How would today's fighters fair under Robinson, Pep, and Saddler fight schedules?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Back in the good ole' days, fighters like Robinson, Pep, and Saddler fought 10-25 times a year against the best available opposition often times with only a few weeks or months between fights. That's amazing when you think about it. Even when they were fighting cupcakes, they were taking punches, and suffering injuries. I bet half of the time these fighters were fighting with broken ribs, injured hands, etc.. Today, fighters are pampered and bitch and moan about having to fight more than 2-3 times a year. It's quite pathetic.

This is the main reason I think it's a joke to compare someone like Roy Jones Jr. to Sugar Ray Robinson. Ray Robinson was a fighter and then a businessman. Roy Jones Jr. is a businessman and then a boxer. RJJ is one of many of today's superstars who I don't believe would be successful under the old school tough as nails fight schedule.

I believe that only handful of today's fighters would be able to fight and be successful under that type of schedule. What are your thoughts?

[ December 21, 2003, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Rebel ]

2. BedtimeBear

BedtimeBear Guest

I agree, but people didnt injure as easily back then.

Most of todays fighters would be broken down quick, not so much that they couldnt beat the old timers head to head, but the grind of low pay, high activity against good competition, and 15 rounds would burn their athleticism out quick.

3. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I think many of today's fighters would be able to compete with the fighters of the past. I just wonder how great some would be if they had those schedules.

4. Valentino

Valentino Member

People didn?t injure as easily?

Harry Grebb was fighting LITERALY BLIND.

Others were fighting of tooth-infection.

Fighters did injured.

They were just tougher.

Other than that, I do not disagree with some of your points.

5. BedtimeBear

BedtimeBear Guest

Well they injured, sure

It just seems to me, people are more fragile now, so many people die so damn easily, its the only conlclusion I have

6. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I didn't agree with that comment either. Is he saying that today's fighters are more fragile? Bones have gotten weaker over the years? LOL

[ December 21, 2003, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Rebel ]

7. BedtimeBear

BedtimeBear Guest

[ December 21, 2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: animal ]

8. KoCav

KoCav Guest

The sparring partners that champions get today are more talented than the crap champions fought 50 years ago.

9. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Not only the schedule but the conditions as well, fighting in the midday sun, fighting in the rain, having a fight postponed for a day or two because of rain. No endswell in the corner or any of the modern coagulants, no accidental headbutt rule, gloves with freemoving thumbs, weigh-ins the day of the fight. With that in mind the schedule may be the easiest thing they would have to deal with.

10. Valentino

Valentino Member

Maybe or maybe not.

But get into a ring and fight around 2 or 3 fights PER WEEK against tough guys at an average of 15-rounds per fight and tell me that THAT is easy.

Shit, I cannot even see today?s fighters fighting BUMS 3-times a week.

By the way...Sugar Ray Robinson fought 50 years ago. And if I'm not mistaking, so did Ali (amateur).

11. KoCav

KoCav Guest

I wasn't calling the champions crap, just their opponents.

Mi ingl?s no est? muy bien.