PRESSURE Roy???...a PERILOUS Predicament....

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by REEDbtwntheLINES, Sep 9, 2002.

1. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by neil:
    Why argue with this Reed charactor anyway. This thread right here proves to me that he's a blind nuthugger/Roy apologist.

get a load of this shit:

I guess when there is a dangerous opponent out there for Roy who happens to be a mandatory, it then becomes the job of the sanctioning bodies to make the opponent more Marketable for PPV. what a fucking JOKE. Pathetic logic

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: neil ]
    <hr></blockquote>

:rolleyes:

Could U @ LEAST B Original N Insulting REED???...Creativity is ALL REED Requests,if he May B Sooooo BOLD...

REED NEVER Suggested that the Sanctioning Bodies Job Became "Making a Fight MORE Marketable for PPV...

U've Actually EXPOUNDED on REED's Initial Point,Which Was,Roy Petitioned 2 the Bodies Due 2 his OWN Debt,on the PPV End w/HBO...

But Quite Naturally,the Sanctioning Bodies KNEW That they Would Get a LARGER Sanctioning Fee,From BOTH Fighters,if It was on PPV...

How Bout U ELABORATE on What's So "Pathetic" About REED's Logic???...REED Likes 2 Deal N SPECIFICs...

REED [​IMG]

2. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by REED:

The Good Thing About FACTS is U Don't Have 2 "Write them Down"...They Stand on Their Own & R READILY Available 2 ALL...

U Call Them "EXCUSES",Cause it Paints a Picture of Roy That U'd Rather NOT Deal w/...a Picture Painted by the Actions of Roy's Potential Opponents,@ 1 Time or Another(Benn,Collins,Liles,Hopkins,MichalSHITski),of DOCUMENTED Reluctance...

REED Has NEVER Said that Roy has Done NOTHING Wrong...REED has Openly Criticized Roy 4 NOT Facing Buster Douglas...

REED OPENLY Expressed Disappointment when it was Discovered that Roy WOULDN'T B Fighting Jirov,after Vassily's Repeated Concessions...

Ward Is OLDER & Has Had MORE OPPORTUNITIES 2 Face Top 20 Opponents,than Clinton Woods...Like REED Said,he Expects Woods 2 B "N the Mix" @ 175...REED Ain't Saying he's a Future World Champion or that He'll Even WIN a Large # of Significant Fights...

But MUCH Like Telesco & Hall,REED Thinks Woods CAN Establish Himself as a Solid Contender...REED Ain't Guaranteeing or Wagering,Just Making an Obversation...

How N the Hell Can Light Heavy B the Worst Division,When 168 AND CRUSIER R Garbage???...Yet ANOTHER Blatant Generalization..."175 is the WORST Division N Boxing"...That's Just a Weak A$$ Attempt @ Belittling Roy Jones...

What's So Special About 160???...Or Welter,Now that Sugar Shane is Moving Up???...Is 130 REALLY a Better Division than 175???...

Ward has Looked Nearly as FEEBLE as Woods Did,vs Jones...Now Give Woods the Opportunity 2 Face Some Contenders @ 175...Who Know's???...

REED [​IMG]
    <hr></blockquote>

As I have already pointed out to you and you straight out denied it (arguing over MINOR points of wording) there is documentation that Jones avoided (priced himself out of) fights with Nunn, Rocco and DM. The fact is that there is documentation on both sides of the argument, there are two sides to the story on why Jones didnt fight all kinds of top fighters, but conveniently you only acknowledge those arguments that support Roy.

Again, IMO its illogical to criticize Roy for not fighting Douglas- no one should ever expect Jones to fight Heavyweights and you know this so yes- Roy has never done any wrong in your eyes. You "openly showed disappointment": for jones not fighting Jirov? hahaha please man, every time someone gives Jones shit for that (again imo its unfounded, Jones imo shouldn't have to fight above 175, and i believe you think along these lines too) i always REED from you that it is "widely known" blah blah blah that Jones was trying to bait Hopkins into taking his offer or whatever..... so don;t give me that as I know you don't criticize him for it.

Woods..... i see you didnt answer my question.... have you seen him fight other than against Jones? Funnily enough now that Jones has dominated him you are comparing him to a fighter that you have proven to dislike but as much as you hate to admit.... he has some solid wins. You are comparing what he MIGHT do (what you THINK) to things that Ward as ALREADY done..... and come on now you know that Ward is in a better division (i'm sure 140 only barely ranks above 175 in your opinon LOL).

yes Cruiserweight is crap..... but you are the first to point out how "marvelous" it is that Hill went on to win the title in that division. Cruiser has at least a champ that was a world class amateur (voted best of the 96 olympic games.... please correct me if i am wrong here) and i think a promising young prospect in Wayne Braithwaite (speculation at this point tho i admit) what does 168 have for champs? Lucas i know you think is some fantastic fighter (surprise cuz Jones beat him) yet the WBC 168 belt has some of the most mediocre champs in all of boxing- the guy Lucas beat for this title LOST TO A FORMER LIGHTWEIGHT!!!! Lucas also lost to Catley in the first bout too. Joe Calzaghe as much as i am a fan has proven the level of fighter he is. Omar Sheika has gotten two title shots in this division as well as a chance for another one which he lost to an ancient thomas tate. Sven Ottke, while i admit was a good fighter... has clearly slipped- getting totally outboxed by an 11 (or 12) fight novice until luckily finding out his chin is worse that Lewis; in a P4P sense.

Fuck i just typed this whole paragraph and just realized we had a misunderstanding haha..... Woods lost to a barely top 20 opponent in one of the worst divisions in boxing...... he lost to David Starie at 168 so it was in fact 168 i was talking about when i said it was possib ly the weakest div. in boxing.

I will leave that paragraph anyway.

Hitman

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: Hitman ]</p>

3. neil

neil Guest

Could U @ LEAST B Original N Insulting REED???...Creativity is ALL REED Requests,if he May B Sooooo BOLD...

REED NEVER Suggested that the Sanctioning Bodies Job Became "Making a Fight MORE Marketable for PPV...

U've Actually EXPOUNDED on REED's Initial Point,Which Was,Roy Petitioned 2 the Bodies Due 2 his OWN Debt,on the PPV End w/HBO...

But Quite Naturally,the Sanctioning Bodies KNEW That they Would Get a LARGER Sanctioning Fee,From BOTH Fighters,if It was on PPV...

How Bout U ELABORATE on What's So "Pathetic" About REED's Logic???...REED Likes 2 Deal N SPECIFICs...

REED [​IMG]
    <hr></blockquote>

The sanctioning bodies should want a guy who can actually sell some PPVs with his personality, not a boring ass fighter like Harding with zero personailty and no punching power.

Anyhow, Ive never heard of an instance where the champion wrote a fucking letter to the alphabet org. and got them to force the #1 guy into an eliminator.

As it worked out Roy ended up looking like shit vs an awkward boring Harding, because he forced the sanctioning bodies hand. Roy didnt make money on that pathetic PPV. As it was, a Tarver fight wouldve sold more PPVs (simply due to tarvers mouth), and couldve been an easier fight for Roy seeing as Tarver was less experienced and less tested back then and how he has improved since. But I guess Roy didnt want to take the chance of facing the hardest puncher of his career. Times up for Roy, he's gotta fight Tarver now whether he likes it or not.

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: neil ]</p>

4. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hitman:

As I have already pointed out to you and you straight out denied it (arguing over MINOR points of wording) there is documentation that Jones avoided (priced himself out of) fights with Nunn, Rocco and DM. The fact is that there is documentation on both sides of the argument, there are two sides to the story on why Jones didnt fight all kinds of top fighters, but conveniently you only acknowledge those arguments that support Roy.

Again, IMO its illogical to criticize Roy for not fighting Douglas- no one should ever expect Jones to fight Heavyweights and you know this so yes- Roy has never done any wrong in your eyes. You "openly showed disappointment": for jones not fighting Jirov? hahaha please man, every time someone gives Jones shit for that (again imo its unfounded, Jones imo shouldn't have to fight above 175, and i believe you think along these lines too) i always REED from you that it is "widely known" blah blah blah that Jones was trying to bait Hopkins into taking his offer or whatever..... so don;t give me that as I know you don't criticize him for it.

Woods..... i see you didnt answer my question.... have you seen him fight other than against Jones? Funnily enough now that Jones has dominated him you are comparing him to a fighter that you have proven to dislike but as much as you hate to admit.... he has some solid wins. You are comparing what he MIGHT do (what you THINK) to things that Ward as ALREADY done..... and come on now you know that Ward is in a better division (i'm sure 140 only barely ranks above 175 in your opinon LOL).

yes Cruiserweight is crap..... but you are the first to point out how "marvelous" it is that Hill went on to win the title in that division. Cruiser has at least a champ that was a world class amateur (voted best of the 96 olympic games.... please correct me if i am wrong here) and i think a promising young prospect in Wayne Braithwaite (speculation at this point tho i admit) what does 168 have for champs? Lucas i know you think is some fantastic fighter (surprise cuz Jones beat him) yet the WBC 168 belt has some of the most mediocre champs in all of boxing- the guy Lucas beat for this title LOST TO A FORMER LIGHTWEIGHT!!!! Lucas also lost to Catley in the first bout too. Joe Calzaghe as much as i am a fan has proven the level of fighter he is. Omar Sheika has gotten two title shots in this division as well as a chance for another one which he lost to an ancient thomas tate. Sven Ottke, while i admit was a good fighter... has clearly slipped- getting totally outboxed by an 11 (or 12) fight novice until luckily finding out his chin is worse that Lewis; in a P4P sense.

Fuck i just typed this whole paragraph and just realized we had a misunderstanding haha..... Woods lost to a barely top 20 opponent in one of the worst divisions in boxing...... he lost to David Starie at 168 so it was in fact 168 i was talking about when i said it was possib ly the weakest div. in boxing.

I will leave that paragraph anyway.

Hitman

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: Hitman ]
    <hr></blockquote>

Rocco,Nunn & Michal$HITski???...C'Mon,HITMAN...

Take a Wild Guess Who Roy was SUPPOSED 2 Fight,Instead of David Telesco...Take a Wild Guess Who Roy was SUPPOSED 2 Fight,Instead of Otis Grant...

That Would B Graciano Rocchigianni,on BOTH Counts...We've ALL Heard how Rocco BLEW his Money(Meant 4 Training Expenses)on Partying,Only 2 B a NO SHOW @ a Press Conference...COMPLETELY Unaccounted 4,by ANYONE...

Micheal Nunn has Had 2 Opportunities 2 FORCE a Shot @ Roy,but he LOST 2 Rocco & NEGLECTED 2 Ever Fight Clinton Woods...

He PLAYED Himself...

& REED Won't Even Dignify the MichalSHITski Assertion w/a Response,Other than 2 Say,Look @ his ACTIONs(Opposition & Over Seas Fights)...

REED Criticized Roy 4 NOT Facing Buster Douglas,Because REED STRONGLY Felt that Roy Could WIN that Fight...

As 4 the Disappointment REED Felt During the Jirov Situation,REED Was NOT on this Site @ that Time...So Unless U were REEDing S/O,U WOULDN'T Have Known & Therefore READ,when REED Expressed his Disappointment...

This was PRIOR 2 the Realization that Roy & Bernard were Negotiating the ENTIRE Time...

REED DOESN'T Criticize Roy 4 the Jirov Fight NOW,But U're the 1 that Said REED holds Roy ABOVE Reproach & REED has Provided U w/@ Least 2 Instances of when he DIDN'T...

REED Never Saw Woods Fight til he Fought Roy Jones,But REED Saw Out of Woods,About as Much as RUDY Brings 2 the Table,Minus the Left Hook 2 the BOD...

It DOESN'T Take a Boat Load of Obversation 2 Pick Up on RUDY's Style & Tendencies & REED C's Some of That N Clinton Woods...U're Missing REED's Point...Comparing Woods 2 RUDY DOES NOT Mean Woods WILL Accomplish MUCH,Cause RUDY Hasn't...

REED is Saying that Woods is Capable of Being N Some "Fan Friendly" Fights w/Top Contenders @ 175...& he Just Might Eeeeeek Out a Win or 2...

REED Rides RUDY's A$$ Cause RUDY hasn't Done Much,Now When REED Points Out a Cat Who Can "Accomplish" as Much as RUDY,REED is Giving him Props??? :rolleyes:

Not...

Winning a Crusierweight Title PROVES That Virgil Hill WAS NOT "Shot",as Many MISTAKENLY Say he Was,when he Fought Roy Jones...It Doesn't Make Crusier a GREAT Division,& U've NEVER Heard REED Refer 2 it as Such...

Eric Lucas is Just ANOTHER Example of a Cat,Labeled a BUM(by Fans Who had NEVER Seen Him),Who Went On 2 Win a Title or Post Some Significant Wins,AFTER Being Dominated by Roy Jones...

REED [​IMG]

5. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by neil:

The sanctioning bodies should want a guy who can actually sell some PPVs with his personality, not a boring ass fighter like Harding with zero personailty and no punching power.

Anyhow, Ive never heard of an instance where the champion wrote a fucking letter to the alphabet org. and got them to force the #1 guy into an eliminator.

As it worked out Roy ended up looking like shit vs an awkward boring Harding, because he forced the sanctioning bodies hand. Roy didnt make money on that pathetic PPV. As it was, a Tarver fight wouldve sold more PPVs (simply due to tarvers mouth), and couldve been an easier fight for Roy seeing as Tarver was less experienced and less tested back then and how he has improved since. But I guess Roy didnt want to take the chance of facing the hardest puncher of his career. Times up for Roy, he's gotta fight Tarver now whether he likes it or not.

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: neil ]
    <hr></blockquote>

That's Just It...

Tarver Didn't Really Have ANY "Meaningful Fights" til Harding...It was Expected that Tarver Would Win,but Harding Provided a "Name" 2 Add 2 his Resume...

4 the 1st 6 Rounds,Tarver was Winning or the Fight was Even...Then Harding Got Aggressive,Something he had RARELY Done...

NOBODY Expected This,Least of All FNF,Tarver,Roy Jones,or the IBF...

The POINT Is,the Purpose of the Eliminator WASN'T 2 Get Tarver Beat,But 2 Increase his Marketability,4 an Inevitable PPV Fight w/RJ...

Harding IMMEDIATELY Got his Shot(on PPV),After he Beat Tarver...SAME Thing WOULD have Happened,Had Tarver Done the EXPECTED...

Roy Looked like $hit vs Harding,Cause he was FORCED N 2 Leading...& Even When Roy Did Lead,Harding RARELY Threw Back...

N Terms of Sales & What Not,the Plan Back Fired,But Roy STILL has 1 Less PPV 2 Fight,on his HBO Contract,Thanks 2 Eric Harding...

U're Trying 2 Insinuate that Roy is SOMEHOW Ducking Tarver,When ALL Antonio Had 2 Do was BEAT Harding the 1st Time...

REED DOESN'T Know HOW U Figure that Tarver will B the Hardest Puncher N Roy's Career...Sosa,Del Valle,Telesco & Hall Would ALL Argue w/U,as REED is...

Tarver's Gonna get His...Will Roy Get Some Props from U,After Whipping his A$$,is the Million Dollar Question???...

REED [​IMG]

6. Floom

Floom Member

REED just Explained this 2 HITMAN...

REED that Response,2 Answer the 1st Portion of your Post...

Don't Even Sit Here & Tell REED that U Would Have a Problem w/Roy Facing louise Instead of Tarver...CLEARLY,louise Presents MORE of a Challenge...

REED [​IMG]
    <hr></blockquote>

And you fell for all that crap about PPV? I just find it funny that he is giving Tarver all these obstacles to overcome while he had no problem fighting Glen Kelly and Clinton Woods.

I don't have a problem with Roy fighting Louise, the same way I didn't have a problem with Roy fighting Buster Douglas. Oh I almost forgot, Roy called that fight off.....

7. Floom

Floom Member

The IBF Received a Letter on Roy's BEHALF...Not PERSONALLY WRITTEN by Roy Jones...
    [​IMG]
    <hr></blockquote>

Don't play that symantics game. Bottom line, if Roy did not authorize and agree with the letter-the IBF would of never received it.

8. Floom

Floom Member

Tarver & Harding were the 2 Top IBF Dogs...Beating Harding Would have Gotten Tarver the Title Shot that Harding Ended Up w/,ON PPV...

<hr></blockquote>

Bull,Tarver already was the mandatory #1 at the time. Roy sent a letter to the IBF basically making Tarver fight Harding because supposedly Tarver did not beat anyone to earn the #1 spot.

I wonder why ROY didn't send a letter to the WBA, IBF or WBC stating what did Kelley and Woods do to deserve their #1 ranking?

9. phonetap

phonetap Member

Damn...ya'll haters are all over the irrepressible ones boy REED. The kat is breaking it down and you guys keep hating & hating.

Jones did have Tarver & Harding fight, no question about that. Jones wanted to build up a PPV fight, ideally with Tarver, but Tarver messed things up and got beat. If Tarver ( an amateur champion and considered the best prospect going into the Olymics) beat Harding the first time like he did the second then the Lt Heavyweight division would have had a decent PPV event. Don't blame Roy because Antonio screwed it all up...

10. Floom

Floom Member

NOTE TO BOARD: Outside of hardcore boxing fans- NO ONE KNOWS ANTONIO TARVER!!!!!

How would Tarver-Harding help drive up the PPV #'s in a Tarver-Jones fight when the "casual" boxing fans(the group that really drive PPV)didn't even watch the Tarver-Harding fight?

If Tarver would of beat Harding the first time:

"Are you going to watch Roy's PPV fight?"
    "Who is he fighting?"
    "Antonio Tarver"
    "Who is Antonio Tarver?"
    "DUDE!!! He just beat Eric Harding"
    "Who is Eric Harding?"

Or why didn't this scenario happen:

"Who is he fighting?"
    "Eric Harding."
    "ERIC HARDING!!!! The guy that broke Antonio Tarver's jaw???? Hell yeah I'm watching it!!!"

Thus driving the PPV buy rate to an outstanding 80k.

[​IMG]

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: The Most High ]</p>

11. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

Rocco,Nunn & Michal$HITski???...C'Mon,HITMAN...

Take a Wild Guess Who Roy was SUPPOSED 2 Fight,Instead of David Telesco...Take a Wild Guess Who Roy was SUPPOSED 2 Fight,Instead of Otis Grant...

That Would B Graciano Rocchigianni,on BOTH Counts...We've ALL Heard how Rocco BLEW his Money(Meant 4 Training Expenses)on Partying,Only 2 B a NO SHOW @ a Press Conference...COMPLETELY Unaccounted 4,by ANYONE...

Micheal Nunn has Had 2 Opportunities 2 FORCE a Shot @ Roy,but he LOST 2 Rocco & NEGLECTED 2 Ever Fight Clinton Woods...

He PLAYED Himself...

& REED Won't Even Dignify the MichalSHITski Assertion w/a Response,Other than 2 Say,Look @ his ACTIONs(Opposition & Over Seas Fights)...

REED Criticized Roy 4 NOT Facing Buster Douglas,Because REED STRONGLY Felt that Roy Could WIN that Fight...

As 4 the Disappointment REED Felt During the Jirov Situation,REED Was NOT on this Site @ that Time...So Unless U were REEDing S/O,U WOULDN'T Have Known & Therefore READ,when REED Expressed his Disappointment...

This was PRIOR 2 the Realization that Roy & Bernard were Negotiating the ENTIRE Time...

REED DOESN'T Criticize Roy 4 the Jirov Fight NOW,But U're the 1 that Said REED holds Roy ABOVE Reproach & REED has Provided U w/@ Least 2 Instances of when he DIDN'T...

REED Never Saw Woods Fight til he Fought Roy Jones,But REED Saw Out of Woods,About as Much as RUDY Brings 2 the Table,Minus the Left Hook 2 the BOD...

It DOESN'T Take a Boat Load of Obversation 2 Pick Up on RUDY's Style & Tendencies & REED C's Some of That N Clinton Woods...U're Missing REED's Point...Comparing Woods 2 RUDY DOES NOT Mean Woods WILL Accomplish MUCH,Cause RUDY Hasn't...

REED is Saying that Woods is Capable of Being N Some "Fan Friendly" Fights w/Top Contenders @ 175...& he Just Might Eeeeeek Out a Win or 2...

REED Rides RUDY's A$$ Cause RUDY hasn't Done Much,Now When REED Points Out a Cat Who Can "Accomplish" as Much as RUDY,REED is Giving him Props??? :rolleyes:

Not...

Winning a Crusierweight Title PROVES That Virgil Hill WAS NOT "Shot",as Many MISTAKENLY Say he Was,when he Fought Roy Jones...It Doesn't Make Crusier a GREAT Division,& U've NEVER Heard REED Refer 2 it as Such...

Eric Lucas is Just ANOTHER Example of a Cat,Labeled a BUM(by Fans Who had NEVER Seen Him),Who Went On 2 Win a Title or Post Some Significant Wins,AFTER Being Dominated by Roy Jones...

REED [​IMG]
    <hr></blockquote>

I don't like to take "wild guesses" I will leave that up to you its what you seem to be best at.

Like I said, there is documentation that Jones priced himself out of those fights and it took me all of 3 minutes to find that. I don't bother looking thu any more boxing mags as it is a waste of my time for a guy like Jones. Again, documentation is there yet you refuse to acknowledge it, but of course any other article or tidbit or anything that paintsd jones in a good light- you will be the first to bring it up.

You do hold Jones above reproach, criticizing him for not fighting DOuglas which is NOTHING to criticize Jones over and you know this. Anyone who criticizes Jones for not fighting a Heavyweight is not being fair and if I think this..... i can't imagine what you think. Reproch means to show disapproval or disgust, neither apply to you when you talk of these "2 instances" as one is silly to criticize over (douglas) and the other you justify by saying "jones was negotiating with Hopkins the whole time anyway". Wherever I read it is irrelevant.... i read it from your silly drivel and that is certain.

As for Woods and Ward, I've made my case there. ALL you have is PURE speculation off of ONE fight. Ward, as much as you hate to have to admit it has beaten some top 20 guys in one of boxing's strongest divisions....while woods has not, and to boot he lost to a barely top 20 guy int the weakest div. in boxing (Starie at 168).

Lucas, i dont want to give you the impression that i called him a bum so to speak, but he is not an excellent fighter I would call him a below average fighter. Put him in any other div. besides 147, 168 and 160 and he doesnt even get close to a title.

Hitman

12. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by The Most High:

And you fell for all that crap about PPV? I just find it funny that he is giving Tarver all these obstacles to overcome while he had no problem fighting Glen Kelly and Clinton Woods.

I don't have a problem with Roy fighting Louise, the same way I didn't have a problem with Roy fighting Buster Douglas. Oh I almost forgot, Roy called that fight off.....
    <hr></blockquote>

That's Just It,U're MISSING REED's ENTIRE Point...

Did Roy Fight Kelley or Woods on PPV???...No...Roy & HBO Had a PPV Date 2 Fill,& It Was...An Attempt was Made,@ INCREASING the Marketability of the Fight(Tarver vs Harding)& the Plans BACKFIRED...

The "GUY" Lost...The 1 Who SHOULD Have Won...IF Tarver HAD Beaten Harding,Back Then,He & Roy WOULD Have Fought,the SAME Day Harding & Roy Ended Up Fighting...

As it Was,ALL of the Pre Fight "Pub" that Harding Got,FOCUSED on his Win Over TARVER...Even Griffin was a Foot Note,by Comparison...

The INSINUATION that Roy was "Ducking" Antonio Tarver,DOESN'T Hold Water...Roy BEAT The Guy that BEAT Tarver,on the SAME Day he THOUGHT He'd B FIGHTING Tarver...

Tarver Dropped the Ball...

REED [​IMG]

13. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by The Most High:

Bull,Tarver already was the mandatory #1 at the time. Roy sent a letter to the IBF basically making Tarver fight Harding because supposedly Tarver did not beat anyone to earn the #1 spot.

I wonder why ROY didn't send a letter to the WBA, IBF or WBC stating what did Kelley and Woods do to deserve their #1 ranking?
    <hr></blockquote>

It's Called REEDing COMPREHENSION...It's Right There,Re-REED It...

PPV...Did Roy Fight Woods or Kelley on PPV???...

Didn't Think So...

REED [​IMG]

14. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by The Most High:
    NOTE TO BOARD: Outside of hardcore boxing fans- NO ONE KNOWS ANTONIO TARVER!!!!!

How would Tarver-Harding help drive up the PPV #'s in a Tarver-Jones fight when the "casual" boxing fans(the group that really drive PPV)didn't even watch the Tarver-Harding fight?

If Tarver would of beat Harding the first time:

"Who is he fighting?"
    "Antonio Tarver"
    "Who is Antonio Tarver?"
    "DUDE!!! He just beat Eric Harding"
    "Who is Eric Harding?"

Or why didn't this scenario happen:

"Who is he fighting?"
    "Eric Harding."
    "ERIC HARDING!!!! The guy that broke Antonio Tarver's jaw???? Hell yeah I'm watching it!!!"

Thus driving the PPV buy rate to an outstanding 80k.

[​IMG]

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: The Most High ]
    <hr></blockquote>

Antonio Tarver WAS The "MARQUEE US Olympian",@ the 96 Games...N HINDSIGHT it's Waaaaaaay 2 EASY 2 Look @ Who's Done What,from that Class,& Evaluate Them,N Terms of POPULARITY...

TARVER WAS the Man,During the Olympics..."Casual Fans" DO Watch the Olympics...So it Stands 2 Reason that MORE Than a Few Actually SAW Antonio Tarver,@ 1 Point or Another,& his Name was NOT Foreign 2 Them...

His Name was CERTAINLY MORE "Known" than Harding's,Even N LOSING 2 the Cat...That's Why,During the Build Up of Jones vs Harding,the ANGLE,on Harding's Side,was his Former GANG LIFE & his WIN Over ANTONIO TARVER...

The PPV Plan Back Fired,PERIOD...

Tarver's Record Consisted of NOTHING 2 Warrant a PPV Fight,@ THAT Time...NOTHING 2 "Market" Him w/,Other Than his Olympic Disappointment...

The Harding Fight Was Supposed 2 LEGITIMIZE Tarver,N the Eyes of,"BOXING" Fans...

The Deal is This,w/Out the Support of "BOXING" Fans,a PPV WON'T Sell...We're the 1's that Make it Possible 4 PPV's 2 Exist,MORESO than the "Casual Fan" that MIGHT Watch 2 Boxing PPV's a Year...They Help 2 Set PPV RECORDS, But NOTHING More...

U HAVE 2 "Convince" the BOXING Fans 1st...Tarver HADN'T Done That...The Harding Fight was SUPPOSED 2 Do That...Sure,Roy COULD have Fought Tarver on HBO,But the POINT is,he was TRYING 2 INCREASE the Value of a PPV,that he THOUGHT Would INVOLVE Tarver...

That's ALL REED is Saying...

REED [​IMG]

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: REED ]</p>

15. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hitman:

I don't like to take "wild guesses" I will leave that up to you its what you seem to be best at.

Like I said, there is documentation that Jones priced himself out of those fights and it took me all of 3 minutes to find that. I don't bother looking thu any more boxing mags as it is a waste of my time for a guy like Jones. Again, documentation is there yet you refuse to acknowledge it, but of course any other article or tidbit or anything that paintsd jones in a good light- you will be the first to bring it up.

You do hold Jones above reproach, criticizing him for not fighting DOuglas which is NOTHING to criticize Jones over and you know this. Anyone who criticizes Jones for not fighting a Heavyweight is not being fair and if I think this..... i can't imagine what you think. Reproch means to show disapproval or disgust, neither apply to you when you talk of these "2 instances" as one is silly to criticize over (douglas) and the other you justify by saying "jones was negotiating with Hopkins the whole time anyway". Wherever I read it is irrelevant.... i read it from your silly drivel and that is certain.

As for Woods and Ward, I've made my case there. ALL you have is PURE speculation off of ONE fight. Ward, as much as you hate to have to admit it has beaten some top 20 guys in one of boxing's strongest divisions....while woods has not, and to boot he lost to a barely top 20 guy int the weakest div. in boxing (Starie at 168).

Lucas, i dont want to give you the impression that i called him a bum so to speak, but he is not an excellent fighter I would call him a below average fighter. Put him in any other div. besides 147, 168 and 160 and he doesnt even get close to a title.

Hitman
    <hr></blockquote>

Whatever,Dog...

U Have Documentation & REED has DOCUMENTATION 2 Counter Your Documentation...Don't Get All PISSY on REED NOW...

REED Doesn't Phuck w/"Wild Guesses"...That's 4 SUCKA's...

The Cats U Named ALL Have Been Exposed @ Some Point,4 NOT Wanting 2 Fight Roy as Badly as they Led U 2 Believe...

That's UNDENIABLE...

U Don't UNDERSTAND,REED STILL Holds the Douglas Fight AGAINST Roy...Roy COULD Have Beaten Douglas...Hell,Lou Savareasy KO'ed Buster N a Phucking Round,N Douglas' NEXT Fight AFTER the Jones Negotiations...

U Can't Tell REED that Roy COULDN'T Have Done Similar 2 Savareasy,Only N 7 or 8 More Rounds...

REED SERIOUSLY Holds That AGAINST Roy Jones,Whether U or ANYBODY Else Believes It...

"Showing Disgust" is NOT the ONLY Way 2 Express DISAPPOINTMENT...

If U're Looking 4 REED 2 BASH RJ,Don't Hold your Phucking Breath...If Roy EVER Got REED 2 the Point Where REED was Criticizing Roy,N his Own Head,REED Would Just SAY NOTHING About the Cat,on a Message Board...

REED AIN'T "Fair Weather"...If REED EVER Liked a Fighter,he ALWAYS Will...PERIOD...REED Would Rather NOT Say a Word than 2 Join N on a "BashFest" of a Fighter he Liked,Even if It IS Deserved...

If Roy Ever Got REED 2 that Point,REED Would Criticize,2 a Degree,But NOT Bash...

REED is NOT "Speculating" on Clinton Woods...REED just SAW,w/his Own Eyes,Clinton Woods Fight THE BEST 175 LB'der N the World...w/OUT QUESTION

THOSE SHould B the BEST of Circumstances 2 View a Fighter Under,4 All U "RESUME" Freaks...WHO ELSE,is Woods Gonna Fight,that's BETTER than RJ???...

NOBODY...

Woods Held Up Well,Under Considering the Opponent,& REED Wouldn't @ ALL B Surprised 2 C Him Make Some NOISE N the Next Few Years...

REED Hasn't Tried 2 Pass Eric Lucas Off as the 2nd Coming,But REED has Stated ALL Along,that Lucas WASN'T a Bum...

REED Saw Lucas & Brannon Fight,Prior 2 EITHER Facing RJ & Came 2 the Conclusion that Lucas WASN'T a "BUM"...

But Let the Media or the "Hatorade Clique" Tell It,he's GARBAGE...

REED [​IMG]

16. neil

neil Guest

REED DOESN'T Know HOW U Figure that Tarver will B the Hardest Puncher N Roy's Career...Sosa,Del Valle,Telesco & Hall Would ALL Argue w/U,as REED is...

Tarver's Gonna get His...Will Roy Get Some Props from U,After Whipping his A$$,is the Million Dollar Question???...

REED [​IMG]
    <hr></blockquote>

Tarver IS the hardest puncher Roy will have faced. Del Valle was never a huge puncher, out of the guys you named I guess that scrub Telesco should be considered the hardest hitter even though he doesnt have the delivery or skills to actually ever land a decent shot on the likes of Jones while Tarver possibly does. Hall has never knocked ANYone with a pulse out, he beat on gannon round and after round and tarver just KOd the guy early.

I'll definitely give Roy props if he FIGHTS Tarver, let alone beats him. Tarver will be BY FAR the most dangerous guy roy has fought since who knows when.

Personally Ive been saying that Tarver is roys toughest fight out there, much tougher than Jirov, Hopkins, Michalczewski, Calzaghe or whoever else has been mentioned.

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: neil ]</p>

17. Floom

Floom Member

Antonio Tarver WAS The "MARQUEE US Olympian",@ the 96 Games...

TARVER WAS the Man,During the Olympics..."Casual Fans" DO Watch the Olympics...So it Stands 2 Reason that MORE Than a Few Actually SAW Antonio Tarver,@ 1 Point or Another,& his Name was NOT Foreign 2 Them...

His Name was CERTAINLY MORE "Known" than Harding's,Even N LOSING 2 the Cat...
    The PPV Plan Back Fired,PERIOD...
    <hr></blockquote>

If this was the case, then why did Tarver have to fight Harding in the first place?

David Reid got a shot at the title way early in his career based hugely on his olympic performance.

18. Floom

Floom Member

DON'T YOU REALIZE THAT JONES TALKED FROM BOTH SIDES OF HIS MOUTH IN THE SAME BREATH AFTER HE FOUGHT WOODS.

He said that why should he pursue "big" fights when he can just fight his mandatories and get a 75%, 25% split by law. And then mentions he'll fight Tarver (his next mandatory) ONLY IF the fight with Ruiz falls through.

If you don't see the hypocracy in that, your a hopless nuthugger.

19. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

Whatever,Dog...

U Have Documentation & REED has DOCUMENTATION 2 Counter Your Documentation...Don't Get All PISSY on REED NOW...

REED Doesn't Phuck w/"Wild Guesses"...That's 4 SUCKA's...

The Cats U Named ALL Have Been Exposed @ Some Point,4 NOT Wanting 2 Fight Roy as Badly as they Led U 2 Believe...

That's UNDENIABLE...

U Don't UNDERSTAND,REED STILL Holds the Douglas Fight AGAINST Roy...Roy COULD Have Beaten Douglas...Hell,Lou Savareasy KO'ed Buster N a Phucking Round,N Douglas' NEXT Fight AFTER the Jones Negotiations...

U Can't Tell REED that Roy COULDN'T Have Done Similar 2 Savareasy,Only N 7 or 8 More Rounds...

REED SERIOUSLY Holds That AGAINST Roy Jones,Whether U or ANYBODY Else Believes It...

"Showing Disgust" is NOT the ONLY Way 2 Express DISAPPOINTMENT...

If U're Looking 4 REED 2 BASH RJ,Don't Hold your Phucking Breath...If Roy EVER Got REED 2 the Point Where REED was Criticizing Roy,N his Own Head,REED Would Just SAY NOTHING About the Cat,on a Message Board...

REED AIN'T "Fair Weather"...If REED EVER Liked a Fighter,he ALWAYS Will...PERIOD...REED Would Rather NOT Say a Word than 2 Join N on a "BashFest" of a Fighter he Liked,Even if It IS Deserved...

If Roy Ever Got REED 2 that Point,REED Would Criticize,2 a Degree,But NOT Bash...

REED is NOT "Speculating" on Clinton Woods...REED just SAW,w/his Own Eyes,Clinton Woods Fight THE BEST 175 LB'der N the World...w/OUT QUESTION

THOSE SHould B the BEST of Circumstances 2 View a Fighter Under,4 All U "RESUME" Freaks...WHO ELSE,is Woods Gonna Fight,that's BETTER than RJ???...

NOBODY...

Woods Held Up Well,Under Considering the Opponent,& REED Wouldn't @ ALL B Surprised 2 C Him Make Some NOISE N the Next Few Years...

REED Hasn't Tried 2 Pass Eric Lucas Off as the 2nd Coming,But REED has Stated ALL Along,that Lucas WASN'T a Bum...

REED Saw Lucas & Brannon Fight,Prior 2 EITHER Facing RJ & Came 2 the Conclusion that Lucas WASN'T a "BUM"...

But Let the Media or the "Hatorade Clique" Tell It,he's GARBAGE...

REED [​IMG]
    <hr></blockquote>

It's very deniable.... that's the whole point.

Re: a Douglas fight..... tough to say for me, Savarese is a big heavyweight (230's i think) and he hits much harder than Jones IMO. Jones against legit heavyweights is a topic i don't like to get into as much- IMO he can't beat a legit heavyweight. Was Buster legit enough? He had an excellent jab still if nothing else.... i have to pass on that- too tough for me. But i will say that just b/c savarese KO;d him in one is not indication that Jones would be able to KO Buster- Jones is nothing like Savarese in terms of size and strength which is how lou won.

Either way, you need not bash Jones and i never said you should..... but the only times you criticize him (2 times) it is hardly profound criticism when we are talking about a former middlweight.... probably a natural 168 pound fighter to go up and fight a heavyweight. And as for Jirov you have a built in excuse/rationalization for your "disappointment."

So again, Joens is beyond reproach (to show disapproval or disgust) in your eyes....unless he backs out of a heavyweight fight.

I agree Wild Guesses are for suckers.... LOL.

And if you think the best circumstances to assess a fighter's ability is against a guy that outclasses him by a mile and is light years faster then shit i don't know what to say. Still the book is out on woods..... he hasn't managed to beat a top 20 guy yet, and he wasn't able to beat a top 20 supermiddleweight (LOL), those are the facts.

I'll leave off on Lucas, i think we agree he is not a bum. I just have Lucas on a lower level than you do- and i guess there isn't much we can say about that.

Hitman

20. neil

neil Guest

Boxingtalk is reporting that the Jones Ruiz is a done deal. I'll believe it when I see it, BUT if he does fight Ruiz that goes to show me that Roy is cashing out.

Rather than face the first worthy lightheavyweight challenger in years, who can actually punch (the hardest puncher roy would have faced in his career), roy is going up to fight a mediocre heavyweight get KOd and retire.