"My Team"

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

It's becoming a rarity in today's Boxing game that a fighter actually seems he wants to fight somebody, whenever they are asked what's next they always say I have to sit down with my team. It has become the default response. If they are not going to sit down with their team they are going to take some time off as if they don't get enough of that already. As soon as I hear that it gives me the impression of a fighter devoid of ambition or one who is being effectively muzzled or held back to his own detriment by a promoter or management team whose only goal is to feather their own nest at the expense of the fighter himself and the fans who support the sport.

It also has changed the way the media covers the sport and how fans view it. A few months back a young fighter by the name of Dusty Harrison who at the time was 21-0 I think was decked in a fight that he eventually won and a few days after the fight Friday Night Fights Facebook page ran a poll asking because he got decked how far in the sport will he go and the majority of those who answered said that he would never rise to championship level. He may or may not but that isn't the point, the point is, is that we as fans have become so accustomed to the easy path and the tread softly softly approach of fighters and management that one knockdown is cause to write off a fighter at the age of 20.

It's one of the main reason Boxing has become an old fighters sport, a good young championship fighter is the exception to the longstanding rule that Boxing is a young man's sport. two young fighters fighting each other in a fight that captures not only the Boxing world's attention but the attention of the world as a whole has gone the way of the passenger pigeon. If a Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao fight ever comes to fruition they will enter the ring with a combined age of over 70, the combined age for example of Ray Leonard and Tommy Hearns when they fought was less than 45. The proof as they say is in the pudding, if you look back on the great fights through the years, throughout the history of the sport, with very few exceptions the great fights that are written about and long remembered were between young fighters, today a fight is deemed successful or great or even good not by what occurs in the ring but by how many people buy it on PPV. The tail should never be allowed to wag the dog.

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

I used to argue with tons of Rican fans at another site about losses on fighters records. As soon as a rican lost, they always wrote him off. I always argued that losses were no big deal and I rather see a guy who lost 3-4 fights learn from them and fight his way back to title contention. Losses will happen, that's why you only have 3-4 "all-time" fighters retire undefeated.

About calling out another fighter, I don't know why it's always stuck with me but I remember "Too Sharp", after a victory, getting on the mic saying, "I want Johnny Tapia, I want Johnny Tapia".

Good luck with that now...."I'll have to sit down with my team.....blah blah blah".

3. dazbag

dazbag Manos Daz Piedra

Blame the combined likes of HBO, Showtime, etc. & fighter management. None of them want to risk their meal-ticket so the easiest option is too-often the road taken. Any boxer taking more than 2 fights a year these days could be considered a physical marvel by the blinkered masses, & that's plain fucking sad.

Duran fought 6 times in 12 months at age 45 for Lemmy's sake. Can't even get 20-yo's to do that nowadays...

4. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Indeed. Just look at this mess of a card that Golden Boy is putting on featuring Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson and also Daniel Jacobs. Golden Boy talking about "we are thrilled to be able to bring you such a stacked card" Get the fuck out of here with that shit. The only thing stacked about that card is that on paper the odds are stacked in the favor of Garcia, Peterson and Jacobs winning easily. Apparently Garcia was given the option of fighting Salka 19-3(3 KO's) or Gabriel Barcero 23-1 (4 KO's). Between the two of them they couldn't paperbag there way out of a fight.

5. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

I don't know if it was Matos or Tip that once said about chavez and his supposed cab driver opponents and I'm paraphrasing, "Chavez fought once a month to keep sharp and to hone his skills."

I'll take that from a current champion anytime.

6. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

I did. Do something often enough and it becomes second nature.

7. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

That card is so wack it's ridiculous. I guarantee you that was the "advisor's" doing too. Golden Boy's matchmaker Eric Gomez has put together some great fights for them consistently he's not afraid to test his guys. But as you said, every fighter has a "team" now, they don't speak for themselves or have any pride.