Lengthy detailed criticism of Floyd

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by TIP, Apr 15, 2014.

1. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

[video=youtube;qrXULLy41nU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrXULLy41nU[/video]

2. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Speaking of rematches.

Floyd Sr. changes tune on Maidana rematch

ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 05/11/2014 7:26 PM | Updated as of 05/11/2014 7:26 PM
    Boxing trainer Floyd Mayweather Jr. no longer wants to see his son, undefeated fighter Floyd Mayweather Jr., face off against Marcos Maidana in a rematch after taking note of the Argentine brawler's MMA-like tactics.
    Floyd Sr. was in his son's corner for the Maidana fight, which the American won via majority decision but not before being pushed and pressured by the Argentine for 12 full rounds.
    The elder Mayweather initially told Bad Left Hook that a rematch is all right with him if either his son or Maidan wants one, but in a recent interview with Hustle Boss, it appears the controversial trainer has changed his tune.
    "I don't think he should fight Maidana. That fight is not even worth it, man," said Floyd Sr.
    Some analysts have wondered if Mayweather's less-than-stellar performance against Maidana was proof that the American has finally lost a step, but Floyd Sr. insisted that the bout was between a "superb, masterful boxer, fighting with an MMA fighter."
    "(Maidana) hit (Floyd Jr.) in the balls. He hit him on the hips He hit him in the back of the head, was butting his eye," Floyd Sr. said. "Maidana don't deserve nothing."
    "With all the stuff that Maidana did – hitting below the belt, twisting the arm, hitting behind – if I was Floyd, I wouldn’'t fight him again," he added.
    Like his son, Floyd Sr. was also critical of the performance of referee Tony Weeks, who has been accused of allowing Maidana to get away with too much during the fight.
    "You're not fighting a guy that is fair, and the referee is not fair either, because he's not taking no points from the man," said Floyd Sr. "I’m not saying nothing is wrong with Mr. Weeks, but that night, it wasn't right."
    But Floyd Sr. also noted that his son could have readily avoided the punishment he sustained at Maidana’s hands.
    "He didn't need to be doing that (brawling with Maidana). This is the first time he ever did this type of thing," Floyd Sr. lamented.
    "If I would have had him, Floyd would have countered him a lot more. Plus, another thing, he did real good when he got out and walked around and he was hitting the guy with some shots," he added.
    Mayweather Jr. has acknowledged that he could have simply out-boxed Maidana, but claims he deliberately chose to stand and exchange with the hard-hitting Argentine in order to give the fight fans an exciting show.

3. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I just read the fight did around 840,000 ppv buys. Showtime lost money on this fight. They also lost money on the Guerrero bout. Thanks to Canelo their bout sold a little over 1 million ppv buys. Pacquiao is likely the only opponent that can help Floyd sell over 1 million ppv buys at this point.

4. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

If the rematch with Maidana doesn't occur and other fighters schedules go as planned, who will Mayweather fight in September if he indeed fights in September. Uniification fight against either Thurman or Porter? Up to 154 against someone not named Lara or "No Arms" A tuneup/warmup against another 147 lber "Blisters' Bradley or Devon "De Yawn" Alexander? Get a Danny Garcia, Mathysse, Provodnikov or even Lamont Peterson to make the jump from 140? Is a November fight more likely against Khan?

5. dazbag

dazbag Manos Daz Piedra

:haha:

6. Playboy

Playboy Member

Floyd fought Philthy like his record label.
    I hear Floyd fans talk about Marcos fouling. I saw Floyd fighting as if not dirtier.
    Routine forearms,elbows,holding (that's gay),gloves behind the head to steer Maidana,leaning on top of his head putting all his weight on top of him so how can one complain about Maidana as if Floyd was squeaky clean. The nerve.
    It was even. Let them play. I thought Floyd was cut by a punch. I never saw a cut result from heads incidentally coming together.
    You can hear Paulie announce during the fight that Chino needed to answer back for Floyd's tactics.

7. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

Nice i was hoping it would do under 1 million. That's the only way to get to Floyd hurt his ego and pocket. Of course he has a guarantee so it's really hurting Showtime but it might force them to get stricter on who he faces.

8. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

LMAO

So much for Floyd single-handedly carrying boxing on his shoulders. Who was the mongoloid that posted that?

9. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

himself

I've always argued that you never see Floyd fight guys like Bradley or devon alexander because he won't get more than 250K buys.

10. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Fight me, Floyd...fight me....
    [​IMG]

:popcorn:

11. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Mayweather-Canelo did over 2 million buys.

12. sanchito

sanchito BF Resident Douchebag

It sure wasn't because of Mayweather.

13. Rebel

Rebel Admin

That further emphasizes my point that he needs a big dance partner to generate big numbers. Imagine the numbers a Garcia or Thurman fight would generate at this point. 700k? The numbers will continue to dip unless he fights Pacquiao, rematches Canelo, or dares to be great against a middleweight like Martinez or Golovkin.

14. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

That's pretty much a blanket statement. Everyone needs a real good opponent to do massive numbers. Considering Floyd was such a big fav. over Madaina the fight didn't do that bad. They overpay Floyd though so they still lost money. In comparison I don't think the UFC has had a PPV do over 400K all year.

15. joey83

joey83 Banned

Exactly, it always takes 2 to tango, Rebel tell me if there is any boxer atm including Pacquiao that would have sold more ppv's than Mayweather did if they fought Maidana? I very highly doubt it.

16. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

I think pac vs canelo makes more in ppv than mayweather vs canelo because pac is popular amongst Mexicans because of his style.

17. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

Floyd is a popular fighter but he's no ppv draw. Mike Tyson never needed a dance partner. De la hoya never needed a partner. Floyd is not even close to those two. Black people on food stamps who are 99% of his fans don't buy ppv.

18. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

HEY NOW, DON'T FORGET YOU'RE TALKING 'BOUT TBE.

19. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

In good old England there is a Boxing publication simply called The Boxing News, it has been in publication for over 100 years here is a quote from the September 25th 1981 issue in it's description of the Hearns-Leonard Welterweight unification fight that was fought September 16th 1981.

"He'll almost certainly get it: for once, a Superfight lived up to it's billing and fully justified the the massive publicity which drew and estimated 300 million tele-viewers around the world and sold out the specially erected 25,000 stadium behind Caesers Palace"

Another quote from the April 13th 1987 issue following Leonard-Hagler fought on April 6th 1987 for Hagler's middleweight title.
    "Leonard the former welterweight and light middleweight (WBA) champion ended Haglers seven year spell at the top of the middleweight division with a superbly executed, but bitterly disputed, split decision win in front of a capacity 15,000 crowd in Caesers Stadium and an estimated worldwide TV audience of 300 million"
    Even if those estimates are off by 150 million as Porky Pig used to say Tha Tha Tha Tha Thats all folks.

20. Rebel

Rebel Admin

That's not the point. The point is that Floyd's numbers have peaked and will continue to decline barring a fight with Pac. Also, Showtime doesn't want to keep losing money so they'll hopefully only accept recognizable opponents who are actual threats. Gone are the days where Floyd can fight a Guerrero and get away with prancing around the ring in a 12 round snoozefest.