Rank the five best light heavyweights Roy Jones Jr. faced off against

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

There are other fighters such as Barkley-Hearns, and more. Where one fighter beats another fighter two times. Was Barkley better than Hearns accomplishment wise, no. The question is was Barkley better than Hearns. Barkley had Hearns number. Tyson Douglas will never know. Then again Douglas did whip Tyson pretty good. Was Douglas career better than Tyson, no. Was Douglas better than Tyson. On that night Douglas was better. That's how it is in Boxing. No matter how good or great a fighter there is always one that has the others number. Another example Mayorga-Forrest. Tarver had Jones number.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. witton_lane

witton_lane Boxing Fanatics All-Time Great

So you agree that there's a difference between 'having someones number' or 'catching them at the right time' than actually being a 'better fighter than' then?

That was my point.

3. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

It depends on which fight or fighters we are talking about.

4. witton_lane

Of course it does, which is why your "Tarver is a better fighter than Jones" statement is so weird. I think if you asked any historian who was the greater fighter there's no fucking way ANY of them would choose Tarver, it's like asking if Spinks was better than Holmes. I don't care if they were the same age, Tarver caught Jones at the right time in the right place, to say he was a 'better' fighter than Jones is outright fucking nonsense because he never did anything in his career to suggest it apart from the Jones fights where Jones was clearly way past prime. Prime doesn't always happen at the same age....otherwise Hopkins would be rated above Hagler and Ali in the P4P lists :lol:

Of course boxrec will forever tell us that Tarver is 2-1 against Jones, no disputing that. Boxrec will also tell us that Purrity is 1-0 over Wlad Klitschko, Amir Khan is 1-0 over Barrera, Berbick is 1-0 over Ali etc etc etc I could go on all fucking night. Was Tarver a better 'fighter' than Jones? FUCK NO.

I understand there's a general hatred of Jones on this board but to call Tarver a better fighter than him is fucking idiotic.

5. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

Tarver caught Jones Jr. at the right time. How is that so. Jones Jr.lost a handful of rounds in his entire career UNTIL he fought Tarver. In your opinion at what point was Jones Jr. on the decline.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  6. witton_lane

I think he was declining before he fought Clinton Woods, Alton Merkerson said as much himself around the time of the Glen Kelley fight. Going up to HW and coming back down again was unwise at the age he was....he still beat Tarver in that first fight but the writing was on the wall at that stage, he was getting trapped against the ropes, taking shots he wouldn't have taken in his prime etc.

Of course if you hate Jones then feel free to believe that Tarver would have beaten him at any stage and was the better fighter, it's up to you but you're flat out wrong. History will remember Jones as a far better fighter than Antonio Tarver who will just be a footnote because he got Jones at the right time. Tarver should thank Jones for even being a footnote because had Jones not rematched him and had the sense to hang them up then we wouldn't even be discussing this.

7. TIP

TIP Member

Do you think Tarver at the same age as Jones was also on the decline?

8. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

of course not TIP. You obviously have no logical basis for this statement except for blind hatred. This is the asinine, ridiculous argument I am gonna go with here.

9. witton_lane

Nope, same as with Hopkins. Prime Jones owns both of them, same with that cowardly bitch Calslappy.

Of course the Jones haters will try to point out that it was prime Roy in all those fights....despite the fact that the aforementioned had avoided the shit out of him in his prime because they knew what they'd get :lol: Stunning how Jones has gone from the most over-rated fighter ever to the most under-rated fighter ever in such a short space of time. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle but fuck anyone that says that Tarver and Glen fucking Johnson were better fighters than him.....just not the case.

10. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

The Woods fight. Who did Jones fight next. Ruiz. I guess by your estimation a less than able Jones Jr. beat one of the four best heavyweights in the last decade,stated by yourself.. That's shows how great Jones Jr. really is I guess.Not at his best but still beat John Ruiz. Im just going by your point of view. Wouldn't a better argument be that Jones Jr's decline started with the Tarver fights?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  11. Joe King

Joe King Member

It's an honest look. Jones was hit much more than usual during the Woods fight and his footspeed looked slugglish. In retrospect it was clear that's when the decline started but at the time it was so foreign that it was looked at as a so-so performance.

12. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Jones also struggled against Griffin in their first fight and against Harding.

When other fighters struggle against opposition in their primes, excuses aren't made about them slipping. But somehow RJJ fanatics, love to make excuses for him.

Fact is that at the time RJJ was destroyed by Tarver, he was still #1 on just about every publication, and particularly #1 on every RJJ fanatic's list.

13. Joe King

Joe King Member

If you think a fighter's prime is at 35 years old after 200+ amateur fights and 16 years in the pros, then you are really really stupid.

14. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Of course not, but let's not act like he was shot either. Fact is that he was still your p4p #1 and was still rated as the #1 by most of his fans and the majority of boxing publications when he crumbled.

15. TIP

TIP Member

Tarver had near 170 amateur matches and was 35 years old as well.

16. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

Yeah but that does not count according to RJJ fans. Age does not count. Being in the same division on a collision course does not count. Also the fact that Tarver started his career 8 years later does not count. Don't forget question RJJ and your a hater, I guess that counts. Logic does not. HATERS!!!

17. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Even funnier is the fact that RJJ seldom got tagged prior to Tarver 2. It's not like he crumbled after years of wars. He was a young 35 when he fought Tarver.

Take JMM for example. He's taken a lot of punishment since Pacquiao 1, yet he's still going strong at 37. Why hasn't he crumbled yet? Because he has a lot of the intangibles (chin, heart, balls, ability to take punishment, great recovery skills) RJJ never possessed.

RJJ was always a chinny front runner, but for the longest time his poor opposition and stellar speed masked his weaknesses (chin, inability to fight in the pocket, poor recovery skills).

18. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

I like the PRIME Roy delusion the best. What the hell. A Prime Roy beat's them all.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  19. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Yes, prime RJJ defeats Foster, Spinks, and even Ali on the same night.

20. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

Not just defeat them. RJJ would have owned them.