MMA Twice As Popular As Boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

As I said, yawn, the numbers are already there. No serious sports organization pays it's emplyees 10-15% of profits. That's the real cop out, the answer of "Oh the UFC is run differently". Yeah it's run differently alright, LOL.

2. TFK

TFK Clutch

I don't get it. You seem to think you have an argument, but yet can't even do something as simple as state how much you think they should be paid. I mean, it's clear you don't understand the differences between how the UFC is run and how other sports are run, so I'll let that go, but for you to keep repeating that they need to be paid 'more', but are afraid to say exactly how much 'more' is, well that's just embarrassing.

TFK

3. Valdosta

Actually you thinking it's OK to run a bussiness like a monopoly and pretend they are doing something else is embarrassing. I really can't believe people think that way.

4. TFK

TFK Clutch

Now you're saying the UFC is a monopoly? Whatever.

Oh...just a message to the people that run this site. This site could really use some improvements. I'm not gonna say what those improvements are though, because who needs specifics when presenting an argument?

TFK

5. Valdosta

I already mentioned specifics whether you ignored them or not. The UFC is quite clearly run as a monopoly. Are you saying they have "serious" competition? They quite clearly don't. Comparing other organizations to the UFC is like comparing a mom and pop shop to Walmart. THAT is why they get away with underpaying so many athletes.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  6. TFK

TFK Clutch

Mom and Pop shops don't air live events on CBS. Including the UFC, there are 3 MMA groups that have national TV deals, the others being Strike Force and Bellator. There are other groups that air MMA on PPV. There are still others like KOTC and MFC that are televised on HDNet. While the UFC may clearly be the most succesful, they obviously aren't a monopoly, and in reality need other MMA organizations to exist. So that ridiculous argument is dead in the water.

And until you can tell me what UFC fighters should be paid, don't bother telling me they're underpaid.

TFK

7. Valdosta

You won't tell me what I can and can't say, I quite clearly said they underpaid by a big percentage. Period. I am not going to waste my time going on a fighter by fighter basis. You aren't worth that much time. As for the other organizations that you just mentioned which 1 of them REALLY competes with the UFC? The answer is none of them. They are the equivalent of mom and pop shops. You do understand what a monopoly is right?

8. TFK

TFK Clutch

Yes, I understand what a monopoly is, and what a Mom and Pop Shop is. If you want to talk Mom and Pop as far as MMA, take a look at Ring of Combat. They run several shows a year out of Atlantic City, have no television deal, aren't on PPV, most fans haven't even heard of them, yet they are a succesful company who turns a profit and who is a breeding ground for fighters who eventually move up to the 'big leagues'.

If the UFC were truly a monopoly, Strike Force would not be on Showtime, much less CBS. Bellator would not be on Fox Sports. It's that simple. Is the UFC bigger and more succesful? Clearly, and by a large margin. But are they a monopoly? Of course they aren't. If anyone is having problems understanding what a monopoly is, it's obviously you.

Now as far as telling you what you can say and not say, I'll tell you what you are saying, and that's nothing. To cry that UFC fighters are underpaid, but to be too afraid to say what they should be paid while offering every excuse in the book is just pathetic. And while you think you may be saying something, truth be told, you're not saying a damn thing.

TFK

9. Valdosta

I am saying the truth which is something you don't seem to know about. The UFC has no direct competition. None. All of those little organizations just try to turn a small profit and survive, that is NOT competition to the UFC. LOL. That is why they get away with there BS pay. Let's just end this here though. The truth is when it comes to things you like you don't know how to be objective. The NFL thread after the first week and talking shit about the Jets is a good example. I was seriously embarrassed for you in that thread. I don't mind now though because it illustrates my point very well. You don't know how to be objective at all. I am done wasting my time with you now.

10. TFK

TFK Clutch

Good. I'm glad you're backing out. I got tired of you making excuses for your inability to answer a simple question.

TFK

11. Valdosta

I got tired of answering the same question over and over while having mine ignored. So yeah, we were in the same boat except I know how to be objective, unlike you. I am not backing out of anything, it's the same argument over and over in circles. There's no point in continuing that. I would make a poll but nobody really would vote for it on the MMA forum anyways.

12. TFK

TFK Clutch

Fixed.

TFK

13. Joe King

Joe King Member

That doesn't change the argument at all, though you surely wish it would to justify the UFC hoarding.

I can tell you some offhand #s but not confirm them. I follow boxing enough to know some general amounts and those amounts have been higher than some of the main event fighters.

14. mikE

mikE Member

The reason your claim is wrong is because a far higher percentage of boxers make more money than ufc guys. Heavyweight boxers make a lot more. Every time someone gets a title shot as a heavy, they are making $300k plus. Sometimes a lot more.

Everytime a champion defends at any weight he is making $70k plus, sometimes a lot more.
    And when they make more, their challengers make $70k, etc.

It's really not close.

Why don't you do the homework to prove us all wrong. I'll gladly admit I'm wrong if you can show it.

15. TFK

TFK Clutch

Come back at me with some confirmed numbers. Like I said, I could be wrong, but until we see what fighters other than the elite few make, you just can't say.

TFK

16. TFK

TFK Clutch

Show me some links. I already said I can't find any links to payouts of all the fighters on major PPV's. If you have them, lets see them.

TFK

17. Joe King

Joe King Member

I should have done the boxing purse website myself. I asked for help but there wasn't much interest. That being said, the UFC has had 125 PPV or so events. I'm certain that we can find 121 boxing events that pay more than what the UFC paid out.

18. Joe King

Joe King Member

Winky Wright has been on 5-6 PPV events as a co headliner for RJJ and he made about 300K each time.

19. Joe King

Joe King Member

I'm guessing the quickest way is to research purse bids. Many of the boxing PPV undercard fights were fights that went to purse bids.

20. TFK

TFK Clutch

And Tito just made minumum $250K for his last fight, and he was the 2nd fight of the broadcast.

TFK