Boxing Petpeeves

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Mexican Eagle, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

Boxing is by far my favorite sport and IMO the greatest sport out there. But there are things about boxing that I hate.

1.Corny music/clothing during entrances. I don't mind over the top ring entrances like the prince used to do back in the day...that was pretty funny. I'm talking about the stereotypical mariachi sombreros, trunks, robes rosary necklaces and music. Is that really necessary? It just comes across as a sleazy attempt to cash in on the Latino market. A good example although not a boxer would be Cain Velazquez. During his ring entrances he comes in with the music, the Mexico flag ect but its clear to see that it's not his style. Same with Canelo he seems more like a Fresa(yuppie) can't picture him looking like pancho Villa outside the ring. I'm talking The Irish green trunks,
    The Puerto Rican and Colombian flag on trunks. To be honest if I was a prize fighter I would wear some fresh boxing gear, nothing flashy and some upbeat music to get me pumped up. Nothing nationalistic. Tyson was Great no socks, black trunks, black shoes and a Terry cloth.

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

uh, but Tyson had an American flag on those black trunks, too.

if you knew where canelo was from, you'd know that banda reigns supreme. canelo was never a fresa.

3. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

I can see where you're coming from when it seems like some boxers are just trying to pander to the crowd and play up the sombrero shit. But on the other hand I think boxing is such a global sport that most fighters are from other countries and most of the time fighting in the US so of course they are going to ramp up the nationalistic pride and wave their flags. But yeah if its not really who you are (Robert Guerrero, Danny Garcia, Tito Ortiz etc.) put the flag away and just be yourself.

4. dazbag

dazbag Manos Daz Piedra

My pet peeve is commentators who can't see what they're supposed to be calling. I've actually found this to annoy me even more since MMA took off - the number of times Goldberg, Rogan or Anik shriek "nice knee!" or "nice right hand!" as the blow whistles past & misses by 6 inches drives me batshit crazy. No joke, next time you watch an MMA card, count how many times "nice" is said.

We even turned it into a drinking game which in turn we have since killed off because we had people struggling to make it past the prelims. Hear the word "nice", take a shot. Hear the word "nice" attached to a missed blow, take 2. Suffice to say shit got ugly fast...

5. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

Faceoff with Max Kellerman, I'm just not a fan of Max at all so I might be a little bias. I couldn't stand his commentary on ESPN fnf. Is this Guy supposed to be the future of HBO boxing? He got some big shoes to fill.

6. O-Dogg33

O-Dogg33 El Mero Mero

Yeah I miss Larry Merchant's smugness and cynicism. Merchant had earned his respect by all the years and years of covering boxing and putting in work, so we took his commentary to mean something. Sometimes I feel like Max is just trying too hard to come up with the perfect words or summation of the fight and it comes off forced.

[video=youtube;tOcC8FGAzMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOcC8FGAzMQ[/video]

7. Mexican Eagle

Mexican Eagle Member

Cool video, I think part of what makes boxing fun to watch is all the drama surrounding a big fight. And HBO and especially guys like Jim and old Larry have done a phenomenal job at hyping up a fight over the years. I'm not sure Max Kellerman can do that the way these two guys did it. Like you said Max lacks the credebility with hardcore boxingfans. Can you imagine Larry Merchant's father buying him his own cable show like Max?

8. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

that guy's mustache to the left of the screen is killer.

9. dazbag

dazbag Manos Daz Piedra

Couldn't stand that gin-soaked twat. There's a special place in hell for him with Jim Gray & Skip Bayless.

10. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Bayless is awful.

11. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Stuart Scott, his dead eye, and his bullshit Booyah along with Stephen A. Smith with his "how evah" have a special place reserved for them in hell, too.

12. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

They're awful too. I boycott anything that involves Scott, he just sickens me. Stephen A. is a buffoon.

13. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

werd

14. sanchito

sanchito BF Resident Douchebag

I love Larry Merchant...he talks like a print journalist and I love that...sometimes I didn't agree with him but I always enjoyed listening to him...he was that connection from the past to the present...I really miss him.

15. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Good point. He had a wealth of experience, you weren't going to slip much past him.

16. dazbag

dazbag Manos Daz Piedra

Knowledge is one thing. Being a professional asshole is a different box of skittles.

17. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

My biggest pet peeve is this old nonsense shit about "you have to knock down the champ to win". Angel Garcia said that at the news conference after Herrera beat his son.

So tell me, Angel, how many champs has Floyd beaten without knocking them down yet he still won?

In a fight, its two fighters...equals. They are to be judged evenly throughout the fight. Who's champ should have no bearing on how you judge a fight.

18. Playboy

Playboy Member

I agree with the latter part of your comment. It should be judged equal reguardless of where the bout takes place but it's a little different with Mayweather & this instance with Garcia.
    Garcia was in Puerto Rico.It was a homecoming of sorts.His backyard if you will.
    Floyd didn't fight champions in Mexico or wherever they hailed from.He would have to take the belt from the champ by leaving no doubts & winning convincingly not edging close rounds.

Since we're talking about boxing pet peeves let me throw my name in the ring (even though I probably mentioned this on a similar thread).
    I believe you should be allowed to punch your opponent on the belly button or along its equator.It's not my fault boxers wear their trunks so high you can't see it.
    It bothers me when the ref warns the body puncher to keep his punches up & proceeds to warn them a point deduction will ensue.
    Now you're deterring a boxer from using an aspect of his game & forcing him to become one dimensional.

19. Playboy

Playboy Member

I miss Larry even though his smugness & cynicism got to me at times but Max reminds me of a young Larry (without the cynicism) & he's passionate about boxing.
    He might try too hard to word things perfectly trying to come off more like a print journalist but he has big shoes to fill & I think he's doing a commendable job.

I'm guilty of liking Stephen A. Smith & Skip Bayless.
    Stephen A. used to be worse,a lot worse.He was always angry or seemed angry & yelling but it was his way to stand out & look where it's gotten him.
    I appreciate Skip because he dares to think outside the box,contrary to conventional wisdom.
    Stuart Scott.I'm sorry he has a dead eye or whatever & he might've had cancer.I wish him the best.May God bless him but he sucks as an anchor.
    Demote him.Tuck him away somewhere.
    He sounds like an affluent man desperately trying to gain street credibility or appease a younger demographic by implementing lingo into his vocabulary.It sounds forced & awkward.
    He's the worst.

Jim Gray seems insensitive to me.He doesn't respect boxers but I admire his willingness to ask the tough questions no matter the circumstance but still don't be rude about it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  20. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Angel said that to cast the decision in a good light and to divert attention away from Danny's lackluster performance.