(HBO) Paul Williams vs. Nobuhiro Ishida (Canceled)

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, May 15, 2011.

1. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Paul Williams returns July 9 against the man that just destroyed James Kirkland, Nobuhiro Ishida.

Who wins and why?

2. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Williams...his long ass reach and punching power should be the difference.

Williams might have been KOd by Martinez...but he ain't no Kirkland.

3. JayDawg

JayDawg Member

Yea Williams wins this one.. I don't know why Kirklands people wasn't trying to get him back in the ring with Ishida. He has to try to avenge that loss in one of his next few fights..

4. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I think Kirkland should revisit that fight 5-7 fights down the road. Another loss to Ishida this quickly might ruin him.

5. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I think this fight is interesting. Ishida looks a lot better than what his record suggests, and Williams is coming off a devastating KO loss. I'll go with Williams in a fight where he doesn't look like the Williams of old.

6. Jack1000

Jack1000 Boxing Fanatic

I will take Williams but am not exactly confident in this one. We might need to prepare for a surprise along the way. Paul by UD.

Jack

7. JayDawg

JayDawg Member

Yea you might be right. Maybe 3 or 4 depending on how he looks in those fights..

8. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

This fight should not be on HBO. :vomit: This is a glorified tuneup for Williams who gets this favortism because his manager is Al Haymon. If Williams wants an easy fight than fine but I shouldn't be paying for it to be on HBO. Fuck them.

And HBO have been so disrespectful to Sergio Martinez who has done nothing but bend over backwards for them and put on great performances. They turned down Zbik and Isida as opponents for Sergio Martinez yet they approve these same shitty opponents for JCC jr and Paul WIlliams?! :jerky:

9. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Good points O-Dogg33. They'll probably also approve Berto/Zaveck if it happens. Ridiculous.

10. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

Exactly!

11. JayDawg

JayDawg Member

Yea I agree. HBO shouldn't of approved this fight.. Is it the main event?????

12. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Yes, Williams/Ishida is the main event.

13. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Why shouldn't Ishida get another chances after shattering HBO's golden boys jaw? Williams just got KTFO in his last fight and might not be the same.

14. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Very true. I have no issues with the bout considering the circumstances.

15. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

Really? The guy was like a 17.5-1 underdog against Kirkland. He lost to Canelo's older brother. Why doesn't HBO give Austin Trout a shot who beat the guy who beat Ishida? Williams is coming off a big loss I agree but HBO is not his promoter they are the network that's supposed to carry championship level boxing which this isn't. It might turn out to be a good entertaining fight I'll admit but what I'm pissed off about is the double standards that HBO is operating by. They baby the hell out of certain fighters and the subscribers are the ones that suffer. Shit I'd even rather Williams fight Cintron again if they are going to insist on making us watch Williams in a comeback fight.

16. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Trout is just a belt holder right now with no real name. Plus he has to worry about beating David Lopez in Mexico.

You want Williams to get matched real tough after suffering a big KO loss? You're tough bro.

17. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

Just if he's on HBO. I don't give a fuck who he fights off HBO. I want my money's worth!!
    I'm just throwing Trout out there for instance since he's an undefeated 154lber who is a quality opponent. From what I've heard Williams turned down
    Dzinziruk and a few other opponents he felt were "too tough". He wanted to fight Sergio Mora!

18. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I'd want to fight a soft puncher too after getting KTFO for the first time. You can't blame the guy.

It wouldn't surprise me if Williams fought Dzinziruk after the Ishida bout, assuming he wins of course.

19. JayDawg

JayDawg Member

It shouldn't be no main event though Val.. :nono

20. Jack1000

Jack1000 Boxing Fanatic

Yea,

It's probably not HBO level. But they could have done a lot worse. Remember they gave soft touches to Roy Jones (Rick Frazier??? WTF? and Delahoya-Campas...In fact, wasn't Oscar's fight with Campas a PPV? This under the circumstances is NOT a bad fight for Paul for his first fight back, at all, and maybe Ishida will give us another shocker! I had no idea before the Kirkland fight when Buffer said Ishida was a WBA champion. Go back and listen to the intro for that fight. Who did he beat to win a belt?

It's an interesting fight though. What does Paul have left after being shocked? Was the Kirkland fight a fluke? I don't think I am ready to "Punish" the "Punisher" until we see how he does in this comeback fight.

Jack