Floyd Mayweather = great now and a future great

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Mark G, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Mark G

Mark G Member

Pretty Boy Floyd is the goods. I've been saying it for quite a while now and will continue to believe it.

He had a tough scrap with Jose Luis Castillo, but he is proven to be a tough and excellent fighter in his own right. To bad the rematch fell through, I hope it gets remade somehow. Two top ten pfpers in my book.

Not many fighters have dominated and looked as good as Floyd has. He is even exciting to watch. For someone as slick and quick as he is, that is really special. I've always liked the slick fighters that are also exciting, Leonard and Ali, there aren't a whole lot of them. Floyd isn't as great as these guys, but if he gets past Castillo convincingly and stays on track, I think he will eventually be remembered as one of the best fighters of our era.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

Great post! PBF is certainly a special fighter. He's not always at his best, but when he is... he's a sight to see. Great skills, and footwork, brilliant defense, underrated pop, hella speed, a solid chin, very versatile(can box from the outside, or stand in, and trade), has heart, and has stamina coming out the ass. He's the full package alright. It's too bad the rematch with Castillo got post-poned, Floyd was gonna school Jose BIG TIME in the rematch. Floyd is the shit! [​IMG]

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: Xplosive ]</p>

3. Punk

Punk Site Owner

Well he better stay at 135 unless he wants an asswhippin' from Tszyu. :D

4. Mark G

Mark G Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Punk:
    Well he better stay at 135 unless he wants an asswhippin' from Tszyu. :D <hr></blockquote>

He'll whup him back to Russia, or Australia, or whatever, but smack his ass to the other side of the world biatch!

Nah, we'll see how Floyd adjusts at 135. I don't know if he is big enough to make it at 140. That would be one hell of a dangerous fight, but if he adjusts well to the weight, maybe we'll see it between these two excellent champions.

5. SuperJ

SuperJ Member

I hope to the rematch happens. I like PBF, slick style fighters too especially when they step up to the plate like he does. [​IMG]

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: SuperJ ]</p>

6. hazza

hazza Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mark G:
    He'll whup him back to Russia, or Australia, or whatever, but smack his ass to the other side of the world biatch!<hr></blockquote>

lol, they said that about zab judah :D

floyd mayweather is a good boxer to watch no doubt, but he is not as good as he is made out to be, and certainly not strong enough to get in with tszyu. if castillo can beat him, then come on kostya would straight out ko him. mayweather would be foolish to move to 140, he's having a hard enough time at 135.

7. Muzseman

Muzseman Guest

Floyd has more problems outside the ring than in the ring.

He'll remain unbeaten inside the ring, but will end up getting KO'd before he enters it.

The cat is on a very slippery slope.

8. SuperJ

SuperJ Member

He is a good cat but needs to stay away from the ladies. LOL! They give him trouble or visa versa,, not sure but not a good equation.

9. Hex-One

Hex-One Member

No one beats a motivated Floyd! He is special. [​IMG]

10. Brawler

Brawler Member

OVERRATED

Time will prove it.

11. neil

neil Guest

Floyd will beat the living shit out of Freitas, you can believe that. Of course Freitas is now hiding out at 130 until the coast is clear.

12. Remus

Remus Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brawler:
    OVERRATED

Time will prove it.
    <hr></blockquote>

I tend to agree with you. I don't see what all the fuss is about really. The kid can blox, he is slick but one Mexican showed what pressure can do to him. And we're not talking a Morales or Barerra here, we're talking about a good but not great fighter in Castillo.

IMO, he may struggle with a guy coming at him for 12 and not letting him breathe. It just needs a pressure fighter with better footwork and ring generalship than Castillo and I think Floyd's outta there.

He may prove me wrong in time, he may belt the living crap outta Castillo next match, he may have had a fucked hand or whatever. But jury is still out on him ATM in my eyes.

And I don't really like the whining little bitch either TBO.

13. Muzseman

Muzseman Guest

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Remus:

I tend to agree with you. I don't see what all the fuss is about really. The kid can blox, he is slick but one Mexican showed what pressure can do to him. And we're not talking a Morales or Barerra here, we're talking about a good but not great fighter in Castillo.

IMO, he may struggle with a guy coming at him for 12 and not letting him breathe. It just needs a pressure fighter with better footwork and ring generalship than Castillo and I think Floyd's outta there.

He may prove me wrong in time, he may belt the living crap outta Castillo next match, he may have had a fucked hand or whatever. But jury is still out on him ATM in my eyes.

And I don't really like the whining little bitch either TBO.
    <hr></blockquote>

You managed to degrade Castillo and PBF in the same post. Good job.

PBF certainly has great skills and has shown heart.

I'm one of the few who said to not sleep on Castillo. I think Castillo is better than folks realize. Don't look at the record, look at how he fights.

The guy is a good fighter...certainly one of the best in the world today.

With that said, whoelse could give PBF the fight that Castillo did? No one at 130 could.

I'd pick PBF to beat a lot of the guys at 140 as well. I think the kid is very good, but all-time great status...that I don't buy.

For the record...I had the first fight a draw.

Castillo is better than folks give him credit for. Castillo fought the fight that Vargas should have fought or fought in part until he tired.

14. Remus

Remus Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Muzse:

You managed to degrade Castillo and PBF in the same post. Good job.
    <hr></blockquote>

I'm an over-achiever. :D

15. Remus

Remus Member

And I don't think I degraded either of them. I think Floyd is an excellent fighter but he's yet to prove to me that he is a GREAT fighter. I think that's fair.

And I also think Castillo is a very good fighter, but he is not an excellent fighter by any means. I think that's fair too.

16. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Mayweather has the best resume of any fighter at 130-140. How can that be overated? [​IMG]

17. Brawler

Brawler Member

If the MIND doesn't lead, then the fighter is DOOMED.

Here is a SHOCKER: Castillo might make Mayweather QUIT in his stool, unless Floyd's character is lower than we think and he is completely oblivious to the crimes he has committed.

Jusk ask Corrales what's like fighting the night before appearing in court... [​IMG]

18. Remus

Remus Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Valdosta:
    Mayweather has the best resume of any fighter at 130-140. How can that be overated? [​IMG] <hr></blockquote>

So you think he is a GREAT fighter Dosta ? Well go figure cos I don't think he's at that level yet.

19. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

Hey Brawler, Floyd would still kick Frietas' ass! :D And Remus, at least Floyd has been willing to rematch the man who(unofficially) beat him, unlike ANOTHER fighter(not naming names) who continues to duck the man who beat him to this day! [​IMG] Floyd has fought everyone, beaten some excellent fighters, moved up in weight, and is only 25. To call him a 'bitch' is staight up ignorance. Hector Camacho Jr is a bitch, Mitchell is a bitch, Ruiz is a bitch, Floyd is a REAL fighter w/heart.

BTW, although I think Tszyu would beat Mayweather, I don't think it would be a blow out like some think. Tszyu is overrated himself these days. I think Floyd could give him some trouble, and last the distance. Floyd has a very good chin, and one of THE best defenses in boxing, so I have a hard time seeing Tszyu stop him. The main factor in that fight would be Kostya's STRENGTH... that would be the differance. But Floyd could hang.

20. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Remus:

So you think he is a GREAT fighter Dosta ? Well go figure cos I don't think he's at that level yet.
    <hr></blockquote>

I'd say he's a notch under great, for now. His resume speaks volumes though. The guy fights everyone who is willing and besides Castillo has dominated. Besides that, the guy is only 25 and has that good of a resume. I am not a Mayweather fan, nor hater but he is a hell of a fighter. Much better than a guy like Freitas will EVER be.