Lengthy detailed criticism of Floyd

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by TIP, Apr 15, 2014.

1. TIP

TIP Member

2. sanchito

sanchito BF Resident Douchebag

The guy has a point or two.

3. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Over a decade ago I coined the phrase "a choreographed waltz through a minefield" to describe the career paths of some of Boxings so called elite fighters, it's nice to see that someone has agreed with me.

Both TIP and I came up in a succession of Boxing era's where the best fought the best and those that had the best to fight and didn't were treated with absolute disdain and when they didn't were relegated to "who care's" status. It is also true that certain fighters lacked fellow greats to fight but they embraced the only other option and that was to systematically dispatch of one and all, fighting regularly and essentially cleaning out there division until there were no challenges real or imagined left. What those fighters didn't do was build up their inferior opposition to dupe the public into believing that they are a real challenge.

4. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Great find. The author has more than a great point or two. Floyd has chosen fights carefully throughout his career while someone like Pacquiao has fought pretty much every threat during his ascension to welterweight. The only fighter he never fought was Floyd compared to Floyd's 8 to 10 missed opponents. Thanks for sharing TIP.

5. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

I quit reading the article after they were criticizing him for not fighting someone at 140 and 154 in the same year. Pacquiao doesn't have anyone on his resume that I would pick to beat Canelo btw.

6. sanchito

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand right on cue, the apologist chimes in.

7. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Whats that supposed to mean?

8. Valdosta

Simple, some people get a lot more credit than others because they are more liked. When you go up and down in weight you don't fight everyone. Floyd's resume is still very good. This is coming from someone who calls it as the see it. I have no interest in Floyd's next fight.

9. Valdosta

Who on Pacs resume would you pick to beat Canelo?

10. sanchito

How is this relevant?

11. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Would you have picked Canelo to defeat the prime versions of Margarito, Cotto, and Williams?

12. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

If nobody on Pac's resume would have beat him then nobody on Floyd's would have beat him either. Manny and Floyd have fought and defeated the who's who of Boxing at 154 and under in the last decade. Are you saying "No Arms" is better than all of them? May as well change his name from "No Arms" to "The Legend"

So just to be clear the best fighter that Floyd ever fought was Alvarez and Manny has never fought anyone as good as Avarez? If that is indeed your point of view then Alvarez must be one of the top three fighters to fight at 154 and below in the last 10 years.

13. Valdosta

Not necessarily. Alvarez is a good bit bigger than most guys that Floyd and Pac fought, which is what made him a perceived threat and Floyd in the -200's as a fav as opposed to JMM where Floyd was -500 and JMM is a greater fighter of course. Regardless, it seems to be easy to forget that certain guys were considered threats when Floyd beat them, after the fact.

14. Valdosta

Are you saying he for sure losses to all 3? He's MUCH bigger than prime Cotto. He certainly had a shot against Williams because of Williams defensive liabilities and Margarito wasn't shit without cheating.

15. Valdosta

Just answer the question. If the answer is nobody then I would say that makes a point. If you think someone on Pac's resume does beat Canelo who?

16. dazbag

dazbag Manos Daz Piedra

Like Castillo who did beat him in the eyes of many

17. Valdosta

That was a very close fight and Castillo had a case that he won. Of course Floyd being the coward that he is ran from the rematch......

18. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

De La Hoya at 147 and 154

19. Valdosta

A prime 147 or 154 ODLH I would have to agree. The version of ODLH that Pac fought was far from that though. Oscar was more done and run down than people realized.

20. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

I thought the question was anybody on the resume.