Mikey Garcia vs Robert Easter Jr.

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Another 3 fight Showtime fight card this weekend headlined by the 135 lb unification title fight between WBC champion Mikey Garcia and IBF champion Robert Easter Jr. Both fighters are undefeated with Garcia the more proven commodity and the favorite. On the undercard undefeated Mario Barrios(21-0) takes on Jose Roman at 140 lb and Luis "King Kong" Ortiz coming off his loss to Deontay Wilder in March takes on Razvan Cojanu who lost a title bid to Joseph Parker for the WBO heavyweight title in his last outing in May of last year. The winner would find himself back in the title picture with the loser looking at a long way back. Both fights are 10 rounders.

The undercard will be available to watch on the Showtime YouTube channel starting at 8 pm with the televised portion beginning at 10 pm on Showtime.

Also on Saturday afternoon there is a card in England being broadcast on Sky Sports with former WBO champion Joseph Parker taking on Dillian Whyte, comebacking Kell Brook vs Brandon Cook in a 154 lb title eliminator and IBF and WBA women's lightweight titleholder Katie Taylor facing mandatory challenger Kimberly Connor for Taylor's title's

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

brah, boxing is dead, brah!!!

I'm going to change this websites name to fightfanatics.com, brah!

boxing is dead!

3. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

I'll watch the evening showtime card . Always fun especially to watch Garcia and his great abilities. He should do extremely well at 135, even against a much taller opponent. Should win this one with little problem.

4. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

I think we talked about this before but there is more Boxing available on various platforms than ever before,of which a very, very small percentage is Pay Per View. I also think I told you about Michelle Rosado who is a promoter of small cards and promotes them in Philadelphia and Arizona, she did a card in Tuscon last weekend in a 2,000 seat venue and she sold it out. with a card of 4, 6, and 8 rounders with no TV or streaming. Boxing is available to more people than ever before and more people are watching it than ever before across all platforms including in person.

5. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

exactly. that's why I laugh at people who USED to say boxing is dead.

actually, kinich said that around a week ago.

fightfanatics my ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

remember this commercial?

7. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

You can't deny that boxing hasn't seen better days. Boxing will never die because it has a niche market but it is on the decline. A big part of that is mma. There was a time when being the hw champ made you the baddest man on the planet like in the Tyson days. That is no longer the case that mystique is gone from boxing. People realize in the bigger scheme of things boxing is just one tool and grappling is just as important as boxing in a fight. How do you think Tyson would've done in the octogon? Young people are not stupid they know pure boxers would be ineffective against a well rounded MMA fighter. See James Toney MMA debut..embarrassing.

8. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Is it me or does it seem like Mikey has lost his power at 135? Ever since he moved up he's looked pretty average. I guess some fighters don't carry their power up in weight like Pacman. He look kind of pudgy at this weight. He's never been cut but he looks like a Tijuana cab driver in this fight.

9. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

His power is fine..speed factors into power....just got back from south Philly,,they race cars there on Sat ,not sure if it is legal but no one stops them there...,,lol...went to a bar restaurant and ordered ribs drinks now back to watch general hospital on demand from yesterday ..catch the Phillies from cincinatti and turn to showtime for the fights when it is on..this place is getting too boring and in my final days I want to see the party get started old school as our buddy Witton would have done it.....comprendes? Understand? Capishe? compendres???? (francais)

10. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

This may be a more competitive fight than a lot of people think. Garcia is a 6/1 favorite and that's way too high in my opinion. Easter has some tools, height, reach and a decent right hand.

11. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

What a load of bullchisi.

sanchito likes this.
  12. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

What's bullchisi? Boxing is not in it's glory days. There was a time boxers were household names. Like in the 60s, 70, 80s and 90s. We had superstars with cross over appeal. Now days we got cheaters like the Canelos of boxing's who are the biggest names in the sport.

13. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

Stayed awake long enough to see Roman quit in his corner. One sided as they come. Just gulped down coffee, ready for the next matchup!

14. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

Ortiz looked like he trained well and his hands looked pretty fast for a big guy. He did not let his last loss affect him, and the crowd loved him.. I don't know why Cojanu decided to give away the first rounds before the fight even started but it made the fight very easy. Nice two handed knockout.

15. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

So far on the Showtime card Barrios stopped Roman when Roman's corner pulled the plug after the 8th. Roman had been knocked down twice, in the 3rd and the 8th. The two knockdown's combined with Roman not winning a round made the corner's decision an easy one. In the co-feature Luis Ortiz landed a right hook, straight left combination that separated Razvan Cojanu from his senses in the 3rd round.

16. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

I have an even fight after 5. 47-47. Garcia scored a flash knockdown but Easter won the first two rounds and the fifth.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  17. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Garcia looking like he is going to win this going away. Easter jr. has lost the plot over the last half of the fight.That's not surprising, Easter jr. is one of those manufactured fighters who over populate the sport. He looks great when everything is perfect but once the opponent shows them a wrinkle or two they become ineffective. Once Garcia began to feint and change the distance Easter jr. couldn't adjust because he has only been taught one thing.

116-111, 117-110,118-109 Garcia in a fight that won't be remembered.

18. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

I had it 118-109. Garcia looked like a champ. Easter looked very ordinary, Entertaining fight anyway cause Mikey is fun to watch.

19. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

I had it 116-111.

20. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Again no knock out from Garcia. Like I said his ko power missing again.