(HBO) Ortiz vs. Berto, Khan vs. McCloskey (April 16) - Predictions, Results, Discussion

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Mar 7, 2011.

1. zboxz

zboxz Member

these type of fights is why i love boxing.

it is everything boxing should be.

2. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Floyd only fights women right now.

3. TLC

TLC Member

No doubt.

4. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Boy was I wrong. Great fight. Great win for Ortiz. He showed heart tonight. Perhaps 147 is more comfortable for him. Maidana rematch up next?

Berto turned out to be overrated as most of us expected.

As for Floyd destroying Ortiz, I highly doubt that. Floyd couldn't even take out little JMM. Not saying Ortiz wins, but considering Floyd's layoff, I don't see Ortiz being an easy fight. That said, screw Floyd. He's non-existent until he actually signs to fight someone.

5. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Khan-McCloskey - BS stoppage. They just wanted Khan to secure the victory without having to risk looking bad in the latter rounds.

Ref. Ortega - He disgusts me more and more each time. Why does he feel the need to interject himself into just about every fight he refs?

6. Valdosta

Khan was having a good round and not really using a ton of energy, I don't agree with you on that. I do agree it was stopped to early but I think that has to do with location. They are quick to stop fights over there.

7. handolo

handolo Member

holyshit what a fight!

even tho he punked out against maidana and let peterson back into a fight he all but won, vic made a fan tonight. he showed tremendous balls and determination in there. as of right now this IS FOTY.

8. TLC

TLC Member

JMM is a better fighter than Ortiz..

Floyd destroys Ortiz.

9. TLC

TLC Member

That's pretty sad.

10. TLC

TLC Member

I thought I was watching a bastardized Greco-Roman wrestling match and apparently that's the best boxing has to offer.
    :sayitaintso:

11. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

Great fight and Ortiz showed great punching up and down the body. Dominating fight.
    The Khan fight was a bullshit stoppage...unless they hate the site of any blood in a boxing match over there....Ringo

12. handolo

handolo Member

i know, i know. you prefer watching grown men in speedo's all oiled up hugging each other all over the octagon.

13. TLC

TLC Member

That's retarded. Mainly because they wear the same size shorts that boxer's do, and being oiled up is a foul. So I'm not sure where you are going with that? Oh that's right, nowhere.

I'd at least prefer, if grown men are going to hug literally every other second, that someone throws the other dude.

I personally didn't get when Lampley said their was a "Sportmanslike hug at the start of the 12th".....it looked like they were just "fighting" to me.

14. Are you kidding me?

Yeah, the last part of the fight was sloppy, they were tired. But that's because it was a vicious, brutal fight up till that point. The holding being a problem is partially to blame on the ref, who frankly sucked.

15. C'mon dude. There were 4 knockdowns, some vicious shots landed and all you saw was the holding? Yeah it was excessive at times and slowed the action, but I've seen much, much worse. Hell, Floyd routinely employs this as a tactic as did Lewis.

And I don't have a beef with people on this forum, but if you seriously and honestly did not enjoy that fight, then I have to question if you really enjoy boxing at all. Lots of action, lots of heavy shots landed, knockdowns, drama, a clear winner... I'm a bit dumbfounded by your response.

16. TLC

TLC Member

17. TLC

TLC Member

The last 4 rounds of the fight probably had more clinches than punches thrown...unless you count smothered rabbit punches.

18. TLC

TLC Member

This fight just reminds me of why I find it so hilarious people hate on Khan all the time.

The dude always stands and boxes. None of this clinching crap for 15 minutes at a time.

19. Valdosta

Marquez-Concepcion was better than this fight. There was plenty of action in this fight but yeah there was a good bit of holding to. Still if you think it was a crap fight, find a different sport to follow.

20. TLC

TLC Member

Garbage, there was an inordinate amount of holding in the fight. Some of the most I've seen in a fight since a prime Ruiz.

Stop trying to sugarcoat it, pretty much shows me that I haven't been missing much. Lots of garbage fights and fighters recently...exactly why the sport is going sharply downhill.

From round 8 onward, I'd bet all the money I have they spent more time with their arms wrapped around each other than standing and boxing.