Cotto vs. Margarito: Round by Round/Postfight

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Jack1000, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Guest

It must be great to have "trained eyes" that allow you to give rounds to the fighter you wnat to have the round.

2. sanchito

sanchito BF Resident Douchebag

Again, if you are awed by the flashy punching and disregard blue collar punching than you are not doing your job. All I'm saying is that you have to take both into consideration. How hard is that to understand?

3. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Guest

WTF is "blue-collar punching"? A punch is a punch and Cotto was landing more punches for the first half of the fight. Maybe Margarito's were harder but there was no way to say at the time because Cotto never looked affected. Cotto's punches weren't just "flashy" they were clean heavy punches. And he landed more. End of discussion.

I assume you had Judah up against Clottey due to his "blue collar punches". lol

4. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I would classify arm, shoulder, chest, and other "non-flashy" punches as blue-collar in Marg's case. And those punches were definitely affecting Cotto. Anyone with decent vision could see this as early as the 2nd-3rd rounds.

5. sanchito

lol...you are an idiot if you can't read between the lines and understand what I'm saying.

6. sanchito

Exactly, Hayabusa is just being an idiot and splitting hairs where there are none to split.

7. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Guest

So you're saying it's possible for one fighter to consistently land hard clean shots to the head for a round, but lose the round due to getting hit in the arms and shoulders? Silly me, I thought that was called defense.

8. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Guest

Why the name calling friend? lol. Is it because I've come into your e-haven where you can pretend to be "in-the-know" and asked you questions you really can't answer? Your buddies can back you up but you're frustrated because I've exposed you to yourself.

9. Jack1000

Jack1000 Boxing Fanatic

Well,

I honestly think that splitting hairs, (or rounds) WAS difficult in this fight. How would you call rounds 5 and 9, which I scored even? Maybe commissions in the USA should be more generous about even rounds. Twi 10-9 rounds is an automatic two-point swing on a tabulated scoresheet. Going 10-9 for both Margarito or Cotto in those rounds gives a 4 point spread. This is a flaw in the 10-point must system, but it is the best scoring system that has been used in boxing's history.

Jack

10. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

The last thing we need is a directive to judges to be more generous with even rounds. Don't give them an easy out, make them do what they are hired to do and thats judge.

11. sanchito

Idiot isn't a real proper name, unless it's your surname. Hayabusa P. Idiot? I doubt that's the case. I was just labellieng your behavior. I said you were being an idiot, which implies a temporary state (although you've shown that you do not do well when it comes to reading between the lines so I may be giving you too much credit). Not that you are an idiot. Only time will tell if that's the case.

I have answered your questions and, also, my "e-friends" rarely back me up. I don't need it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  12. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I see where you're coming from, but it's not that clear cut. There are definitely exceptions to the rule, it just depends on how affected the flashier fighter is by the blue-collar fighter's incoming.

In this particular case, Cotto wasn't always landing the best shots or landing the harder blows. Of course this is open for interpretation depending on what you prefer. Me personally, I'll take a hard Margarito body shot/chest shot over a Cotto uppercut any day of the week. Why? Because while Cotto was landing flashy shots, Margarito kept coming. Meanwhile, every time Margarito would get close and land those workmanlike shots, he had Cotto backpedalling and looking extremely uncomfortable. This is one of the small things Sanchito is alluding to.

I just rewatched the fight on Saturday, but I didn't actually score it. I'll rewatch it tonight and post my scorecard later.

BTW, while you were watching the fight, did you really get the sense that Cotto was boxing Margarito's ass off? Seriously...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  13. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I wouldn't go there. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

BTW, have you ever posted here before? Your writing style looks familiar. I didn't ban you several years ago, did I? :wink7:

14. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Guest

I know I registered here a loooong time ago. Back when SO was still active. I don't recall why I left but I don't think I was banned.

15. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Guest

For the first 6 rounds, of course. Everyone I've spoken to about the fight got the same impression. I remember my friend, who's a huge Cotto fan, joking about how much he was enjoying the fight after 6 rounds. I told him he wouldn't be laughing in a few rounds when Cotto started to fall apart.

Marg was clearly wearing him out inch-by-inch and looking to win the war, but most here seem to see that as an excuse to give him the battles (rounds) as well, and that's just wrong.

But things tend to work out in the end. Everyone who saw the fight that's not "in the know" saw what happened and knew Cotto was outboxing him and well ahead at the time of the stoppage.

16. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

I'm sober for the moment and this old kike actually agrees with you. A fighter hits the arms and body to break a better boxer down. This is old school thought. It is what Margarito did. However usually the guy doing the arm and shoulder hitting knows he will lose points but is sacrificing the rounds for a later ko or TKO..it is a strategy that a smart fighter with some power and stamina but no speed often takes...so Cotto did outbox and win most of the early rounds even though he did not hurt Tony at all..but the arm and body shots by Tony set up the final moments later. You score for Cotto as you say on accuracy although not as effective as he would have wanted...but as a strategy Margarito later got the Ko..as I said..had Cotto lasted 3 minutes plus and the score been slightly different..he would have won on points..but I think you are correct here...Ringo

17. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I wholeheartedly disagree.

I believe this is one of those cases where Cotto fans just bought into Lampley's BS perception of the fight. It's what they wanted to hear and what they thought they were watching. However, that was far from what was really transpiring in the ring.

I saw Cotto attempting to box his ass off while Margarito methodically broke that ass down. Even when Cotto supposedly won these rounds "convincingly", he looked shaky as hell and uncomfortable in there. Perhaps, this is why 2 of the three judges had Margarito ahead at the time of stoppage.

18. Rebel

Rebel Admin

And if pigs had wings, they would fly...:slap:

19. Ringside

Ringside Retiree

That was not my point. It was that his boxing made the score close and that good boxing counted even here. It was the breakdown that won the fight, not the skill of Margarito. He is just a tough dude who toughs it out..but that a skilled boxer can and did beat him before..and I am fairly neutral in this fight as you know..Ringside

20. Rebel

Rebel Admin

I'd say there's definitely a lot of skill in what Margarito does. Now go suck on some Rican verga and accept Marg's dominance. :tongue: