Boxing Petpeeves

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Mexican Eagle, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Rebel

Rebel Admin

JuanMa is fun to watch for that reason.

Right now Provodnikov is my favorite balls to the wall fighter. Dude always brings it and can bang. Hopefully he doesn't fizzle too quickly. Fighters with his type of style typically can't sustain that for too many years. It's an awesome ride while it lasts though.

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Josesito lopez is another one. who cares if he loses, he fights bad ass.

3. dazbag

dazbag Manos Daz Piedra

9 times out of 10 all a "0" in the loss column comes down to is a reflection of the level of competition or plenty of home-cooking in my book. Similar to the lighter-weight guys for fun fights, for sheer excitement I'd watch a dozen old Saad-Muhammad fights on DVD before I'd even consider Mayweather's next bout (who, btw, I don't consider undefeated regardless of the zero)

4. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

One of my biggest gripes is promoters & networks keeping the good fights from being made.

Contenders not getting their hard earned shot at the title because of dirty boxing politics.

Boxers who dodge/duck dangerous opponents.

Excessive holding

Incompetent , over the hill, blatantly bought and paid for referees. Examples Joe Cortez, Richard Steel.

5. Playboy

Playboy Member

Good riddance to Joe Cortez.
    If I comment on why it might open up a can of worms so I'll leave it be.

6. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

I hate when fans say a certain fighter has been "exposed" just because he lost or had a bad night.

"He couldn't handle the fast jab, he's been exposed!"
    "He had trouble with a southpaw, he's been exposed!"
    "He couldn't take flush rights to the chin all night, he's been exposed!"

Those aren't being exposed, those are all "well, no shit!"

7. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Go for it.

8. Playboy

Playboy Member

I believe that's what one boxer does to another. He exposes him to a style & if the other experiences a bad night I credit boxer A.

I ask myself,why was one so successful.Why did the other struggle mightily.Styles.

I almost never listen to boxer's excuses as to why they didn't perform well after the bout. In my mind ALL credit goes to the opponent for manipulating you into the mistakes you made.

Before the fight you were confident you were going to win.Post fight you roll out the laundry list of circumstances that hindered your execution.

9. Playboy

Playboy Member

I don't like the way he officiated the Hatton/Mayweather match.
    You can't stop the stalker (Hatton) from punching in clenches after he worked to establish that position & allow the one who flees (Mayweather) consistent separation to leisurely prance around & avoid confrontation.
    That made me dislike the "I'm fair but I'm firm guys".
    The game is better without him in my opinion.
    I thought he could've done a better job being clear in the Mayweather/Ortiz match as well.
    Neutral corners.Box!
    Avoid any confusion.Take control.Not leave it up to the fighters.

10. dazbag

dazbag Manos Daz Piedra

^^^Ask Jeff Fenech what he thinks of Where's The Camera Cortez...calls him a flat-out cheat

11. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

I think the term is a bit overused but in certain situations it makes sense to say xyz has been exposed. Good examples include; Trinidad vs Delahoya, Jeff Lacy vs Joe Calzague, Barrera vs Prince.

12. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Another pet peeve of mine is when fans of a particular fighter exalt him in mythical matchups when his career doesn't support it. For example: Hamed fans consistently predict Hamed would've KOd great fighter after great fighter when he in fact never KOd a great fighter and lesser men went the distance against him. I'm sorry but knocking out the likes of Tom Johnson or a geriatric Vasquez doesn't equate to Hamed stopping greats like Azumah Nelson, Salvador Sanchez, Erik Morales, etc.

13. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

see, that's my point. tito was never going to be good against someone with a style like Oscar used that night. nothing was exposed, it was expected.

14. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

I'm not sure about the rest of your list but Morales would have given the Prince a bigger beating than Barrera. The prince broke too many cardinal rules of boxing. His unorthodox amateur style caught some lesser fighters off guard but as he stepped up in competition he was quickly EXPOSED.

15. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

I honestly don't remember what the betting odds were for that fight but I do remember it was a close fight. Up to that point Trinidad had basically steamrolled his competition, he was an exciting knockout artist. When Delahoya easily outboxed him it was shocking to see because everyone expected a bloody back and forth war. Not only that but boxing experts and pro boxers like Hopkins said Delahoya EXPOSED Trinindad.

16. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

People confused a loss with being exposed so you are correct. Exposed should be reserved for the fakes, frauds, phonies and the overhyped,

17. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

You must be a Trinidad fan LOL.

OK other than Trinidad do think the prince and Jeff Lacy were EXPOSED ?

Or is that word only reserved for guys like guys like Adrian Broner and Camacho Jr.?

18. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

prince hamed was hit way too often before he fought barrera. if someone with any skill such as barrera was to fight him and box him instead of going toe to toe, the result would always be the same.

people hurt him and went after him, that was the mistake they made. he was more dangerous hurt than when he wasn't.

19. Rebel

Rebel Admin

Who hurt him and went after him? Greats like Kelley and Augie Sanchez?

20. Playboy

Playboy Member

I can't say Trinidad got exposed because De La Hoya literally ran the last four rounds or whatever it was.
    He did a good job of out boxing him but who knows if he would've tired or eventually got caught.

I think Prince could've beaten or at least had a chance to beat Morales because Morales would've gone toe to toe.
    Barrera had success because he didn't engage which was different for him at the time. He reinvented himself in that fight.