Gilbert Melendez Moving to the UFC

Discussion in 'MMA News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez to move to UFC - ESPN

By Franklin McNeil, ESPN.COM

WASHINGTON -- The next fight for Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez is likely to be inside the Octagon.

UFC president Dana White said he wants to have Melendez in his promotion very soon.

"We do want to bring Gilbert Melendez over [to UFC] and we're looking at it right now," White said Saturday night. "We're going to bring him over ASAP."

It was believed that Melendez (19-2) would defend his Strikeforce title in December against Jorge Masvidal. But White further emphasized his desire to have Melendez's next fight be in UFC.

"We're looking to bring him over right now," White said.

White refused to guarantee a title shot for Melendez in his first UFC bout, but he would not rule it out.

"It's a possibility." White said. "The thing is, that division is stacked.
    "And usually timing has a lot to do with it."

Melendez is third among lightweights and eighth pound-for-pound in the ESPN.com power rankings. He has won five in a row.

In his most recent bout, Melendez stopped Tatsuya Kawajiri in the first round on April 9.

Melendez would become the fourth Strikeforce champion to vacate his title since the promotion was purchased in March by UFC's parent company, Zuffa, LLC. The others are heavyweight Alistair Overeem, light heavyweight Dan Henderson and welterweight Nick Diaz, all of whom now compete in UFC.

The UFC lightweight division just got better. :yoyes:

2. TFK

TFK Clutch

Melendez is ridiculously overated, and I lost all respect for him when he and Coker ran their mouths about fighting Eddie Alvarez, then chickened out when Alvarez and Rebney said they'd take the fight under whatever circumstances Coker wanted.

There is much discussion about who Gil should fight in the UFC. I think they should bring Masdival along too and let their fight go off as scheduled, just under the UFC banner.

TFK

3. Rebel

Rebel Admin

You think he's overrated based on the fact many MMA publications rate him in the top 10 p4p?

Will you think he's overrated if he defeats the winner of Edgar/Maynard 3?

I think he has a good shot of defeating either one.

4. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

TFK just despises beaners...that's all...lol.

5. Rebel

Rebel Admin

He's not the only one that dislikes Melendez. He's apparently rubbed a lot of people the wrong way for some reason or another. At least that's what I've noticed on several MMA forums.

It would be stupid for someone to dislike Mexican-American MMA fighters in general because there's going to be a lot more of them in the near future. You knock one down, here come 5 more. :box1:

If Condit and Melendez eventually become champions while Cain and Cruz remain as champs, Mexican-Americans would rule half of the UFC divisions. Not likely, but that would be something. :mexsmiley:

6. TFK

TFK Clutch

I just don't think he's as good as people think he is. Hell, MMAWeekly has him ranked #1 at 155. That's ridiculous.

And I don't see him beating Maynard or Edgar.

TFK

7. TFK

TFK Clutch

That's not true. Jorge Paez was one of my favorite fighters back in the day.

TFK

8. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Maynard barely got by inferior Mexican-Americans in Diaz and Huerta. Melendez has the wrestling base and strength those two don't have.

I like how Melendez matches up against those two.

9. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Damn...you had to pick one of the ugliest beaners ever...

[​IMG]

:lol: :mexsmiley:

10. Rebel

Rebel Admin

These two are at the top of your list too, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:mexsmiley:

11. TFK

TFK Clutch

I never really became a fan of a fighter because I thought he was handsome.

I probably became such a big Paez fan because he was good, he was entertaining, and he was on TV all the time back in the day.

TFK

12. TFK

TFK Clutch

You really think Melendez has better wrestling than Maynard and Edgar? You gotta be kidding me.

And he may have a strength advantage over Edgar, but certainly not over Maynard.

Melendez is in the 2nd tier of lightweights, along with Guida, Guillard, Henderson, Pettis, etc. He is a clear step down from the division elite.

TFK

13. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I never said that. I said he has a better wrestling base and more strength than Diaz and Huerta, two guys that Maynard struggled with.

Melendez is going to surprise you.

14. TFK

TFK Clutch

Ok, the way I read it made it sound like you were saying Gil's wrestling and strength was better than Maynard's and Edgar's, which it clearly isn't.

I still want to see Melendez fight Masdival. Hopefully that fight still happens.

TFK

15. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

The difference between Melendez and Alvarez is that Melendez actually has the balls to fight in the UFC so not everything has to be a mythical matchup.

16. TFK

TFK Clutch

Too bad he didn't have the balls to fight Alvarez when the opportunity was there, though.

TFK

17. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Posing for the media with he said,she said stuff regarding the fight means nothing to me. What does mean something is that Melendez is stepping up.....while Alvarez hides in Bellator.

18. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Agreed. It's time for Alvarez to step up to the big leagues also and see what he's really made of.

19. TFK

TFK Clutch

He said she said nothing. Melendez and Coker talked a good game, but when Alvarez and Rebney said they'd take the fight under whatever circumstances Coker wanted, suddenly Gil and Coker changed their minds and chickened out.

And Alvarez can't fight for the UFC. He is under contract with Bellator, who have the same 'Champion clause' at the UFC. As long as Eddie is Bellator champ, he's stuck with them. He legally can't leave them. Unless of course, the UFC buys his contract out or buys Bellator altogether, which isn't out of the question.

TFK

20. TFK

TFK Clutch

Alvarez already did step up. When he fought in the Dream tournament, that's where the best 155ers in the world were at the time. Amado was Top 15 when Eddie beat him. Hellboy was top 10 when Eddie beat him. Kawajiri was Top 5. When he fought Aoki, Aoki was #1 on everyone's list of lightweights. His competition has dropped off since joining Bellator, but it's just wrong to say he's never fought the best.

TFK