Fights you wish had been 15 rounders...

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rebel, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Joe King

Joe King Member

13 round fights would be fine with me. An odd # of rounds would be best IMO. "Unlucky" number? Seriously? You guys have a belief system and don't even know it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I can think of a zillion 12 rounders that were controversial/inconclusive.

How about you provide at least 10, 15 rounders that held the same problem.

3. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I know I grew up in the 12 round era, but I don't recall anyone ever referring to 15 rounders as equally inconclusive/controversial, and I have seen my fair share on tapes/dvds. How about you provide at least a dozen examples.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  4. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

I'm glad it did not go a thirteenth but I wonder if Juanma Lopez would have recovered for a thirteenth round and regained some offense or just go into the ring and be knocked out cold by Mtagwa. Lopez very very barely avoided being knocked out. He got the 12 round decision. Ringo

5. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Ali-Young
    Ali-Norton III
    Weaver-Dokes II
    Foster-Ahumada
    Pintor-Murata
    Pintor-Zarate
    Pintor-Davila
    Chandler-Murata I
    Pedroza-Bernard Taylor
    Hilario Zapata-Fidel Bassa
    Olivares-Kotey
    Gomez-Lockridge

6. gushiken

gushiken Member

Harada-Famechon I,Harada-Kingpetch II,The Harada -Famechon is probably the most disgusting calls made-even the local Aussies booed. ..

7. gushiken

gushiken Member

Their would also I'm sure be heaps from the 1930's -1950's.

8. davemurphy

davemurphy Member

I think the reason we didn't go 13 was because most people looked at the elimination of just two rounds as not really being that much different, and 11 would've been too dramatic a change downward. Plus, there was early the practice that non-title fights between top guys were mostly 12 rounders (with the occasional 10's mixed in), so the elite were familiar with fighting the 12's. The increased number of Draw scorecards (due to the even number of rounds) wasn't anything anyone was think of at the time.

I'm going to post a thread with regard to a system that ESPN tried in the early to mid-eighties with regard to using a 13th Round for it's ESPN title fights (for the sake of TV, they created a ESPN Title, which was kind of fun and also lead to some pretty good fights). It had it's Pros and Cons.

9. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Exactly. 12 round has been in effect for roughly a quarter of a century so I worked back in that same time frame to be fair.

10. ericjw

ericjw Member

De La Hoya said that he was tired and his legs were shaky. So maybe it was in his best interest to play if safe and avoid getting hit, since Trinidad was a big puncher.

Another thing, it's always been said that Oscar's corner told him to stay away, but when I rewatched the fight and listen to the corners between rounds, all I hear from Oscar's corner is "box, box, box". Alcazar told him to "make sure they know you won the round".

11. hazza

hazza Member

exactly

12. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

well if he didn't let Taylor continue when he couldn't possibly lose the fight with less than ten seconds left, he certainly wouldn't have let him continue if it was scheduled for 15. Altho if the fight was scheduled for 15, there would be zero controversy. woulda been the same as him stopping it with 2 seconds left in the 9th or the 10th or the 7th.

13. davemurphy

davemurphy Member

I thought the real problem in that fight was Lou Duva. If he hadn't been up on the apron going nuts and drawing Taylor's attention, then MT looks Steele in the eye when asked to and the fight ends with a Meldrick Decision.

14. davemurphy

davemurphy Member

Guys, the dynamic of the fight changes when the fighters know how many rounds they have left. I don't know that could assume that Chavez and Taylor end up in the same position after 12, just like you can't assume that Hearns would've won a decision over Leonard had their first fight been a 12 and not a 15. Perhaps Dundee tells him "Your blowing it, Kid" after the 10th Rd instead of after the 12th. I know it seems like a slam dunk that Taylor couldn't take JCC's pressure for 15 if he couldn't do it for 12, but maybe Taylor holds more in reserve. Hell, maybe Chavez starts the very same assault only three rounds later and we end up with Steele waving it off with 2 secs to go in the 15th. We simply don't know......although common sense tells you that those 9 mins would've favored Chavez in some fashion, you would think.

15. hazza

hazza Member

agreed.

its not the ref's job to make a judgement based on how much time is left in a fight or what round it is. if he feels the fighter is in danger and can not answer/ defend himself, then he is obligated to stop it. it seems bad luck for taylor, but then, look at his face compared to julio's afterwards, and tell me who won. chavez was killing him

16. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

Yes. Although at the time Taylor was winning rounds because he threw somewhat of a avg 115-120 punches a round, maybe more. If the fight wasn't stopped Taylor would have won by split decision. Thing is that Lamp's "Richard Steele stopped the fight" along with Duva's antics played out negatively. Having to hear it for years being a HBO subscriber. Then hearing it in bars and stuff, message boards etc. How Richard Steele stopped the fight. No question in my mind Steele made the right call.

17. hazza

hazza Member

what were the scorecards at the time of the stoppage

18. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julio_Cesar_Chavez_vs._Meldrick_Taylor

I taped the original broadcast of the fight on HBO. I was going on memory alone. Unfortunately I don't have a VCR anymore so I went searching and found this instead. It's under The Fight.

Going into the final round, Taylor held a secure lead on the scorecards of two of the three judges, (Dave Moretti and Jerry Roth had the score 107-102 and 108-101 respectively for Taylor, while Chuck Giampa had Chávez ahead 105-104),

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  19. TysonFan

TysonFan Sensei

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  20. gushiken

gushiken Member

Talyor was robbed-Steele was staring straight at the flashing red light telling him their was 10 seconds left.Taylor was on his feet at 5 ,was clearly far from finished.I have seen fights continue when a fighter is clearly out off it with heaps of time left in the round,fights that Steele himself was in charge off- he fucked up -2 seconds for fuck sake.I want the judge who had JC winning to point out the rounds he gave to Chavez.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011