BARRERA Vs MORALES - Discuss the fight and the decision HERE !!

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Remus, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Yobbo

Yobbo Member

I just finished watching it and had it 115-114 to Morales.

2. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JayDawg:

I had to stop paying attention to Lederman. Thats what happens to alot of people. They pay attention to what the commentators be saying and it causes alot of contraversy. The fight could have went either way there were a couple of rounds that could have went either way like the first and second round. So I just split both of them and my final score was a draw. But my beef is to the people that are calling it a robbery. I just didn't see it that way. If you felt Morales won then cool thats your opinion but it was no where near a robbery. Just like the Mayweather and Castillo fight I rewatched that and called it a draw but if anybody was a winner it would have been Castillo but it was some rounds that could have went either way. I payed attention to Lederman and the commentators. But not anymore. HOLLA!
    <hr></blockquote>

Pretty rare that we agree. I guess that means you are right for once :D I am just joking. MAB-Morales was not a robbery because there were swing rounds that could have gone either way. They were THAT close. I think HBO was giving to much credit to Morales for just coming forward and being busy although he was missing a lot of the punches.

3. Mark G

Mark G Member

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BIGDAWG:
    Personally I had Morales winning the fight. Immediately after the fight you could see it in MAB's manerisms that he thought he lost. But like Mayweather, and Tito you get decisions like this. Christmas comes more than once a year for certain individuals.

Just a quick question for you p4p'ers that like to change your ratings. Does this now move MAB down on the list kinda like the way ya'll moved Mayweather down? Or does this move Morales up. I mean judging from Morales' last couple fights and MAB's one could assume that this would have been an easy blowout for MAB. So once again I ask. Does MAB get bumped down like ya'll did Floyd. I'll Holla 5000
    <hr></blockquote>

First of all, let me say that I didn't think that Mayweather should be moved down very far at all. Just that Castillo should be moved up. I will say that this was a closer fight than Mayweather/Castillo on my card. Barrera, much like Castillo, closed out the fight by being the more effective fighter in the later rounds. Also, I don't know if anyone picked Castillo to beat Mayweather and Castillo was a HUGE underdog (although I think it was people underrating Castillo more than overrating Mayweather, Floyd is still great as I expect him to show in the future). Although most people picked Barrera to win, their first fight featured moments for both fighters and indicated that a rematch just might be competitive. Morales has been a biggers star than Castillo over the last few years. All four fighters are ten top pound for pounders. Floyd and Barrera are both still up there. If they went down, it was only very little.

4. andrew

andrew Member

Nice fight, i enjoyed it nearly more then the first one.

First round Morales won, Barrera just got backed up for nearly all the first 6 rounds throwing the odd combination here and there.

Bad decision, but i hope everyone recognises Morales as top 10 P4P, higher then Barrera.

Morales v Ayala makes for a good fight and maybe down the track a 3rd fight between these two.

5. andrew

andrew Member

And also what was up with Nady, that guy should be shot. I only saw one veiw of the KD and it looked legit too me.

How many fuckin warnings did he have to give Barrera before a point would have been taken off?

Barrera fought dirty head butting and holding behind the head.

6. Punchy

Punchy Pimp

I didn't see the fight...they should be playing it again soon on Fox, from what I hear, so I will watch it then!

Too busy today, but I wanna see it when I have the time [​IMG]

7. JayDawg

JayDawg Guest

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by andrew:
    And also what was up with Nady, that guy should be shot. I only saw one veiw of the KD and it looked legit too me.

How many fuckin warnings did he have to give Barrera before a point would have been taken off?

Barrera fought dirty head butting and holding behind the head.
    <hr></blockquote>

If you see the replay you will clearly see Barrera left foot slipped while Morales hit him in the stomach. It was a good call by Nady. HOLLA!

8. Punchy

Punchy Pimp

If you see the replay you will clearly see Barrera left foot slipped while Morales hit him in the stomach. It was a good call by Nady. HOLLA!
    <hr></blockquote>

It's funny how last time MAB was "robbed" and Morales suffered a "bogus" knockdown...

This time, Morales was "robbed"...so to make it fair, MAB should have suffered a "bogus" KD (officially) ;) lol

9. andrew

andrew Member

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, i only saw one view of the punch.

Nady must have warned Barrera 8 times about headbutting and not even one point taken away.

10. JayDawg

JayDawg Guest

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Punchy:

It's funny how last time MAB was "robbed" and Morales suffered a "bogus" knockdown...

This time, Morales was "robbed"...so to make it fair, MAB should have suffered a "bogus" KD (officially) ;) lol
    <hr></blockquote>

Well Morales still got the bogus win last time. So it really didn't matter. HOLLA!

11. JayDawg

JayDawg Guest

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by andrew:

Yeah, i only saw one view of the punch.

Nady must have warned Barrera 8 times about headbutting and not even one point taken away.
    <hr></blockquote>

I can't argue with that. HOLLA!

12. Punchy

Punchy Pimp

Well Morales still got the bogus win last time. So it really didn't matter. HOLLA!
    <hr></blockquote>

And MAB got the "bogus" win THIS time...so adding a controversial KD to the mix would have made it funny, cause it would be exactly what happened during the first meeting...only a role reversal, lol

It was just a joke!
    ;)

13. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

And MAB got the "bogus" win THIS time...so adding a controversial KD to the mix would have made it funny, cause it would be exactly what happened during the first meeting...only a role reversal, lol

It was just a joke!
    ;)
    <hr></blockquote>

Not trying to stir shit but I don't think it was bogus. I think it was close enough to go either way to be honest. HBO was giving Morales some rounds he didn't really win.

14. Punchy

Punchy Pimp

Yeah, I know...stop trying to start shit, Val :D

15. Remus

Remus Member

I just finished watching this fight. I'm surprised at the people who think it was a clear Morales victory. VERY surprised.

While I think Morales did enuf to win, the fight certianly could have gone either way. I have issues with the scorecards being as wide as they were. That was a joke. But the decision...while controversial was not highway robbery.

After reading all about this before I watched it, I'm wondering how people score fights. I'm not saying that I'm right, but I give more credit for EFFECTIVE aggression wen I score as opposed to just plain aggression. Sure, Morales worked harder early on, but he was inaccurate and almost sloppy. The cleaner shots were MAB's.

I got into the same arguement about Mundine/ Soliman. Cleaner shots, even if they are FEWER should always SCORE better. It's the old adage my trainer used to tell me:

"One shot with good EXECUTION is worth a dozen shots of good INTENTION."

16. Punchy

Punchy Pimp

Shhhh, Remus, Morales was ROBBED, ok?

I have not seen the fight, but I want that tape, which means Morales had to have been robbed :D [​IMG]

17. robert

robert Guest

I had it a draw as well. But if the judges award just one more round to either fighter, it's a 115-113 fight, so hardly a highway robbery.
    I thought both guys looked lackluster in there and were missing punches all over the place. And neither really capitalized on opportunities presented to them; 1. barrera doing nothing but miss when morales would miss his right hands and fall in with his hands down, especially early in the bout. He was wide open and barrera couldn't pull the trigger or land if he did throw. 2. morales didn't throw accurately whatsoever with his 3rd or 4th punch of his combinations and barrera was standing right in front of him & not moving his head much. And morales sure didn't utilize his jab very much and it was available all night. I'd be pressed to call it a C+ for either guy & maybe father time is making an appearence with their reflexes.

18. Remus

Remus Member

Shhhh, Remus, Morales was ROBBED, ok?<hr></blockquote>

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Lefthooker

Lefthooker Member

I thought the best analogy of the fight was the comparison to Tito-DLH.
    A close, disputed decision, but, IMO at least, not a 'robbery'.I would not have been upset if it had gone the other way (my scorecard read 114-114, but my 'sense' of the fight was that Morales had built up too big a lead and Barrera waited too long)
    I was definitely surprised at how low key MAB was for the first half of the fight, because he was very effective when he attacked.
    Still,it was a decent fight - nothing like their first epic.
    Also, Barrera did do a lot of 'invisible' work in close that the judges obviously gave him credit for.
    Also, like Trinidad-Hoya, neither guy was at his absolute best.

20. amth

amth Guest

<hr></blockquote>

is a knockdown when you go down at the end of a punch?

It was a knock down, once MAB got up he was taken back, so he was hurt and knocked down from that punch.

As for people saying MAB was hitting harder, that's BS the first 6 rounds all he did was slap, it looked like he had no power behind his punches, while Morales was snapping his head back with HARD jabs and getting in some good rights. I think they jobbed Morales beasue of the first fight. Boxing is going down the shitter and FAST!

All these "super" fights are being ruined becasue of promoters greed.

I had morales by 2 rounds, yes there was alot of close rounds, but Morales was the one that looked like he wanted to fight. I think MAB just got a big head and thought he could outbox Morales, which he can not.
    I think Morales should fight Paulie next and then the winner of Hamed Vs Tapia. He would KO Hamed for sure. I know have Morales higher on my p4p list than MAB, he clearly has better skills!