Marquez-Morales in April?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Ron Champ Miller, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Sources have indicated that there is now a strong chance that three-time world champion and Mexican ring legend Erik ‘Terrible’ Morales will seek a world title in a fourth different weight division against his compatriot Juan Manuel Marquez, also a three-time world champion and currently WBA and WBO lightweight champion. The possible date mentioned is April 16 in the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Morales reappeared in 2010 and defeated Jose Alfaro, Willie Limond and Francisco Lorenzo.

2. A fight at least a decade too late...

I hope it does not happen

3. mikE

mikE Member

must see. can't wait.

4. davemurphy

davemurphy Member

Gotta go with Ron here, El Terrible has seen better days while JMM is still pretty close to his peak. I just don't think it's a very good fight right now, Mike......and that comes from a BIG FAN of Erik Morales.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Interestingly, I'd like to see it. I think it will be fun. Enjoy it for what it will be.

6. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I'd like to see it just because it's two of my all-time faves. If it takes place in April, I'm there!

7. Joe King

Joe King Member

I hope Morales wins

8. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Why? So JMM can crumble as badly as Roid did against Tarver and Johnson? :haha:

Wishful thinking...:nod:

9. El tanke

El tanke Member

Morales will KO Marquez.

10. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Are you willing to wager on that one?

11. El tanke

El tanke Member

I am so sure of it, that Id feel guilty if I took your money.
    Even if I gave you 47:1 odds

12. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I hope you're serious. If so, it says a lot about your overall reasoning.

Don't feel guilty taking the wager when the time comes. If Morales does KO him, it'll be my pleasure paying up. However, something tells me you're going to eventually bitch out.

13. Joe King

Joe King Member

No, because JMM is a bitch for taking this fight NOW, just like he did against Barrera.

14. Rebel

Rebel Admin

GTFOH! Do you realize how much of a hypocrite you are?

1. JMM has been vehemently calling out Pacquiao for years. If it were up to him, that would be his next fight.

2. Over the last several years, he was involved in two FOTY type fights. He also managed to fight the man (PBF) most considered #1 P4P prior to his retirement, despite being greatly outsized at welterweight.

3. Roy Jones Jr! Your hero made a habit of ducking challenges and facing stiffs throughout his prime. Where were you when he was facing guys like Richard Frazier, Richard Hall, David Telesco, Derrick Harmon, Wholio Gonzalez, Glen Kelly?

4. Same holds true for fighters like De La Hoya, PBF, and almost every other star out there you've sucked off over the years.

At least this is JMM's first light touch (if you want to consider a future HOFer who's 3 years younger a light touch) in years.

Note: Erik Morales himself said he ducked JMM for years by taking lighter touches. JMM never ducked him. The fight is only happening now because JMM is in a much better position than Morales at this stage. How anyone can blame JMM for taking this "money" fight against a recognizable name is ridiculous considering the heart/skills he's displayed throughout his career, considering his resume over the past several years.

Therefore, stop being a freakin' hypocrite. Your hate/bias is extremely disgusting dude.

Now go play house with leather face and the King of NO RINGS.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  15. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

I can't blame JMM for taking this fight because a) it's a smart business move for him. Low risk and it should do good business just because of their names. and b) Morales is the one that really pushed for this fight. He knows the difference in caliber that they are at this stage of his career so it's on him. Nobody is forcing him to do it. But I gotta give him props for wanting to step up and take on a challenge like JMM even if it is way too late to be as good as it could have been.

16. Rebel

Rebel Admin

There's also the angle that Morales will be shooting to become the first Mexican in history to win titles in 4 different weight classes. If he accomplishes the feat, it'll be legit too because JMM is currently The Man at lightweight, not some cheesy titlist.

Seriously. If someone has issues with JMM facing Morales before he takes on Pacquiao, moves up to junior welter, or takes on the next lightweight challenge, I sincerely question their intelligence.

17. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Call this fight what it is....garbage. You can sit there and make excuses but JMM is supposed to be the champion at 135. Morales is not a worthy opponent and everyone knows it despite the pathetic excuses. Funny how some people think JMM is supposed to be GIVEN a fight against Pacquiao at a higher weight when JMM hasn't proven he can compete up there. Instead of proving he can he fights the ghost of Erik Morales. Disgusting.

BTW-What happened the last time Morales fought a World Class opponent? Yeah, it wasn't pretty.

18. Rebel

Rebel Admin

De La Hoya, Mosley, Jones, Pacquiao, haven't taken these types of fights in between challenges? It's not like JMM is going to face Morales, rematch Barrera, bring Norwood out of retirement, and then face a retired Kostya Tsyzu.

After this fight, JMM will do one of the things I mentioned.

Stop being a hypocrite as well.

19. Rebel

Rebel Admin

You mean the last time he faced Pacquiao?

Answer: Pretty much the same thing that happened to Cotto, Hatton, and De La Hoya, much bigger men.

You do realize this is Manny Pacquiao, one of the best of all-time, a fighter with a special "rare" blend of speed/power?

It's safe to say no other 130-135lber would've done the same to Morales.

Nice try though. :whatver:

20. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Actually you are the hypocrite. Unlike you I call a garbage fight....garbage. This fight sucks, I won't bother watching it.