Kovalev vs Yarde

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Don't know if anyone caught the Kovalev vs Yarde fight this afternoon but it ended up being a good fight. Kovalev won via 11th round knockout. Yarde although woefully short on experience threw everything at Kovalev to bring him down but he just couldn't get over the hump and pull it off. Fight reminded me of Arguello vs Ray Mancini where the older more experienced fighter wore down the younger fighter.

Rumor has it that Canelo Alvarez will step up and challenge Kovalev. Intriguing matchup. Will Canelo come in as a light light heavyweight(170ish) or will he come in as a full light heavy(174-175). Will Canelo's youth and speed be enough to offset Kovalev's size and power, Kovelev is 4 inches taller and almost 3 inch reach advantage.

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Look for freckles to demand kova to come in at 172.

3. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Kovalev is known as a front runner but he got hammered in round 8. He came back strong after that. I think Kovalevs jab and size can bother Canelo a ton. Unfortunately Kovalev doesn’t handle bodyshots well.

Michael Matos likes this.
  4. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Everybody here knows I'm team Canelo all the way so this might sound bias but since Canelo is a fast middle weight... How would Kovalev handle the hand speed difference? We know Canelo is used to fighting taller guys (Rocky Fielding).

I will admit though Im a little concerned if Canelo can carry his power to 175. Can his punches hurt Kovalev. If I was Canelo I would clean up 160 and fight Andre or Charlo. Theres still unfinished business at 160. Then again I believe GGG and Jacobs are better than Charlo and Andre. So an argument could be made he already beat the best two guys at 160. Who has charlo beat?

5. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

When did he beat ggg? I must've missed it.

6. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Sigh....your opinion is your opinion. Lets stick to the facts. His resume shows a win and a draw. Every decision can be knittpicked. Ok lets just say on paper he faced the best guys at 160.

7. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Sigh, titos resume shows a win over oscar and freckles resume shows 1 judge thinking his fight with floyd was a draw.

We all know the truth for both, don't we?

8. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

And some people claim Pernell whittaker beat Chavez and De La Hoya. Some say The Greatest (Ali) second fight with Liston was fixed by the mob, and got gift decisions against Norton and young. Some people believe Floyd Mayweather's undefeated record is bs because he "lost"to Jose Luis Castillo. Any fighter's resume can be picked apart even the best of them. You wan to revise history and challenge boxing decisions...be my guest im sticking to the facts today. Im not going there today.

9. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Its relevant though because freckles lost both fights to ggg. Had the decisions been the right ones, that piece of shit steroid user would be an afterthought.

10. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

He might have been an afterthought 30 or 40 years ago but in the Lazarus era we are in now he would have gone on without missing a beat. Some organization would have stripped GGG and gifted Canelo a title shot against a no-hoper .

11. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

You act like fighters weren't on peds 20 or 30 years ago. Like there wasn't questionable decisions or robberies. I'm old enough to remember the Hagler vs Leonard robbery. How many gift decisions did Ali get in his career? Boxing was ran by the mob back in those days so don't try to romanticize the olden days.

12. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

What I wrote has nothing to do with PED's. With 4 governing bodies in the sport you are never an afterthought in this era, you are never out of contention. Case in point just a couple of years ago the WBA sanctioned a heavyweight title fight between Shannon Briggs who hadn't fought a top ten contender in nine years and Fres Oquendo who hadn't fought in almost four years.