing a fight against Billy Fox to get a title shot is bullshit as well. He was a very popular fighter I'll give him that but the movie Raging Bull turned him into a legend, something that his ability in the ring would never have accomplished.

3. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

LaMotta fighting Ray Robinson six times, even knocking him down twice, all of them close bouts (heck, he should've won two of them) except their sixth and final one (St Valentine's Day Massacre)...showing granite chin throughout his career...hardly the bum you make him out to be.

Was he an all time great? Hardly, as he was plodding and crude...but he was a pretty damn good fighter nevertheless given his athletic limitations.

Anyway, he just died, I'm just saying...

4. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Matos is ruthless.... Im with Matos throw some dirt on him he's done. Lol jk

5. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

oh, and raging bull is a boring, overrated movie.

6. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

I'm not into black and white movies. I mean it's not like they didn't have the technology to make it in color. Stupid move imo.

7. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Sanchito, help, lol...

8. Rebel

Rebel Admin

RIP.

9. dazbag

dazbag Manos Daz Piedra

Agree with Matos (as usual). Tough as teak, sure, but crude as an oil well.

Great story.

Not so great fighter.

10. Remus

Remus Member

Lamotta was a man who proved talent isn’t a requirement to be a wc. What he lacked in skill he made up for in tenacity, courage and downright meanness.

Raging bull was an ok movie and an ok script acted beautifully.