Rank the five best light heavyweights Roy Jones Jr. faced off against

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Rebel

Rebel Admin

RJJ faced the following fighters at light heavyweight. In your opinion, who are the top five light heavyweights RJJ faced off against?

Mike McCallum
    Montel Griffin
    Virgil Hill
    Lou Del Valle
    Otis Grant
    Richard Frazier
    Reggie Johnson
    David Telesco
    Richard Hall
    Eric Harding
    Derrick Harmon
    Julio Gonzalez
    Glen Kelly
    Clinton Woods
    Antonio Tarver
    Glen Johnson
    Prince Badi Ajamu
    Anthony Hanshaw
    Felix Trinidad
    Joe Calzaghe
    Omar Sheika
    Jeff Lacy
    Danny Green
    Bernard Hopkins

2. TIP

TIP Member

Virgil Hill
    Antonio Tarver
    Montel Griffin
    Reggie Johnson
    Bernard Hopkins

3. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Antonio Tarver (defeated Jones twice at light heavyweight)
    Glen Johnson (defeated Jones once via devasatating KO)
    Montell Griffin (defeated Jones once via DQ)
    Bernard Hopkins (defeated Jones via decision at light heavyweight despite being 4 years older at the time, 45 years of age)
    Virgil Hill (got blown away by RJJ)

As you can see, RJJ lost to just about every real test he faced at light heavyweight.

4. Rebel

Rebel Admin

It's too bad Calzaghe (another fighter who defeated Jones at light heavyweight) didn't fight a few more times at 175. Otherwise, I would've thrown him on the list as well.

5. Rebel

Rebel Admin

You don't think Glen Johnson has been a better light heavyweight than Reggie Johnson?

At light heavyweight, Johnson holds victories over Harding, Jones Jr., Griffin, Tarver, and I felt he defeated Chad Dawson in their first fight.

On the other hand, I don't believe any of Reggie Johnson's victories at light heavy are as impressive as the majority of those.

6. TIP

TIP Member

I guess you're right at least at 175. TIP

7. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

You just made a good argument for Roy facing good comp at 175. Even though Johnson beat Roy.

8. mikE

mikE Member

Calzaghe
    Tarver
    Hill
    Johnson
    Griffin

9. Rebel

Rebel Admin

4 out of your top 5 defeated him. Striking, isn't it?

10. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

He faced his best competition when he was on the downside of his career unfortunately. I don't know it took him so long, it's kind of sad now that he keeps punishing himself still to fight guys that are clearly better now. Didn't he just want to fight Adamek? Damn Roy where was this competitive fire 10 years ago?!

On a side note I hope Floyd follows Roy's same demise. Getting knocked out over and over and still fighting into his 40's. :mex:

11. witton_lane

witton_lane Boxing Fanatics All-Time Great

The same Calzaghe that openly admitted to ducking Jones when Jones was in his prime you mean? Despite your obvious hate for Jones throwing old Slappy up as a great LHW is ridiculous. He fought 2 fights at that weight, against 40+ year olds that he wouldn't have dreamt of fighting years earlier - and he got dropped early in both fights.

Prime Jones would have clowned Slappy, and he actually did clown Hopkins so you can scrub that name off the list too, along with Montell Griffin :slap: That's seriously reaching dude....seriously.

12. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Typical. Jones' biggest wins are mythical matchups that never took place.

Reread my post(s). I never claimed Calzaghe was a great light heavy. I even stated that I personally don't rate him as one of Jones' top 5 opponents at light heavy because he simply didn't have enough fights there.

A more experienced Jones defeated Hopkins 7-5 when Hopkins was very green. I guess Baby Arizmendi is the shiznit because he defeated the great Armstrong several times before Armstrong really came into his own. Great logic there.

How about you contribute to this topic by rating Jones' top 5 opponents at light heavy?

13. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

I agree. A prime Jones would have beat the shit out of Calzaghe. He just didn't have the reflexes to pull the trigger when they fought that late in his career. He probably would have got a KO or a TKO stoppage. If he could drop him when he was washed up imagine what he would have done when he could still throw 5 punches a second.

14. TIP

TIP Member

He might get drilled in the slammer.

15. witton_lane

I wasn't talking about Jones biggest wins, I was talking about comparing Slappy to Jones which is ludicrous. The prime Jones V Slappy fight is mythical because Slappy refused flat out to fight the guy, same as Collins, Benn and Eubank yet people still list these guys as fighters Jones ducked. Amazing because Benn, Eubank and Slappy have all admitted that they didn't fancy facing Jones back then.

Jones defeated Hopkins 8-4 or 9-3 depending on whether you hate Jones or not, it wasn't close at all.

16. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I'm still waiting for you to rank the top 5 light heavies Jones faced throughout his career....

Rewatch that fight against a very green Hopkins. It was a far from impressive 7-5, 8-4 victory.

17. witton_lane

Ignored my other points eh :winkold:

I've watched it time and time again, it was either 8-4 or 9-3 for me. All the judges had it 8-4 but it could have been wider. It would have been humilliating had Jones been fighting with 2 hands :nod:

I'm not playing the game of naming who I think were the top 5 LHW's Jones fought. You'll just come back and counter it with your list, no doubt his losses will be in there to suit your agenda....can't be bothered to be honest but if you think Glen Johnson was one of the best LHW's he faced then you're just flat out wrong.

18. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Many fighters fight with injuries. "It would would have..." The story of RJJ career... Nevermind the fact that Hopkins was extremely green at that time, eh? :whatver:

You won't post your list because it'll emphasize my point. Jones lost to the majority of the best light heavies he ever faced.

Glen Johnson isn't one of the best light heavies Jones fought? Are you serious? Who would you rank above him? Reggie Johnson? David Telesco? Old McCallum? :slap:

19. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

To be fair Roy Jones' prime, and the form on which he is rated as an all time great, occurred at 168.

As for the top light heavies he fought:

Milk Dud
    Virgil Hill
    Glen Johnson
    Eric Harding
    Montell Griffin

Calzaghe doesn't count, and really Hopkins shouldn't either (altho i thought he was robbed against Pascal)

20. Rebel

Rebel Admin

An all-time great in a division with a 25-30 year history. You know how funny that sounds? :haha:

Thank you for posting your list. At least you're objective enough to recognize that Glen Johnson is indeed one of RJJ's best opponents at light heavyweight. :thumb: