Dear HBO color commentator Roy Jones Jr...

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Rabid Kimba, Mar 6, 2011.

1. El tanke

El tanke Member

I agree, I dont mind the occasional mention of God in a boxing match, but it does get annoying after a while.
    When I want to hear about God, I go to church or tune into a Christian radio station.
    When Im watching boxing I wanna hear the commentators talk about the fight itself.

2. Rebel

Rebel Admin

What's so unprofessional about it? A lot of celebrities and sports stars constantly give praise to God.

3. El tanke

El tanke Member

Not even George Foreman or chris Byrd who are real preachers mention God as much.
    Angel Manfredy did, and he was veryyyyy annoying.

4. HOMICIDE

HOMICIDE 2011 Super Bowl Champs

I am with Rebel here it doesn't phase me much when he refers to it as most of the time I am just watching the fight, I do listen to commentary and try to pick up on things but the God reference doesn't bother at all, let him speak, he is good at what he does (IMHO)...

5. El tanke

El tanke Member

Hes a good commentator, he just needs to tone it done a lil bit.

6. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Agreed.
    I do not mind the God talk per say...but the constant preaching on almost every other post-analysis comment...really frigging annoying.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  7. Xplosive

Xplosive Member

Roy isnt giving praise to god. He's attributing other fighters' success to thier belief in God. Big differance.

When he was fighting, and after a win, if he wanted to give all the praise for HIS win to God... thats fine!

But he's supposed to be an objective analyst who talks BOXING.... not religion.

Still, its not a HUGE deal... because his analysis is still the best of any fighter bar none.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  8. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

tarver is better, imo.

9. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Slippery slope and here's why. Yuri Foreman.

10. witton_lane

witton_lane Boxing Fanatics All-Time Great

While I agree with you on principle, I still like to believe God was in the ring the night Barrera humiliated Hamed :mexsmiley:

When Hamed took the mike pre-fight to give it the Allahu Akhbar shit I was praying for the Catholics myself, and I'm a fucking atheist.

11. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I still see that as giving God praise/props.

I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be defending RJJ in a discussion with Xplosive. haha

12. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

i think Tarver is a better analyst

13. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Why did a Jap covered in vaseline come to my mind when I read this?

14. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

cause youre a racist

15. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

16. The Hitman

The Hitman Hitman

mex, your offensive comments are detrimental to my online boxing forum experience.

17. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

18. El tanke

El tanke Member

Change your tune puto, unless you want me to drive down to east LA and kick your fucking ass.
    Ok?lol

19. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

fucking whiners. whats wrong with a little racial humor?

its no secret us vietnam vets call the chinks/dinks/gooks slopes.

20. Jack1000

Jack1000 Boxing Fanatic

It's still Freedom of Speech,

However, it does get annoying, and it's not just Roy. I cannot count the number of post-fight interviews that begin, "I'd like to thank my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ....." I think Holyfield started that trend years ago. I don't recall hearing it that much before Evander was fighting.

Actually there are other things that I would rather NOT hear on HBO, which I would prioritize over a religious rant! And you guys all know what they are. The way that Lamply and crew pom-pom for the fighter under contract. I swear to God...(no pun intended) Lampley tombstone is gonna say, "I never met an HBO contracted fighter I didn't like."

Go back to the days of unbiased boxing commentary were you called the fight as a sports commentator for a network. That is so much better than the fucking cheerleading bullshit.

Jack