Marquez-Morales in April?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Ron Champ Miller, Dec 31, 2010.

1. El tanke

El tanke Member

Roys prime was at 160-168 PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Joe King

Joe King Member

LOL. Typical. Turn it around and say that Roy never moved back down. If he went back down in weight, he would be criticized even more by idiots like you.

3. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Roy was in his prime during the first 5 years of his career? :slap::slap::slap:

168 is a relatively new division. Anything above 160, is not middleweight. Under the original eight system, he's a light heavyweight. Period.

4. Joe King

Joe King Member

Sure, let's apply the original 8 divisions to Jones and not anyone else.

5. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Examples please?

6. El tanke

El tanke Member

you are so full of shit Rebel. You are a hypocrite, So marquez only moved up one division to take on PBF, not 2 like you claim he did. Thats using your logic.

Yes, the RJJ that beat Hopkins and Toney was the best roy jones I even saw and that was at 160 and 168.

Roy was a natural middleweight who grew as he aged , like most fighters do.

7. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Close to 75% of JMM's fights were fought at featherweight. That's a natural featherweight. He only moved up to chase Pacquiao and remained at 135 after he realized he could be competitive up there. In fact, he's currently the Man to beat in that weight class.

Hence, JMM is a natural featherweight who moved up to face PBF, one of the most talented fighters of all-time, at welterweight. This wasn't some shitty titlist we're talking about either like John Ruiz.

Toney was out of shape and Hopkins was green. To refute that is beyond idiotic. Not surprising coming from you.

The fact that most of RJJ's fights were above middleweight indicate he was never a natural middleweight. Natural middleweights don't outgrow a division that quickly.

You seem to rapidly be losing brain cells with age. Time to go see a doctor.

8. witton_lane

witton_lane Boxing Fanatics All-Time Great

Jones hit his absolute peak for me at 168, but he was still at an insane level at LHW for 5-6 years when he fought in that division, and cleaned it out with the exception of the Eurobum with the WBO belt. Of course that's the one that all the idiots jump on, it's hysterical.

When did Pac or JMM own a division like that? Never? It was also a division that was 2 weights up from the mans natural weight, he didn't just pick up a belt, he owned the division. The fact that he gets shit for not going to HW and beating Lennox Lewis and Wlad Klitschko is actually a back-handed compliment as far as I'm concerned, even the haters thought he was super-human :nod:

I wonder if Pac takes an unwise move down the weights at nearly age 36 and gets stretched, would he get hated as much as Jones did for it? It's hardly likely to happen obviously, he'll be long gone by then. Good luck to him, don't blame him for that but had Jones been smart and retired after beating Tarver the first time we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

9. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Nobody was clamoring for that Diaz rematch just the opposite. Especially considering he had just been schooled by Malinaggi. The truth is, it was a soft touch.

10. Valdosta

Once JMM proves he can compete at the higher weights then he deserves a 3rd fight. As it is, it relly wouldn't prove anything.

11. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Diaz was at his best at 135, not 140.

12. Valdosta

It didn't really matter, there was no interest in that rematch. Diaz was a soft touch. Period.

13. Rebel

Rebel Admin

RJJ was stretched by the two best light heavyweights he ever faced. So much for dominating light heavyweight. :whatver:

14. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Diaz was more of a threat than Ricky Frazier, David Telesco, and most of the other bums RJJ fought.

Diaz was more a threat than "Shot" Sharmba Mitchell and "Never Was" Bruseles.

Keep in mind RJJ and PBF were in their primes when they were feasting on that crap. Meanwhile, I never once heard you bitching about those crap matchups. Great consistency...

JMM hasn't had many money fights and he's been past his prime for about 4-5 years now. The man is a legend at the tail end who deserves a fight like this. Quit your hypocritical whining.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  15. witton_lane

He lost to them when he was old and shot....and if you think Glen Johnson is one of the 2 best LHW's Jones faced then you're retarded, seriously. Tarver, maybe, Johnson, no chance - he wasn't even a LHW for a start, using your own "JMM" criteria :lol:

Clinton Woods beat Johnson a few years back, I guess he was one of the top LHW's Jones ever faced too? Gonzales went to Europe and exposed DM yet he's classed as just another 'bum' by the Jones haters too.

It's just irrational hatred, admit it. I admit it whenever I post about Slappy Joe yet you seem to think that your irrational bias against Jones has some credibility, which it doesn't.

16. Rebel

Rebel Admin

He was not old and shot when Tarver defeated him. He was still considered by many of his fanatics as the best boxer in the world. Oh my how you love revising history to suit your biased views.

Johnson was a late bloomer who hit his stride in his mid 30s. In fact, he's had more success at light heavyweight than in any other weight class he's fought at.

I watched the Woods fights. I thought Johnson was robbed just like he'd been robbed many times before while fighting in an opponent's backyard.

DM was a dinosaur by then. He'd already shown significant decline in the Richard Hall bouts. Further, no one even had him in their top 10 p4p, much less than #1 spot (ahem RJJ).

17. Valdosta

Who the hell cares about Jones and Mayweather. I never said shit about those guys in this thread because THIS THREAD ISN'T ABOUT THEM. What I did say is Diaz was a soft touch for JMM and he was. You can try to deflect the attention to other fighters but that don't work with me.

BTW-I used to complain about Jones competition all the time.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  18. witton_lane

Stopped reading right there. Can't be bothered.

19. TIP

TIP Member

And he ignored a 500lb gorilla in the room for 7 years. Someone called him a Eurobum, but that guy easily beat Hill, and Montel Griffin the two best LH's Roy fought. Ignoring his number one top challenge for that long is wrong. People were all over Floyd Patterson for not fighting Liston for a two or three year span when Sonny was the top challenge. Of course eventually Patterson fought him. Mike Spinks didn't ignore Quawi, Leonard didn't ignore Hearns, Ali fought Frazier and Foreman etc.... etc... etc... That fight never happened and Jones was the marquee fighter like Spinks, Ali, Leonard and all the other greats who faced their top challenges were. MM mentioned the smell test, well at LH, DM was the smell test, the Eurobum was 48-0 before he lost at age 35. He fought a good number of bums like RJJ did, but you don't beat Hill, Griffin and Rocco without having skills. TIP

20. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Figures you'd stop there. The truth must hurt.