MMA Twice As Popular As Boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Oct 20, 2010.

1. TFK

TFK Clutch

Tried it, nothing there.

TFK

2. Joe King

Joe King Member

Try harder

3. Boxingfanatics.com

Boxingfanatics.com Administrator Staff Member

I just found this online. However, I can't confirm the accuracy of these figures.

MMA PAYOUT:

* Jeff Monson: $25,000 (including $10,000 win bonus) def. Roy Nelson: $30,000
    * Bobby Lashley: $40,000 (including $10,000 win bonus) def. Jason Guida: $15,000
    * Din Thomas: $10,000 (no win bonus) def. Gabe Lemley: $5,500
    * Dennis Hallman: $6,000 (including $3,000 win bonus) def. Danny Ruiz: $2,000
    * James Freeman: $600 (including $300 win bonus) def. John Mowry: $300

BOXING PAYOUT:

* Roy Jones Jr.: TBD (two-thirds of the event’s net profits) def. Omar Sheika: $50,000
    * B.J. Flores: $12,500 def. Jose Luis Herrera: $12,500
    * Eric Clinton: $800 def. Richmond Dalphone: $800
    * Kieyon Bussey: $1,200 def. Robert DaLuz: $1,800
    * Kelvin Price: $1,500 def. Kevin Howard: $1,500

4. TFK

TFK Clutch

That was Roy Jones's combo Boxing\MMA card. Any idea what kind of PPV numbers it did?

TFK

5. Boxingfanatics.com

Boxingfanatics.com Administrator Staff Member

I didn't even notice. I just saw that posted on some MMA site.

Good question. Isn't it funny how MMA payouts are all over the place but boxing payouts seem to be top secret?

From what I gather, all things equal, undercard fighters are paid similarly in both sports. Of course, if a fighter has made somewhat of a name for himself, he will earn a bit more than the average fighter.

Main event fighters are a whole different story altogether. The bigger the name in boxing, the bigger the payday, and usually these figures blow away a comparable MMA event with a fighter of similar status (in his respective sport).

6. TFK

TFK Clutch

So that pretty much ends the 'UFC Fighters are underpaid' debate, since the pay descrepancy between the overwhelming majority of boxers and UFC fighters just isn't that great. Of course, there are a select handful of boxers who make way above the norm, but those are the exception and not the rule.

TFK

7. Rebel

Rebel Admin

But Val's point is that the disparity in pay for the top stars is so huge it makes the UFC look like crooks. To a degree, I believe it does.

For example, let's analyze a UFC/MMA event which racks up a million buys. Normally you have the UFC headliner "star" getting paid 100K - 400K, whereas in boxing, the headliner "star" could earn between 1-20 million, depending on the star. Looking at things from that angle, the UFC clearly hoards its money where it counts the most.

Heck, James Toney (a washed up boxer) was paid 500K while Randy Couture earned 250K that same night. To put that in perspective, Lesnar (one of the UFC's top draw) only earned 400K against Velasquez.

An out of shape, washed up boxer trying out MMA for the first time was paid more than most established MMA stars! :slap:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  8. Joe King

Joe King Member

THAT is exactly the argument here. and the #s are made very public.

9. TFK

TFK Clutch

Do you really believe that's all Couture and Lesnar were paid?

TFK

10. Joe King

Joe King Member

Link? What are they trying to hide?

11. TFK

TFK Clutch

Gotta wait for the PPV numbers to be tallied before getting an accurate number.

TFK

12. TFK

TFK Clutch

I will say this....for as much as I love the whole 'discretionary bonus' idea, and the fact that these fighters are being paid much more than what is reported, I just hope that Zuffa has a team of lawyers and accountants going over everything with a fine tooth comb. I'd hate to see the company get taken down because of some Tax slip up. If they are only reporting to the IRS that they paid Fighter A 'X' amount of dollars, when in reality he made much more, that will lead to big trouble down the road, sooner rather than later.

TFK

13. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

From what I understand that's what they do. They pay them a certain amount which they are required to report to the state athletic commission (don't ask me why) but reportedly they pay their top stars like Lesnar and Couture a % of the PPV buys and even other bonuses. I would think these extra bonuses that are paid out are just not required to be made public but are reported to the IRS. If not they would be in deep shit already.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  14. TFK

TFK Clutch

It's not just the top guys that get bonuses. All, or at the very least, most of the fighters do. Obviously, some get more than others, but if you're fighting on a UFC card, you're getting a bonus in addition to your pay. For an example, just look at Vinicius Quieroz, who was just released from the UFC. He lost his fight, which was on the untelevised undercard of UFC 120, but still received a bonus. He had to forfeit the bonus because he failed his post fight drug test.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21245/vin...ive-for-stanozolol-following-ufc-120-loss.mma

So when people make assumptions about what UFC fighters are making based on what they read, they're not getting all of the facts.

TFK

15. Joe King

Joe King Member

Then why go public with #s if they are not complete #s? It doesn't make sense.

16. Joe King

Joe King Member

17. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

damn i am sorry i stepped away from this thread.... blew up on me

joe king, if you ever wanted to do that website i would be interested in helping anyway that i could. we could also try doing it for mma too. i could also give you my numbers that i have compiled regarding PPV sales for boxing and MMA events and put it all together.

18. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

For what it is worth, Brandon Rios was paid $105,000 for his appearance on the Pacquaio-Margarito undercard.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  19. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Considering the garbage that he fought that was pretty good.

20. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Thats why I called it an appearance.