Loma vs Lopez

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

The Lomachenko-Teofimo Lopez title fight this weekend and over the last week or so there has been a pretty good buildup with many people saying that Lopez is the fighter that is going to bring Lomachenko back to earth. I don't see it that way. Despite both fighters having the same amount of professional fights the experience gap is huge.

In no sport does history repeat itself like Boxing. Is there a chance that Lopez can beat Lomachenko? Sure, but there is just as much of a chance that Lopez ends up like Meldrick Taylor, David Reid and Davey Moore who despite their physical abilities and potential were essentially ruined at the hands of the vastly more experienced Chavez, Trinidad and Duran.

2. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Good analysis. Even if their records were exactly the same(number of fights) Loma has an edge in the amateurs. Very few have an amateur record like Loma. Loma has fought much stiffer competiton in the pros awell. And Loma is a true counter puncher and has forgotten more boxing skills than Lopez has. Classic big puncher vs boxer fight and historically ill put my money on the boxer.

Been a while since I was looking forward to a good fight.

3. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

How would you know, they weigh 135.

4. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Despite all the bad blood between Loma and Lopez and their respective camps, due to Covid protocols both fighters and their camps are staying on the same floor at the MGM Grand.

5. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

I just hope Loma doesn't stink up the joint a la pernell whitaker. he probably will, though.

6. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Does this remind you just a little bit of Mayweather vs Corrales? Slugger vs boxer type of fight. I think loma stops him. Will make look easy.

7. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Nah, never thought about that once. It did remind me if floyd vs freckles, though.

8. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Thats a good one. A great defensive fighter in his prime fighting a younger, stronger and less experienced fighter. Mayweather caugh him while he was young and inexperienced(at the ppv level). Same as what Loma is doing to Lopez. Btw why does Lopez talk like a wetback I thought he was born in the states?

9. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Why do people from the bayou sound like fucked up frogs if the were born in the states?

Why do people from ny talk like wops if they were born in states?

10. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Im not saying he has an accent. I know Mexican Americans from east la have a very distinct accent. But in my opinion still speak proper English. I'm saying Lopez sounds like someone who's English is his second language. When you look at him you expect him to speak like Danny Garcia's father. With that fast talking east coast urban latino accent. He sounds like a chunti.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  11. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

20201017_183102.jpg

Decent undercard for Loma vs Lopez

So far I have Vargas the puerto rican fighter winning all five rds and scoring an early flash knockdown with a jab. The Chicano CastaƱeda is not doing much. Getting outboxed. Has that Mexican flag on his trunks but not showing any balls. He doesnt go down stairs? Not showing the mexican style.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  12. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Is Edgar Berlanga the real deal? 15 fights 15 first round kos. Is he the new Tito Trinidad. Good to see a good exciting Boricua prospect. Im a fan:yoyes:

13. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

I thought the same thing as you. I WAS WRONG Teofimo fought the right fight. He was more athletic, faster, enough power to get lomas respect. I will say this and I posted about this and Remus disagreed with me. But I was never crazy about everyone jumping on the Loma bandwagon and calling him #1 p4p....with only 14 pro fights.

14. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

What did i tell you?

15. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

He did for the first 5 rds but for the last half of the fight I was a pretty exciting fight. To me stinking up the joint means zero action from 1 to 12. I know you love saying I told you so...but Loma put in a good effort towards the end.

16. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Didn't have Lopez outboxing Lomachenko on the bingo card but that's why Larry Merchant calls Boxing the Theater Of The Unexpected. Looked like a 7-5 Lopez or a draw to me.

One thing I did learn is that neither fighter can fight off the back foot or backing up. That was Lomachenko's undoing last night and will be Lopez' going forward.

17. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Fight did 2.9 million viewers and the whole card averaged 2.1 million viewers. That's just traditional cable viewers, doesn't include ESPN+ numbers or viewers who watch ESPN via streaming services such as YouTube TV, Fubo TV and Sling.

18. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

boxing's dead, brah!

19. Mark G

Mark G Member

Glad we got a good fight even during this pinche pandemic!

20. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

this friday on dazn, estrada vs cuadras and on the undercard, we have chocolatito and jc martinez fighting other opponents, not each other.

do you watch fighters under 135, though? lol