Mikey Garcia vs Adrien Broner

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Playboy, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Playboy

Playboy Member

I get excited for fights like these.
    I consider these big names to the boxing hard core and a great match up, stylistically.

I like Garcia to win. To borrow the "gentle downslope" phrase from Matos, I believe that's where Broner is at in his career.
    He never looks dominant like he once did early on in his career and he seems to struggle with pedestrian talent.
    I view Mikey as a legit contender even though I haven't seen him since he suffered that deviated septum from that dirty fighter.

2. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

It'll be worth a watch. Broner has been very careful with his opponents since his loss to Porter and he didn't look all that good in his last couple against pedestrian talent.

3. El Profesor

El Profesor Member

I, for one, am looking forward to this fight. Mikey Garcia was one of my favorite fighters to watch before the hiatus. I hope that he is the one to end Broner's career or at least reduce Broner to fighting at State Fairs, Bars, and/or Convention Centers from now on.

4. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

first broner then Crawford.

viva mikey!!!!

5. Playboy

Playboy Member

Mikey said after the Broner fight he's going back down to 135.

6. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

good....hopefully loma moves up then.

7. Mark G

Mark G Member

:loling:

8. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Haha stick to Broner and 135.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Mikey is going to give Broner a bad beatdown ...

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Garcia TKO6 Broner

11. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Garcia. This has the potential to be a mismatch.

12. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Any new ideas/predictions on today's fight? Floyd will be present backing Broner ... I hope we see Garcia-Crawford after this one ...

13. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Garcia looked good tonight but I'm not sure he carried his power up to jr Welter...he landed some clean shots on Broner didn't even wobble Broner. Mike is a little dude he needs to go down to 135....he looked flabby at 140....and no I don't think he needs to move up to 147 and fight Crawford....he'll be ktfo.

14. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Garcia was definitely not the puncher he was at the lighter weight.

Having said that, Broner is really strong...fucker is like a tank...but then he quickly turned lame once again by saying: “But it was Tom & Jerry; I had to catch the mouse.” Please, bro...you were the one backing up most of the fight, lol...

But Garcia was still impressive nevertheless...

15. Playboy

Playboy Member

Broner is a funny guy. Before the fight he said if he was Mexican he'd be a billionaire by now and how Mikey is getting a push and they don't want Adrien to win. I don't know who "they" is.
    After the fight, not the post - fight interview with Jim Gray but leaving the arena he was interviewed and told, I know the fight didn't go your way and he replied how Mikey ran. How does one run if he puts up a way higher punch output than he averages?
    As far as the fight went, Mikey looks well schooled. I saw a lot of subtle things that he does very well. The first thing that stood out to me was ring geometry, he understands how to cut off the ring, he steps well to either side not following his opponent around like Daniel Cormier against Jon Jones (sorry for the MMA reference but that's exactly what DC did last night). Also Mikey seems adept at keeping his arms in clinch attempts. What I mean is everytime Broner tried to tie him up he yanked his arms back quickly and kept them free to be in position to punch, whereas other fighters might've engaged in a hold and hit affair until the ref broke it up. Garcia shows he's mindful on the inside which reveals he's mature beyond his years in the ring by tucking his elbows in tight and even weaves in closer to nullify any follow up punches.
    It was good to see Garcia show class after all Adrie 's trash talk at the weigh in. He tried to get in Garcia's head but Mikey always kept it professional.

16. Ringside

Ringside El Padrino aka Boxing Fanatics Legend aka The Godf

Fun to watch. Garcia did not have the power to hurt Broner but Broner looked awful on offense although he took a lot of puches well when he was hit in the body hard. Paulie really helped decribe the fight very well as it unfolded when he spoke.

17. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

I see a raw finito lopez in mikey.

true about broner saying it was cat and mouse....problem is he was the mouse.

18. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Did anyone catch the post fight interview and post fight conference?

it was funny to see broner snap when Jim Gray basically told Broner he had just lost a cross roads fight. Jim Gray is good at trolling fighters lmao.

Mike said he knew Broner was strong inside and had a strong hook and uppercut. Mikey threw too many punches that kept Broner away and never allowed Broner to make it a inside fight and use his superior strength. Broner is a sore loser saying Mikey ran....Mikey was pushing the fight.... Broner just doesn't throw enough punched. He tries to fight like Mayweather all unorthodox but doesn't have Mayweather's talent.

19. Playboy

Playboy Member

The thing is there was one round where Mikey was literally chasing him & walking him down with him hands down at his sides and Broner was jumping all over the ring.
    These guys are funny. Same thing in round 6 of Cotto/Mayweather. Floyd sits on his stool to receive instruction and Roger says Cotto wants to run all day.

20. El Profesor

El Profesor Member

Still can't believe that two judges scored this fight as 116-112 :headscratch: