Mosley-Forrest II Updates and discussion

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Valdosta, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Jon Merrick

Jon Merrick Guest

This Should have Been Expected.

With Them You're gonna Have both Guys being Careful while Trying to Land Money Shots....the Key Word is Careful....thus the Holding!!

2. Jon Merrick

Jon Merrick Guest

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Xplosive:

Sorry dawg, but the facts are plain. Shane's ENTIRE reputation was built on a narrow win over the Golden Girl, on a night Oscar fought the wrong fight. Other than that, he's done nothing but beat bums. When he finally faced a tall rangy guy who actually BOXED him, and took away his speed, he lost twice. He's no Sugar. Leonard would have boxed circles around Forrest, and DLH, and Robinsion would have murdered them.

So once again I say.... Shane Mosley = Flash in the pan.
    <hr></blockquote>

Flash in the Pan only if You Mentioned Him along those Legends!!

I'm No Fan...but I see a Top 10-15 Guy in Mosely.

I think He was Most Effective at Lightweight where His Power was Awesome!

I agree with Your Flash in the Pan Statement if You Say His Best Days are Behind Him because He'll never Defeat a Name Fighter again(Mostly Because all of them are at Higher Weights now), but He was a Dangerous Lightweight and a Top Notch Welter.

I Don't Think He's Shot though!

3. zboxz

zboxz Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BULLYSON:

how can you say this dude???

forrest committede to his plan... keep the fight on the outside... snap the jab... counter with the left... and let him him fear the right by asserting it here and there...

the only thing mosely did different was that he got his right a little more refined... and watched stevie johnston tapes and learned better foot work...

the inside work was pretty much minimal... shane didn't really bully vernon... vernon didn't really bully shane... and the outside work was by far vernon...

vernon was the champ... shane was the challenger... shane had to take the fight to forrest...

but... i still like shane and give him full credit for taking the rematch....
    <hr></blockquote>

How can you make a case for either man?

Forrest is the champ. He has the size, the bigger right hand and 2 wins over a guy that he would rarely take a forward step towards.

Did he look like a world-beater to you tonight?

Mosley was the former undisputed champ but never threw a punch. He certainly threw no combinations. Backed up and around all night.

Did he look like any top P4P fighter to you?

I would have called this fight a draw?.

4. BULLYSON

BULLYSON Member

i don't think mosely's a flash in the pan...

hell... he locked horns with the closest version (style & technique wise) of thomas hearns... since... thomas hearns... lol

forrest is smart (very smart)... instinctive... and has all the basic raw physical components of a real solid boxer... throw in the fact that they had a past... forrest whipped mosely half a year prior... and most importantly IMO vernon's a real big welterweight...

you get the end result...

ps. shane should stay at welterweight... i don't want the kid goin stupid....

5. Jon Merrick

Jon Merrick Guest

i don't think mosely's a flash in the pan...

hell... he locked horns with the closest version (style & technique wise) of thomas hearns... since... thomas hearns... lol

forrest is smart (very smart)... instinctive... and has all the basic raw physical components of a real solid boxer... throw in the fact that they had a past... forrest whipped mosely half a year prior... and most importantly IMO vernon's a real big welterweight...

you get the end result...

ps. shane should stay at welterweight... i don't want the kid goin stupid....
    <hr></blockquote>

It Makes Sense for Mosely to Stay at Welter, but it Makes Alot More Dollars and Cents for Him to Move Up.

I Think from a Good Matchups Point of View, it would Please Me to see Him Stay because I think His Power(Which is Not what it was at Lightweight)will become Even Less Effective if He Moves Up, but at 147 I'd Pick Him over Mayorga and He can Wait about a Year or So For Zab to Move Up!

6. el patron

el patron Member

Why does anybody want to see Mayorga who is a complete bum toughman type fighter against either Mosley or Forrest? Instead, how about Forrest-Margarito or Mosley-Margarito. Sure, Margarito probably doesn't have a chance against either of them, but atleast he's a lot better than Mayorga. Mayorga is a complete BUM, why any of you guys would want to see him in against Forrest or Mosley is beyond me.

7. BULLYSON

BULLYSON Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by zboxz:

How can you make a case for either man?

Forrest is the champ. He has the size, the bigger right hand and 2 wins over a guy that he would rarely take a forward step towards.

Did he look like a world-beater to you tonight?

Mosley was the former undisputed champ but never threw a punch. He certainly threw no combinations. Backed up and around all night.

Did he look like any top P4P fighter to you?

I would have called this fight a draw?.
    <hr></blockquote>

you gotta be kidding me...

when vernon wasn't snapping a jab and mounting an offense....

he was either countering with mostly a left or holding.... taking the fight back to the outside...

forrest dictated the pace and the style of the fight by far...

like i said... mosely was on his high horse... he had some good foot work in there... and had the odd "shiny" right hand land... but verno either countered with something just as good, outworked him the rest of the round, and/or nulafied shane and his strengths...

8. zboxz

zboxz Member

Sorry dawg, but the facts are plain. Shane's ENTIRE reputation was built on a narrow win over the Golden Girl, on a night Oscar fought the wrong fight. Other than that, he's done nothing but beat bums. When he finally faced a tall rangy guy who actually BOXED him, and took away his speed, he lost twice. He's no Sugar. Leonard would have boxed circles around Forrest, and DLH, and Robinsion would have murdered them.

So once again I say.... Shane Mosley = Flash in the pan.
    <hr></blockquote>

I consider myself a fairly solid Mosley fan but damn how can I fight this?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You are right on the money X???

9. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

OK I think my work is done for now. The actual combat is over. God what a rush. .

10. BULLYSON

BULLYSON Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by el patron:
    Why does anybody want to see Mayorga who is a complete bum toughman type fighter against either Mosley or Forrest? Instead, how about Forrest-Margarito or Mosley-Margarito. Sure, Margarito probably doesn't have a chance against either of them, but atleast he's a lot better than Mayorga. Mayorga is a complete BUM, why any of you guys would want to see him in against Forrest or Mosley is beyond me.<hr></blockquote>

why does anyone want see mayorga???

dude give your head a shake...

he has a "go-for-broke-power-swinging" style... that has proved somewhat successful up to this point...

need i say more???

11. Jon Merrick

Jon Merrick Guest

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by el patron:
    Why does anybody want to see Mayorga who is a complete bum toughman type fighter against either Mosley or Forrest? Instead, how about Forrest-Margarito or Mosley-Margarito. Sure, Margarito probably doesn't have a chance against either of them, but atleast he's a lot better than Mayorga. Mayorga is a complete BUM, why any of you guys would want to see him in against Forrest or Mosley is beyond me.<hr></blockquote>

I like Mayorga because He's a Cocky yet Funny S.O.B.

And now that You Mentioned it....I'd Like to See Mayorga-Margarito.

Mayorga's Cockiness reminds Me of a Young Roberto Duran.....to Bad He Doesn't Fight like Him!

But I just Like Seeing Mayorga Fight more than I like Seeing Margarito Fight.

But Either Man Deserves a Shot at Forrest.

12. Abate

Abate Guest

I had it 116-113 in favor of Forrest. 7 rounds for Forrest, 4 for Mosley, 1 round even. It was ugly but some times the sweet science can get that way. Considering all the out of the ring intangibles that surrounded this fight, I was pretty entertained. Wondering if this is going to be the end of the road for Shane or if Vernon was a one hit wonder gave the fight a sense of drama for me. Plus there was a good knockout in the co-feature so all in all I'm pretty satisfied with tonights card. As for Mosley moving up to 154? It's not a good move in terms of how well he will do but it's a very good move to get one last big payday. I mean why risk fighting Mayorga or any other top ten welterweight for a 750,000-1,000,000 dollars and risk losing when he can move up and fight the winner of DLH-Vargas for 4-5 times that amount. Win or lose he is definitely set for life (he probably already is now but one last big payday is icing on the cake). As for Forrest moving up to 154, I think it is a great move for him. Obviously he has the frame to put on the extra seven pounds very well as opposed to Shane and skill wise he can compete with the best JMW has to offer (DLH-Vargas). It will get interesting after DLH-Vargas. You got Winky crying for his much deserved shot. You got Forrest and Mosley moving up in weight both wanting a fight with the winner of DLH-Vargas. Finally, you have Hopkins who you know wants the winner of that fight for an easy payday. If DLH wins will he fight Forrest or Mosley. Will he still want revenge over Mosley? Or will he take on Forrest in an attempt to beat Mosley's two time conqueror and try to kill two birds with one stone with the media and fans? Will he sack up and fight the bigger man in Hopkins or risk losing to a virtually unknown but very skilled fighter in Wright? If Vargas wins I can see him fighting everybody mentioned but Hop, his people won't let that mismatch happen.

Kid CT

13. Jon Merrick

Jon Merrick Guest

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kid Connecticut:
    I had it 116-113 in favor of Forrest. 7 rounds for Forrest, 4 for Mosley, 1 round even. It was ugly but some times the sweet science can get that way. Considering all the out of the ring intangibles that surrounded this fight, I was pretty entertained. Wondering if this is going to be the end of the road for Shane or if Vernon was a one hit wonder gave the fight a sense of drama for me. Plus there was a good knockout in the co-feature so all in all I'm pretty satisfied with tonights card. As for Mosley moving up to 154? It's not a good move in terms of how well he will do but it's a very good move to get one last big payday. I mean why risk fighting Mayorga or any other top ten welterweight for a 750,000-1,000,000 dollars and risk losing when he can move up and fight the winner of DLH-Vargas for 4-5 times that amount. Win or lose he is definitely set for life (he probably already is now but one last big payday is icing on the cake). As for Forrest moving up to 154, I think it is a great move for him. Obviously he has the frame to put on the extra seven pounds very well as opposed to Shane and skill wise he can compete with the best JMW has to offer (DLH-Vargas). It will get interesting after DLH-Vargas. You got Winky crying for his much deserved shot. You got Forrest and Mosley moving up in weight both wanting a fight with the winner of DLH-Vargas. Finally, you have Hopkins who you know wants the winner of that fight for an easy payday. If DLH wins will he fight Forrest or Mosley. Will he still want revenge over Mosley? Or will he take on Forrest in an attempt to beat Mosley's two time conqueror and try to kill two birds with one stone with the media and fans? Will he sack up and fight the bigger man in Hopkins or risk losing to a virtually unknown but very skilled fighter in Wright? If Vargas wins I can see him fighting everybody mentioned but Hop, his people won't let that mismatch happen.

Kid CT
    <hr></blockquote>

The Only Guy Oscar Would Fight out of All the Fighters You Mentioned.....is Mosely!

14. BULLYSON

BULLYSON Member

hey kid c...

i agree with ya...

all in all... i thought it was quite intriuging... despite how lampley, merchant, and foreman tried to pump up mosely... then come back down to reality in the last like 2-3 rounds...

either fighter could've broke out... osely or forrest...

and tarver gave us something to talk about...

i thought it was descente also...

15. zboxz

zboxz Member

Oscar does not have to fight Mosley now.

Mosley has totally discredited himself by the 2 losses.

Oscar will get paid big money to fight 4 or 5 guys out there right now. Oscar IS the payday not the others.

16. BULLYSON

BULLYSON Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by zboxz:
    Oscar does not have to fight Mosley now.

Mosley has totally discredited himself by the 2 losses.

Oscar will get paid big money to fight 4 or 5 guys out there right now. Oscar IS the payday not the others.
    <hr></blockquote>

next to his fight with vargas...

who out there is a challenge for dlh???

there's wright, forrest, and hopkins???

wright's a low pay day...

if he losses to forrest you could kiss some of his welterweight days good bye...

if he fights hopkins he puts his health at risk...

oscar has painted himself into a corner...

what he should do... if he beats vargas... either retire or drop back down to welterweight for like 1 or 2 more fights...

17. el patron

el patron Member

why does anyone want see mayorga???

dude give your head a shake...

he has a "go-for-broke-power-swinging" style... that has proved somewhat successful up to this point...

need i say more???
    <hr></blockquote>

his "go for broke style" looks like a toughman thing. he's a BUM. it proved succesful because six heads lewis just a big of a bum as him, if not bigger. his style is not entertaining, it's embarrasing.

18. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

I know this may seem harsh, but....

Shane Mosley = Flash in the pan

I NEVER wanna hear his ass mentioned along side Robinsion, and Leonard again!

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: Xplosive ]
    <hr></blockquote> I agree Mr Xplosive. Mosley beat Oscar. It makes sense. The flash in the pan theory is right on.

19. Remus

Remus Member

Man, I'm surprised at the criticism of SSM. :confused:

Styles make fights and Vernon just has Shane's number by the looks of things. His height and right hand is just too awesome for SSM to overcome. Come on guys, sometimes a certain fighter just has the other guy by the balls and will always win a bout between them, that doesn't mean the guy that has been beaten is shithouse.

I'm interested at what is in store for SSM in the future and how he comes back from these losses. I think he is still an excellent fighter and may end up being a bigger and better fighter than Vernon in the long run depending on the matchups.

I really like Vernon aswell, what's in store for him I wonder ?

BTW: I had Vernon up by a couple of points in a really boring fight. SSM paid for his constant running and holding. It looked ugly and at the end of the day Shane was the one that made it so.

117-111 ? I can't see how that score is reasonable. :confused:

20. BULLYSON

BULLYSON Member

lewis beat page... convincingly...

mayorga beat lewis... convincingly...

you want entertainment... you want exciting matches... then you want mayorga...

and dare i say he's a contender in the welterweight division...

mayorga vs dammgarrd equals at least possible match/round of the year nominations...

i don;t give a fuck if my fighters are kissing babies... or pulling drive by's... get in there and do your thing...