(HBO PPV) - Mayweather vs. Ortiz, Alvarez vs. Gomez, Morales vs. Cano (September 17)

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Floyd Mayweather Jr. (41-0) vs. Victor Ortiz (29-2-2)
    Saul Alvarez (37-0-1) vs. Alfonso Gomez (23-4-2)
    Erik Morales (51-7) vs. Pablo Cano (22-0-1)
    Jessie Vargas (16-0) vs. Josesito Lopez (29-3)

Predictions for Saturday's PPV card?

2. El tanke

El tanke Member

I will be in the minority here, I will go ahead and predit a victory by Victor Ortiz. by close SD. He will outgun Mayweather and will make him run and hold more than usual. Like Castillo did in their first meeting.

I will predict a Canelo stoppage vs the unworthy title challenged Alfonso Gomez. KO8
    and I have not seen Cano fight, but I think Morales will win a Decision. UD 117-111

3. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Can you believe this card is roughly $70 for the HD feed? Thankfully, Tecate is offering a $25.00 rebate.

4. Rebel

Rebel Admin

“We’re going to bring Ortiz to the middle of the ring and make love to him. You won’t see a seventh round in the fight because Mayweather is going to stop him in the first six, I do believe."

A quote from Nate Jones, one of Floyd's assistant trainers. :stunny:

5. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

Floyd has assistant trainers? Oh you mean those guys he pays to watch him hit pads with Roger and talk into his stacks of money.

6. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

No shit. The Mathysse pullout really bummed me out about buying this ppv. That Tecate rebate better come in they dicked me last time for the Mosley-Mora card.

7. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Floyd has so many assistant trainers he doesn't know all of their names. hehe

8. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

I'm also taking Ortiz.

Mayweather is not getting any younger.

Mayweather has been inactive for 16 months.

Mayweather has a history of being bothered by southpaws.

Ortiz is naturally the bigger fighter...plus he's aggressive...and can punch with either hand.

Mayweather is not Superman...much less Jesus Christ...it's time for him to suffer his first defeat.

What kinda defeat?

That...I don't know...probably a decision...but if Ortiz wins by KO...I'm going to cum all over my flat screen...

:lol: :mexsmiley:

9. Black Gatti

Black Gatti Member

10. joey83

joey83 Banned

Well your flat screen is safe because ortiz is going down and down hard like every1 else pbf fights, his not superman or jesus but in the boxing ring his super human and cant be beat by anyone past present or in the future, he will woop ortiz then pacquiao and go down as the greatest boxer in history so get used to it as much as you hate him theres nothing you can do about it.

11. joey83

joey83 Banned

And if appreciating the skill and talent of a once in a lifetime boxer makes me a floyd nuthugger then so be it but i love boxing and im gratefull to have mayweather in my generation so i can see him. As for his personality its his life he can do what he wants i couldnt care less as long as he gets in the ring and does what he does best thats all i care about.

12. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

Oscar De La Hoya revealed that Floyd weighed 149 a month ago. Oscar say's that's not good for a fighter at Floyd's age. Could this could be a bad indicator for Floyd?.

13. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

No, because Floyd always keeps himself in shape, he's not like Oscar who got fat in between fights. Floyd might struggle a little early but after 6 rounds (could be earlier), he will own Ortiz's ass.

14. Valentino

Valentino Member

I know.

Mayweather is the more established Welterweight. He hits like a welterweight and has fought welterweights. Ortiz might be a little over his head.

15. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

Yeah floyd is very disciplined about staying in shape. The weight won't be an issue. But roadwork and padwork can only keep you in shape to a certain extent. Being in the ring, seeing punches coming at you, getting your timing down are very important too. I think Floyd's in for a rude awakening. Victor's youth, physical advantages in strength and explosiveness will give him the edge to outwork Mayweather. He has to fight possessed like he did against Berto though.

I'm sippin the kool-aid and jumping on board with the rest of the beaners and picking Ortiz by Decision based off an early knockdown and getting off to an early start! WAR ORTIZ!!

16. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

You dummy...Black Gatti laughed at my "cum at flat screen" comment...not necessarily my prediction...

:slaphead: :slaphead: :slaphead:

:lol:

17. zboxz

zboxz Member

this post is about inside the ropes.

I believe PBF is the best fighter in the world.

Yes the dark cloud of Pac is over him and he will never be considered the best by boxing until he beats Pac.

first off Floyd has no problem with lefties. One of his biggest weapons is and always has been his lead right. He is the master of distance and great solid defense. but the pace and distance will be and always has been his strong suit.

As always he will be chased around a round or two then you will see him sit down at exactly the right distance to pick his opponent apart.

with Floyd you need to separate the man in the ring from the man outside the ring.

Inside the ring he may be the best i have ever seen.

In this fight he will want to knock Ortiz out but if the KO is not there he will just dominate scoring and win easy. No reflection on Ortiz, he is just in there with one of the best ever.

18. TFK

TFK Clutch

I'm gonna go with Ortiz by KO in the 8th. Ortiz is young and hungry, Mayweather is old and cocky. Mayweather is gonna start off strong, countering Ortiz while fighting defensively, but he's not gonna be able to hurt him. Around the mid point of the fight, Mayweathers speed and reaction time are gonna slow down just a little bit, and he's gonna get hit with a big punch that is gonna take him out of his game.

At that point Mayweather's gonna get on his bicycle and go into survival mode, catching punches while backing up, before Ortiz, who will be smelling blood, corners Mayweather and hits him with a body\hook combo, and Mayweather will crumple to the ground and the ref will stop the fight without counting.

Either that, or Mayweather will win a boring, safety first decision that will leave boxing fans everywhere swearing the will never buy another Mayweather PPV again (until the next one).

Ortiz KO 8

I have a family function to attend to today so I'm not if I'll be home in time to watch the fight, but if anyone has reliable stream, feel free to PM me the link.

TFK

19. neo_wolf

neo_wolf Boxing Fanatic's greatest

Im going with Floyd by TKO.

20. Jack1000

Jack1000 Boxing Fanatic

Nothing's changed from my original prediction:

Floyd by fairly easy UD or maybe a late stoppage,

Ortiz has about a 20% shot if:

1.) He catches Floyd with a big punch blitz and follows up. (Must come in the first four rounds at max,) OR
    2.) Floyd has aged overnight. You can't be off fighting only 1-2 times a year and still be razer sharp forever.

The 80% is:

1.) Ortiz may be hungry and have power, but his chin is made of Jello-O
    2.) He went life and death in a FOTY with multiple knockdowns against Berto. But Mayweather is no Berto.
    3,) The crude although powerful Madiana was able to catch Ortiz, drop him, and make him quit. The longer this fight goes, the better Floyd gets at rhythm and timing.

Victor has to tear into Floyd ala Hagler and Hearns or else he has no chance. And if he lets Floyd off the hook, like it appeared Mosley seemed to do after that 2nd round, he has only himself to blame for shooting himself in the foot.

I think if Victor gets hurt provided that this fight goes more than a few rounds, he's not going to be able to recover.

Jack