Mayweather-Maidana II

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Was talking to a Flomo the other night guy told me that Floyd was a better fighter than Leonard because at 37 Ray Leonard was a bum.
    I told him that by the time Leonard was 25 he had beaten more great fighters in Benitez, Hearns and Duran that Floyd has beaten in 17 years.
    He tells me that it isn't a fair comparison because things get embellished over time and that we would have to wait 20-30 years before you can talk about Floyd's resume'.
    I reminded him that collectively the three of them had a record of 140-1 with 115 knockouts when they fought Leonard. Then he says who cares about that Floyd made more money.

2. Playboy

Playboy Member

Refs have to warn & deduct for excessive holding.
    That can't be tolerated.
    May fought half a fight. Bayless made things simple for him.
    All he had to do was get off first & either run around like a chicken with its head cut off or hold Maidana tight like they were slow dancing at the Blue Oyster (Police Academy reference there).
    Stop spoon feeding this man. Let him earn it. Two fights left. Make them count.
    I see Maidana storming towards & Floyd will catapult himself off the top of him in order to get away. His retreating is top notch. If he's allowed to use his speed why can't his opponent use his strength by bullying him on the ropes without the ref having to peel him of of him?
    I need to see balance. The ref can't continually cease the action that much. Nobody pays to see the ref write his name all over the event.
    We just saw a handicap match.
    Over officiating is hurting the sport.

3. El Profesor

El Profesor Member

Not one warning (to Floyd for INTENTIONALLY holding) from Bayless. Not one. What a joke.

4. sanchito

sanchito BF Resident Douchebag

I couldn't tell you who the heavyweight champ is right now with certainty...Klitschko?...and that's a problem..I said this 5 years ago and I'll say it again...Mayweather is killing boxing or he already has..I used to scour Boxing Illustrated and Ring Magazine and read blurbs about foreign fighters like Yuri Arbachakov, Samson 3k Battery, Kosta Tszu (who wasn't televised much here in the States in the mid 90's), etc as well as watch USA Tuesday night fights and Fight Night at the Forum to perhaps catch the next big thing...my imagination would run wild with mythical match ups as well as fights I wanted to see and hope would get made...right now?...I couldn't tell you who I would want to see fight each other...I have no clue...and that's a problem...Olympic boxing used to produce American Superstars but that hasn't panned out in years...Mayweather may be the last of those...talk about going out with a whimper...had Mayweather been an entertaining fighter his schtick could have been great but he just doesn't back it up in the ring and the general public collectively yawns...the trouble is that Mayweather fanboys talk him up and he never delivers thereby turning off the casual fan forever.

5. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

If he's TBE, then I've wasted my whole life watching boxing.

6. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

showtime has guys like paulie malignaggi and hbo has guys like Kellerman, young guys that can talk up incredible fighters like Chocolatito Gonzalez that the world needs to see. if promoted right, the smaller divisions could revive boxing because that's where the best fighters are.

7. sanchito

Agreed...but that just doesn't happen...historically American fighters get the hype and lately most have been underwhelming...I'd say the last fun American fighter was ODLH.

8. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

I said years ago in this board and the board I posted on before this that when Roy Jones avoided fighting Dariusz Michalzweski that it would start Boxing down a very slippery slope and all the fanboys some who still post here would say he don't have to and why should he and on and on.

It was the first time in the history of the sport that a fighter refused to meet his challenge and it changed the landscape of the sport forever. Now everybody does it, they do it with impunity. Now everybody does it and the fanboys lap the shit up, not fighting who you are supposed to has become a badge of honor.

9. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

is it an American fighter problem?

10. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

great, speaking of boring ass motherfuckers, hopkins' fight is on the horizon.

he'll manage to stink up the joint even while fighting a badass fighter like kovalev.

11. sanchito

Yep...I was having the same argument with REED back in those days...

12. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

quillin is the latest motherfucker guilty of this.

13. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

14. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

15. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Adonis Stevenson is another, Not So Swift Garcia is going that way too.
    One of the few fighters who seems to get how the sport is supposed to work is No Arms Alvarez.

16. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

On a somewhat related note I read an article not so long ago regarding Wladimir Klitchko and it said that while Klitchko fights a lot of mandatory number one contenders however the overwhelming majority of these mandatory number ones had never fought another top 10 contender before they became Wladimir's mandatory.

17. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Fuck Paulie. The night of Mayweather-Maidana I after the fight he said it was a close fight. Then he signed with Al Haymon and all of a sudden it wasn't a close fight and he then accused Shaun Porter of using PED's all within a couple if days of signing with Haymon.

18. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

funny, I was thinking that T-Rex Alvarez was actually a fighter that wants to and does fight the best contenders out there.

I've been trying to think of a Mexican fighter that ducks or ducked the best. help me out with this. I'm sure there are some but seems like most don't.

19. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Chavez Jr. seems to have caught the disease. He did fight Martinez but since then he's wormed out of a Golovkin fight and is always rumored to be a potential opponent but it never gets above the rumor stage.

20. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

he's in talks to fight froch in January. hopefully, that'll happen. it'll be a fight fans fight.